Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Working for the Soul

I have posted elsewhere (FB and emails) about my days of work recently. The cool fall weather, the dormancy of ticks, and the necessity of the size of weeds at summers end have motivated us to clear parts of the forest on either side of the long drive to the house. The wooded view as we drove in was no longer enticing and welcoming, but more like spooky and scary, and while appropriate for the Halloween season, it seems out of place when welcoming guests at other times of the year.

We have now cleared the leaning and/or dead trees that rested against each other and formed a sheltered structure for the wild roses that in turn learned to climb to the tops of the lovely and healthy maples, dogwood, and holly trees and shaded them from sun. I pruned limbs and prickly vines and then piled them beside the road in the clearing. We had piles of dead wood and piles of scratchy brush all of which was later gathered in our arms and placed in the old wooden trailer we use for hauling large amounts of 'stuff'. Hubby bravely climbed on top and did the elephant dance to smash it all down so that we could grab more armfuls and put on top once again.

Frequently the angry roses would grab our butts and legs refusing to be dumped. I still have a tiny thorn in my arm that will have to fester its way to the surface.

Hubby and I argued about what wood to take to the dump and what to cut into firewood. We have enough firewood to last through the winter of 2012, so I was inclined to get rid of much of the wood. (This will ensure that global climate cha
nge really will be global warming.) This photo is just one of the long piles we have waiting for the first cold weather. The problem is that some of this wood is old and some still too new for burning and in our dedicated rhythm we were not as careful in stacking as we should have been.


The wrens and the flickers were not happy that we took away so much dead wood, but eventually forgave us when they saw how may broken tree stumps we left behind for them to poke through. They will have a rich larder of wood insects through the coming snows. We also left enough small bush areas for the mice and other small animals to find shelter.


The free crepe myrtle that was planted at the end of my flower bed two years ago got moved with the help of Pedro. He works for a landscape company and knows exactly how to dig and move small trees. The shape of the crepe was not long and lean but more like an umbrella-shaped weeping willow, and therefore, taking up too much flower bed space. We (actually Pedro and hubby did the work) also joined the two flower beds and I now have a good sunny place to transplant my scattered roses this fall. (More work!)

This is the crepe myrtle shape I had hoped for!


My new rose bed.

After these past three days, the old joints ache with fatigue and overuse and my arms are scratched as if I had wrestled with a mountain cat, but soaking in my jacuzzi in the late afternoon before starting dinner was a reward enjoyed so much more because of my hard work. I am thankful that I do not hate hard work. I am thankful that the goal is its own reward for me. Besides, now I don't have to do any exercises this week!

10 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place you have, Tabor! And isn't that the most wonderful kind of 'tired'--after very physical, hard labor, and such a feeling of satisfaction. :) Can you just go ahead and ship your excess firewood here to Ships Landing? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its looking more organised than I expected. The weather here is grey and drizzling. So dark that the lights have been on all day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds exhausting.. and painful. You sure do have a lot of space to work with and did a fine job of clearing and stacking. How rewarding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beautiful. But being a few years down the road from you - and I have done this in the past - you are creating a lot of work for yourself. Enjoy - it is tiring but when you view all you have created it will bring such joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks terrific and I applaud your efforts. Our yard, on all sides, is wooded and needs clearing. I cannot do it and that is not something that mr. kenju has ever done (or would). There is no much poison ivy that I refuse to even walk in one section. We have it sprayed, but it returns.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire your hard work. The resulting punishment is something that I would not like though. I used to come in from trimming pyracantha and my roses looking like I had been to war. I would never do it again.

    Your yard is lovely, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see I should have proof-read before I clicked post!!

    Thanks for the visit, Tabor. Here are your five words - please let me know when you publish this one:

    brave
    epitaph
    imagination
    salute
    tempest

    ENJOY!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! I'm a bit envious of your bounty of wood, I'll be buying firewood soon.

    I wonder if you have poorer, wood-burning neighbors who could use your surplus? Get your wood hauled and help someone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, the end result is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness me, you did work hard! Judging from the pictures, it's all been worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.