Monday, November 23, 2009

That Digital Sugar High

I listened to a program on MSNBC  (I think) that was discussing how hard it is for people to stop checking their Bl**kberries or logging into FB or Blogger on their computers at least a dozen times a day. They were addicted to any new items from friends or from news feeds. The network interviewed a psychiatrist and she said that our brains were hardwired for the novel. We automatically were intrigued by a new view, a new vision or new news. Therefore this new social networking was like a chemical addiction for the brain. She actually said is was like sugar for our brain.  My husband, who does not own a hand-held personal communication device like a Bl**kberry, said that on his travels many of the people he met with had these little electronic devices in hand and were checking routinely.  (It is almost as if they were waiting for a tweet that the world is indeed coming to an end.)

I find this so true. We want that quick interesting new hit. But we don't really have time or energy to follow the deeper links and really understand that new/new. We read about some climate disaster, or a celebrity breakup, or political icon's last interview or that next emerging plague, but we don't research beyond the initial report. We don't apply critical thinking. What was the extent of the disaster? How are people coping days later? Where did Palin get the facts to make that scary statement? What really is the definition of a plague that they are using and what are the chances this new germ will affect me personally?  Why do I read anything about Paris Hilton anyway?  I have written before my concern about our schools no longer teaching critical thinking skills.  Analysis of what we feed our brain, instead of just feeding our brain is key.

We don't have time for deep thought anymore.  We are unexcited unless there is blood or spittle.  We are even bored at trying to think deeply about an issue, finding it hard to really study other sides and see other angles.   It is always on to the next exciting news or photo or embarrassing event.  We are always on to the next roadside accident which makes it all so simple.  Everything is black and white or start and stop and never gray and there is an endless supply of this novel two bit stuff.


That is one of the reasons I have my other blog. It forces me to sloooow dooown. It forces me to study what is happening in the very small area of my world where I live on a day to day basis. It creates a habit for me to see how I fit within that quiet realm before I try to react in the larger scheme of things. Then when I am breathing at a normal rhythm, if I see something of interest, I know that I need to ask questions about it and not just skim it and then repeat the nonsense to someone else as if I really know what I am talking about. (Maybe I need to research this report?)

5 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about "crackberries". I don't have one and I don't want one. I have ceased watching the news (mostly), and what little I get is through friends or on the computer - but I am on that way too much and everyone says I am addicted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss talking face to face, or on the phone, or writing letters. And I'm very tired of people texting or reading text messages when we are having a conversation. It's rude and disrespectful of the person your with.
    There are a number of people that send me stuff that they have just taken at face value, without check to see if any of it is true. Please tell me they don't really believe everything that's out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are, as they say, singing my song. I have constantly repeated that critical thinking should be a required course in all schools.

    I don't know how many times I have returned an e-mail from several friends informing them that the crap (pardon the word) they just sent me is false according to Snopes. But the garbage continues to arrive in my in-box. Arrrgh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm "skimming". I know what you mean. Since Ive retired, and enjoyed the luxury of time, Ive mostly done arty or crafty things, or gardened. ie used my hands, not my enquiring mind. Even meditation should include looking deeply, but I think I "skim" too much. Youve given me food for thought, Tabor :o)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.