Thursday, November 12, 2009

Rushing (T)Rains

I had just returned from two days of taking care of two preschool grandchildren last night. They had tag-teamed me and while the deafening roar of children screaming, laughing, crying, shouting was still ringing in my ears, I removed faded jeans and sweatshirt to put on the softer pajamas as I heard the roaring and banging of the weather. The wind has been pummeling this end of the bay for over 24 hours. The rain bangs intermittently on my kitchen skylight and I can see the glisten of water in every area hit by outside lights.

I had arrived in the dark and hurried out of my car in the pelting rain to open the gate. There were no trees down in my driveway, but I am too far from the dock to see how high the water is and it is too dark to see if the wind has brought down trees elsewhere in the yard. I snuggled down beneath the covers so thankful that I have shelter from the storm and can worry about damage until tomorrow.

The continuing tempest of nature woke me at 4:00 this morning and I am sitting here waiting for the sun to push a little gray light through the tropical storm clouds. I am curious to see the sudden transformation of naked trees and also to see if there is damage. This lovely summer without any storm made me complacent and I am surprised by this violent aftermath of late summer that pushed her way up here in our late fall.

The sound of rushing trains continues as I post.

9 comments:

  1. Tabor, the rain missed my area. The wonderful winds blew away most of my leaves. They are banked heavily around my cottage.
    Glad you made if safely back to the gate and on to the snug comfort of your home. Hope that other half returns soon to you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you didn't have trouble getting home. I went to bed wondering if we would have downed trees today, but I haven't discovered any yet. we've had 3" of rain in 2 days and it is very windy now. It is inevitable that some trees fall. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it's all over by now and there's been no real damage done. We have storms forecast for tomorrow. Our house sits in the centre of a funnel formed by the valley and the hills either side, it'll be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that daylight didn't bring the sight of damage. It must have been nerve wracking to be unable to see what was going on.

    I wish you could send some of that rain here. We have had virtually no rain all year. It is getting to be a crisis, but the powers that be still do not ask for rationing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad you are safely home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The last time I heard the rushing train sound, it was a small tornado that uprooted a tree in the back yard. Oh, your blue spruces, they ain't got deep roots, the guy with the expensive wood chipper observed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah yes, Sears. I only buy appliances there. No Macy's, no other chain stores.....ah, poor me. So glad despite the ravages of sales persons that you made it home and I so hope you found your world intact when you got up.

    Buddhist....I was just blindly following all suggestions at that time. The I Ching always said these truisms that I understood only later. :)

    Thanks for taking the time to leave me a note in the middle of the trains and crashings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The weather's under the weather. If we listen to what's happening around us, something's really wrong. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds more than a little scary. I'd be fretting for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.