Saturday, January 02, 2010

Cold Windy Day!



Being retired means, for most people, that everyday is Saturday or Sunday.  Baring economic hardship, you can pretty much do what you want.  Baring guilt trips or health restrictions you can pretty much do it as long as you want.  Baring the attitudes of people you live with you can do it all day if you want.


Lie in bed and pull the covers over your head on a cold windy winter morning.
Grab the binoculars and watch the bird feeder for hours until your stomach reminds you that you have eaten nothing yet today.
Drink your coffee slowly and mindfully rather than in scalding sips on the way to work.
Read an entire book in one sitting.
Watch more than one movie on DVD in an afternoon.
Spend an afternoon wondering how on such a windy and cold day the geese can manage to tack their way flying down the river pulling into stalls and then tacking to the other side to continue with their progress.  Takes them much longer on a day like today.  Spend another hour trying to get a good photograph of that challenge.

And if you have a little Puritan work ethic in your soul, as I do, go through all those old files in the basement with your husband and reduce them to 30% by tossing or shredding the 60%...
OR actually exercise through an entire episode of NCIS which you have seen several times before!

12 comments:

  1. And again, a happy new year sent your way. Hugs too...from a lady whose Puritan ethic vanished years ago. I did do nothing very well tho. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. whew! I'm tired...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Retirement sounds good!

    I wish more retired people would realize there's a whole world out there for them to freely explore.

    As a stay-at-home mom, I've learned to take at least a couple hours a day while the kids are at school to do something of own choosing.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. With minor differences, you described my days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, that was splendid. And now I envy. Alarmingly so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am watching episodes of THE COMMISH on Hulu. Hulu is one of the greatest inventions for this retired gal because if I run out of Netflix movies, I can watch other Netflix online or I can watch multiple things on Hulu.

    We dash in and out just long enough to take care of the animals. Then we sleep. I've had so many naps that I was awake all night last night. Pretty soon I'll be ready for another nap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Proud of you. I am still oranizing and have been going through the mountain of paper work on my desk. What is retirement?
    I have not arrived there as of yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry, you lost me when you started to talk about shredding and exercising. But I thoroughly approve of everything else you did before then.

    We have been unable to get out, except on foot, since the day before Christmas Eve. it's been loely. I've done a lot of thinking, reading, writing, watching TV, eating and drinking.
    It's been really hard work.

    I've been thinking about blogging: yours is one of the blogs that keeps me at it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Retirement is good..

    Dorothy from grammology
    grammology.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. My kind of life! I just wrote something along the same vein.

    ReplyDelete
  11. not retired, but i have been unemployed for a very long time. i am so lucky to have married a wonderful man who loves my writing, who is willing to support me while i write. i'd rather be in the lab researching my birds, but writing and reading about science all day long sure beats the tremendous stress and struggle to pay the rent by working a host of odd jobs for cash under-the-table!

    ReplyDelete
  12. found you through Land of Shimp's blog and what a fortuitous finding it is! your photos are wonderful and your postings a delight to read.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.