Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Catbird Seat

Since we got this bird theme going I will continue in that vein.  This is where I am on certain days, the catbird seat.  Days that I visit my grandchildren I am definitely in the Catbird Seat.  The grandchildren are of that age where they will race away from the dinner table to stand in the doorway allowing cold winter winds to blow around them and into the house as they wait excitedly for us to unload the car, bring in our stuff, and hug them.

The Princess has gotten new plastic shoes that sparkle blue in the dark and both she and her brother, the Prince, each had a shoe in their hand which they would wave high over their heads from the porch doorway while they screamed our names jumping up and down with glee.  Yes, this is actual glee which is not often seen at least by me in real life.  It is very, very cool, especially when you are the cause of it.  I do not remember getting quite so much glee from my own children, now that I think about it.


If this is not the catbird seat, I do not not know where that would be.  I know that the days are not far away when these children will barely raise their eyes from a television screen or a phone screen or a computer screen to greet us with a quick smile. Precious time races on.


As I enter the house, I am trying to avoid the ice patch on the walkway and trying to hang onto the two bags I have packed and trying not to knock over the two toddlers who cannot get any closer to my legs as they try to get my undivided attention.  I am being very careful.  One heavy bag has the gift of blood oranges and ice melt, both pretty heavy, for my daughter and the other has my overnight things.  As I set down the bags, I begin to hear the endless musical blend of toddler chatter...

"Neena, (that is the name they call me) we have pork chops and beans for dinner and Princess has these new shoes-look at me walk in my shoes and the lights go bong!-come see my ball with the arms which spring open if it gets attacked or if a rock falls on it like this it just goes CRASH and rolls onto the floor-I know that 3 and 3 are six and 3 and 4 are seven-Daddy is at the hockey game-I have ants on my pajamas-I have candy on my pajama pants-we have your plate at the table-see here is your fork-are you coming to my show tomorrow?-I can brush Tinker Bell's hair with this new brush-see, Neena, see-do you want me to brush your hair?-are your sleeping in this room or downstairs?-what is that green thing in your bag?-I have to go pee-pee..."
Since these little ones are talking non-stop I fail to hear any breathing between phrases and just let the words fall about my ears like colored gum drops as I smile and kiss and oooh and ahh in all the right places.
I could sit on this Catbird perch forever.


15 comments:

  1. I love your Catbird chair!! I have been there too and it is music to my ears. I will give you some hope. Mine are older and still rise up and hugs and kiss me with lots of love and joy!! I am still in that Catbird chair.
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tabor, I relate so to your Catbird chair. The little ones are like yours. The older show me lots of love when they visit. But it is not quite the same as when they are little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, what a lovely seat to be in.

    At some point we lose the art of being joyful, of just exhibiting exuberance, of being gleeful over the small wonders in life.

    Isn't it a pleasure to witness?

    Thank you so much for making me think of that. Just the thought of a time in life when EVERYTHING was worth celebrating. Shoes. Ducks. Mashed potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you lucky woman. I am just green with envy. The few our six children have produced are ll young teens and hardly see us for gadgets and schoolwork and rock music and friends on the phone and wii games.

    Make it last and take every last bit of enjoyment that you can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have taken some beautiful pictures with you camera (they can take my breath away!), but the picture you just painted in this post was by far superior. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhhhhhhh....the joys of grandparenthood! You are right that there will come a time when they will hardly acknowledge your presence, so drink it all in now! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is true that there is less excitement and novelty when they greet you as they get older, but for some reason many grandchildren remain interested in grandparents. Some of mine actually read my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm left saying Oh, yes, ohyes, oh yes as I read. I have pictures of Alex wrapped around George's leg as he tries to walk. Everyone is screaming happily ...you can tell. Other grandkids race to wrap themselves around him too.

    Simply lovely moments these. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm there as well over 24 years with seven of them and now 6 great grandchildren taking the chattering places of the older ones, and I love every moment as well.

    This is a precious post.

    Dorothy from grammology
    grammology.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tabor, Colleen asked me to tell you that she is unable to leave comments here. They are asking for her mobile phone number and she says she doesn't have one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It worked today. I'm feeling some glee but it doesn't compare to the glee in this post, which I enjoyed reading about yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No one could say it better. Grandchildren's words "fall about my ears like colored gum drops". Oh I love that descriptive statement from a very observant Catbird.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's wonderful and touching, isn't it, the enthusiasm of a child?
    And the catbird seat is the greatest fun to be in :)
    Your words are magically written!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cherish those "catbird dsys" with the grands. As you say they do vanish too soon.

    I got a puppy to fill the void since my local little ones are growing so fast. I miss the "old days"that you described.

    However,"Buddy" is so excited to see me each day I expect him to do a "Snoopy" happy dance through the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. PS I honestly had never heard of "the catbird seat" but figured what you meant. And then Gwen Iffil on the PBS News Hour said "catbird seat!" After all these years of oblivion to it, I hear it twice in one day.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.