Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Mask of Zorro - Part II




It is easy to see in the above photo why I call him Zorro. I let him sleep in and didn't bring him out into the living room until 8:00 although I was very concerned about how he had survived the night. I had prepared a breakfast of chopped dates, and chopped green grapes and found some raspberry newton cookies and actually proceeded to scoop out the raspberry filling in small portions to add to this sugar fix.   I added a few chopped walnuts for fat and salt.  I am quite the gourmet bird chef when given a chance and if I had the opportunity I might expand his diet so that is would be more balanced!

He had kept the fresh water that I gave him last night poop free, so I left it alone and then slid in the plastic lid of chopped fruit. We had also given him some dried grass heads to nestle in during the night and to this I added the fragrant cedar branches that had been picked the night before so that he might feel more at home.

He looked very alert and was hopping around the cage and onto the grass sprigs. I brought him out from the laundry room and placed him near the window that frames the bird feeders in the distance and he started immediately grooming himself. Such vanity this species has!

I decided that he looked healthy enough to be set free, so I placed him in the garage to get used to the colder temperatures.  An hour later I saw a cedar waxwing high on the oak tree in my back yard and hurried into the garage to see if I could do some match-making.

I placed the cage on the deck table outside where we keep the heated water for wild birds. I slid open the bird cage door and stepped back. He looked out carefully through the opening and in a few seconds hopped to the edge of the open door. A minute after that he hopped onto to the table. He hurried to the table's edge and I could almost read his mind. He wanted so much to take off to the wonderful trees on all sides. He could not believe he was free!  He hopped to the other edge of the table and glanced up again and then waited.  After five minutes of this we realized that something was really wrong with his wing(s). He made no attempt to even jump to the deck railing although he was clearly thinking about it.







Hubby scooped him up in his hands and he carefully placed him back in the cage. I called the rescue number I had found on the Internet. After talking to the woman at the other end she told me that she keeps her rescued birds in her garage, so Zorro is going back to that climate and after hubby's dental appointment this afternoon, he is heading to this convalescent home for birds.

I will post more tomorrow.

11 comments:

  1. Wow. He is very Zorro-like. I hope the best for him. He does look healthy.

    Heated water for the birds, really?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peruby, the water is heated so that is does not freeze. It really is not warm water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is a beautiful bird. What a joy to have him visit,even if just for a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:15 AM

    I hope he comes good he is such a handsome fellow.
    I love the idea of heating the water for them, I would absolutely do that too.
    xxm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet, tender story....I was spellbound to read it all....I do hope he heals....you were his guardian angel...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tabor, thank you for this story.
    Hope wellness is wished for him so he can once again be part of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nurse Tabor you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  8. He is a beautiful bird and his name is most appropriate.

    I hope he will be able to fly some day, but if not Zorro would make a nice pet.

    My sister rescued birds and I admire those who care for the little critters. Good for you !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zorro was soooo lucky to find you. And lucky that there is a nearby rehab place too. Interesting how he seems to sense that you are there to help him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's such a little beauty, it?

    You're good people. I could just hug you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. He's really pretty and so lucky to have you! Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.