Monday, February 15, 2010

Appearances Can Be Deceiving

I was trying to remember how I felt about my appearance when I was in my twenties, just married, and not bogged down by the demands of small children.  While I was pretty self-conscious during my teenage years, I think in my twenties I didn't think about my appearance very much at all.  I was living a new married adventure.  I pretty much kept my hair in a pony tail and the only make-up was the little lipstick I sometimes wore.  After all, I lived on a 'remote' tropical island that was frequently without water or electricity and where the daily temperature always made you sweat...who cared what I looked like?


I guess the good thing about living in the remote areas of the world is that there was no television to remind me that I needed improvements through magical cosmetics and dynamic hair care products.  No one was telling me my eyelashes needed to be longer, my hair shinier, and that I needed to lose weight---good thing, because according to these photos I was pretty thin.




I bought myself a scanner and light table last month and have been spending a little time going through old slides and seeing which ones might be fun to put on Facebook for family and friends and trying to think about the work in starting an archive project where I might need to scan and organize  thousands of photo digitally.  I came across these two slides and actually was amazed...really amazed at how thin I was.  I do remember that I loved to eat like a horse.  Ah, the wonders of youthful metabolism.  This photo above was taken at U.N. Days in Palau, Micronesia.  I vaguely remember one of the activities during the two day celebration involved a rooster fight, because I came across the photos!



This next photo was taken at a meeting in Tonga.  (I did the math and my daughter was conceived at this meeting.)  No, none of the above is hubby.

17 comments:

  1. Nice project! I would love to get all my tons of photos/negatives on the computer too. Some day...

    I like seeing the young Tabor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! You early years were filled with adventure. Living outside the norms of society. So cool!! And you were very thin. LOL! Pretty too!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. you had such, I am sure, an amazing life....I did nothing like that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos! Would love to see more. My brother was stationed in the Phillipines in the 60's and he brought home pictures of a cock fight. UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tabor! I'd love to hear more of your UN days. Have you blogged about it before? And yeah, you were pretty. :)

    Like you, I don't like wearing make-up. But now that I'm in Japan, I have to put on some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like fascinating times. And I was that skinny too back in the day. These days.. not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so infuriating to see oneself on old photos. For most of my youth I was matchstick thin. I stayed thin right into middle age and then I suddenly put on weight. Why, how come, how did I do that.

    You've reminded me to get out the old photos and have another look at me in my misspent life. Some of it was okay, but a lot of it I wouldn't like to repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to have lived in such exotic places!! You look great in that photo. I used to be thin like that too, and I also ate like a horse!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes thin. Yes, too, how wonderful that you could be there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting post, I always enjoy your writing.
    There are so many places right here that I want to explore, not being a world traveler doesn't bother me. Plus I have you to bring far away places to life for me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have - and are - leading an exciting life. Sorry - I am still the same size as when I first married. Know that is not the norm. Enjoy the warm water.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I only have one photo left of the time when I was a young woman. I was very thin, also, but now I am 'matronly.'

    You were, and I am sure are, very pretty, Tabor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bought a scanner when I retired, and so far it has only been out of its box once.

    I had thought it would be a winter project - then I discovered feltmaking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! You look so beautiful! Sounds you had an amazing and adventure life in a tropical island.

    I also bought a scanner and have been scanning old slides... what a surprise... according my old pictures I was pretty thin too. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh for those good old days of skinny-ness. Since the father wasn't one of the men in the picture,I do have to ask if your husband was at the conference? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, laughing my head off, he was at the conference!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How amazing to be so young and living such an adventurous life. I was much too selfish to be doing anything except party. I sure am glad I outgrew that.

    You were one hot mama though.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.