Saturday, November 14, 2009

This and That

What does it say about us when we post colored charts for threat levels on terrorism and Canada posts colored charts for this .

I decided that I would adjust my blog settings so that any comments that come in more than 10 days after a post would be held until I could moderate. I did this because for some reason blogger lets spam and scam through for commenting on older posts. I get comment posts weeks later and of course I don't get back fast enough to read those posts to delete. So now they sit on my dashboard hidden until I decide to delete. I have been getting quite a few lately.

I also have been feeling guilty for not commenting on some blogs. I read the entry but can't really think of anything interesting to say when everyone ahead of me has said the same thing. So I just keep my keyboard shut.


My husband's trip took him across the many, many, many islands in the Indonesian chain as well as some bordering countries. Indonesia is both Muslim and Christian but Bali is mostly a hybridized Hindu. He noticed that the island and/or villages where the majority of citizens were either Muslim or Christian remained relatively peaceful and the areas where the division was 50/50 or 40/60 were full of rancor and anger as each group fought for control of the local political system. Why does God make people so angry? I know, I know...just had to write that

While staying at my daughter's house last week a young father came by with his son to play with my grandson. As we got to talking I learned that his wife worked for the FDA and was in the office where they worked on drug approvals for humans. He said she had been there for 10 years. I asked how she liked her job and he said that during the past administration their budget had been cut substantially and they had also felt pressured to get drug approvals moving faster and she had been very miserable. Now she is happy as they have been given a decent budget and are being allowed to do their job as professional scientists without any outside interference.

I took hundreds of photos of fall scenery over the last month and recently found that my camera settings had been on a lower resolution than I usually have. I guess it was from fiddling around with settings that I don't really understand as I experimented with photos. When I was younger I could immediately figure out a camera setting and easily focus on the subject. Now with age I forget to make changes and focus...well even depending on autofocus doesn't always work! I do not like getting old, but I do love having the time to play with the camera.


Hubby brought back a number of gifts from the islands...most from him but some from friends of his. I will post on that later. They are not the usual things one brings from an overseas trip.

9 comments:

  1. Sorry about the photos. I also forget to make changes in the camera settings (although mine are less detailed than yours!)

    And you know God doesn't make people do anything. We have Free Will and so he allows us to get into trouble on our own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were spot on with your thoughts of this and that. I think you read my mind....I do not comment as much on blogs, I do not even read them like I used to and I miss it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, thanks for the tips about the notes. I'll check.

    And don't ever worry about leaving notes on my blog. I'm not writing anything that needs an answer this month.

    Yup, I whip out the camera, take fifty pictures, and gosh, I forgot to turn the dial to what ever setting I wanted. I be blur when I wanted focus. LOL

    Stay warm and enjoy your other half's return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been that way since the beginning with cameras and have lots of odd brain stories to tell from my childhood.

    Good to hear the report on the FDA worker. Yet another near casualty from the Bush years.

    I did miss you a while back when you hadn't commented in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are an interesting writer indeed. I like this blog a lot and will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean about everyone else commenting before you what you would have commented. I try to just say "ditto" in order to let the blogger know I'm still reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. quite a bag of mixed salad today; so how does one answer that?

    I like to have people's thoughts on a variety of questions, I find I run out of answers sooner if a blog has the same or a similar subject for weeks on end. So a ramble is a good thing occasionally.

    Why shouldn't Canada have a coloured chart for the dangers or otherwise of flu? Flu is so much nearer to our daily fears than the threat of terrorism. When we had the IRA bombing campaigns in London we all went to work on the Underground like we always did, but get someone sneezing close to you and you'd try to turn your face away, afraid of catching a bug.

    Religion is a vexed problem; mankind tends to lay blame for anything on higher authorities or even just our neighbour; one of these days we'll learn to accept responsibility. ??? no, I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Friko, I mentioned the chart because it is a more intellectual and useful chart. What on earth do we do with a colored terror chart!! It doesn't provide any guidance. Just typical of our former administration...something to keep us afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tabor, I'd love to discuss plants and things with you. Gardening is close to my heart, as you know.

    As for the roses, I'd move them very soon, even though they are still flourishing. Bare rooted plants (other than evergreens) need a while to re-establish themselves in new ground. By moving them soon you allow the roots to dig themselves into the ground before the plant has to think about producing new growth next spring.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.