Wednesday, December 09, 2009

90% done

Things I  learned today (and which you probably have no interest in):

  • New PCs (with an II X 4 910 processor) are faster but not amazingly faster than my old one.
  • Windows 7 WILL lock up if you are trying to install some driver or software that is not compatible and then it will not let you get the CD out and then it WILL crash.  You know that commercial where the PC guy tries to one-up the laid back Apple guy?  Not so funny anymore, somewhat like a documentary in my view.  Good thing I know just enough about computers to get myself out of trouble.
  • The design of this new HP has the button on the top right corner where it is very easy to hit and turn off when all you are doing is checking a connection in the back of the PC.
  • It also has a very CHEESY CD eject button.  Something one would find on a much cheaper computer.
  • The new wider HD monitor that I got for almost free because I had a coupon from Best Buy is to die for.  Now I can watch all those important YOUTUBE productions of people's cats and babies in high resolution....!
  • After an entire day I have one printer up and running...the free one I got with my camera purchase years ago that uses tons of expensive ink.
  • I have not given up on the old workhorse HP932C printer because I just spent $30 on a cable for it!
  • I worked for about ten minutes clicking and restarting and by luck got both monitors to display!
  • I have not purchased any new software and am forcing the older software to work...for now.
  • The house has not been vacuumed in days nor laundry done because my husband had an old laptop repaired when I got my new one and we are glued to our separate PCs right now.
  • Interesting but the new monitor makes some of my photos look worse than I thought and others much better.  Go figure.  Must be my old eyesight. 
  • And as an aside I find the nerdy geeks that repair or adjust my PCs when I do call them in are really nice kids and homemade cookies go a long way.  It is the developers that are aliens from outer space!
  • This is both my birthday and Christmas gift I have been told, and I love it in spite of all the getting to know you dance (war). 

10 comments:

  1. 90% is good. No doubt you'll accomplish the last 10% before too long.

    Probably not the best time to say it, but I love my Mac.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, congrats on the new HP. I got one about 6 months ago to handle big photoshop jobs and it came with Vista. But the sales guy kept telling me that I get a free Windows 7 when it came out and it would solve all the Vista compatibility problems. Of course I had not compatability problems with Vista. But installed my exciting new Windows 7 anyway and...lo and behold...crashes galore! Computers! Gotta love'm. Gotta hate'em. Can't shoot'em. Well, I guess you could.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you know what to do to solve your problems. I have to rely on the kindness of strangers (or my kids).....lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. My birthday, anniversary and Christmas gift happens to be Buddy, my new puppy.

    My anniversary, birthday and cCristmas fall within a month of each other. What poor planing is that:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Typoglycemia

    CHRISTMAS

    ReplyDelete
  6. That commercial about PC vs Mac IS a documentary! But, at least you've got it working mostly and I think the idea of cookies for the geeks is a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing old is compatible with my Vista. I hate the new Word 2007. Now doesn't all that sound as if I am spoiled. I am spoiled by the 2003....which worked fine. Oy!

    If you can, use that old computer to print out the holiday letters. That will save much heartache. Hugs from here and thanks for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can identify with what you are going through I don't have a new computer, but had two major crashes and had to do 3 recoveries.

    R: Computer geeks; I spent hours and hours on the phone with Earthlink techies, ending with the senior supervisor and they were unable to get me on line. After four days of frustration my friendly guru came over and had me on line in about 15 minutes. I have now changed providers and Earthlink is now history. Much to my amazement, broadband that I now have is much faster than DSL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank goodness I have a computer literate neighbor who has pulled my puter out of the fire more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of a sudden I'm quite happy with the computers I have and will be marking that request for a new one off my wish list.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.