Thursday, February 25, 2010

Bummed

Returned from my cool spring days visiting in Florida. Weather was in the high 40's to high 50's and only hit the 60's on one day. Thus the only beach pictures I have were taken through the window of a bar as we watched the setting sun on Shrove Tuesday at the touristy Ft. Myers Beach area. We are not the celebratory type, so we sneaked away to an odd little room off the bar and sat at a wobbly little table to quietly watch the sunset and left the old and young folks with the feathered hats and beads to the other end of the room.  The strong wind across the beach created little feathers of rainbow dust, which was fun to watch.  A few hardy souls in coats and hats walked the shore.  These photos are for Colleen who loves the beach as much as I and who would have put on her jacket and posed for me!








As to the title of this post, why am I bummed?  Well, it is not the weather because the odd cold spring in Florida is still better than winter here.  It is not the snow and downed trees that awaited my return because they had been somewhat cleared and we were actually able to drive right up to the house on our return.  It is not the bill that will come from the young men who removed (partially) the trees.  (It is not those politicos whose statements followed us on the radio where they were using the snowstorms to denigrate Al Gore and climate change...although, I do find it depressing that such ignorance about science exists in Congressmen and that whatever school system they went through did not educate them on the differences between weather and climate and how climate change is going to produce dramatic weather changes.  If it was all in jest, then I can hardly wait to see their second act when entire cities and villages drift into the sea.)



The actual reason I am so bummed is because my Canon Digital SLR, purchased in early 2007, died yesterday.  I have no idea what happened but it will not turn on.  Changed batteries, cleaned terminals, etc. and no luck.  I called a repair place about 70 miles up the road and they said it would cost a minimum of $255 AND would take 4-6 weeks as they send it away!  I don't know if I am more depressed about the cost or the loss of a camera for so long especally as spring gets here.  (I bit the bullet and sent the camera directly to Canon at the minimum cost of $215.)


I have a bunch of travel photos to work on, so that will keep me busy while I think or perhaps EXERCISE---now that would be novel!


My point and shoot which was my back up camera no longer focuses when the zoom is on as the focus mechanism is broken when I bumped the extended lens two weeks ago, so that is limited help.  When it rains it pours...but at least the rain is melting the snow.

17 comments:

  1. Sorry about your camera Tabor. Linda and I just brought a canon for Christmas. I certainly hope it lasts for a while.

    The photos of the beaches in Florida remind me of the beach in England, everyone dressed in their fall coats to take in the sea air.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home....I was almost envious of you. I visualized 80 degree weather and you sitting in the sun and walking the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry about your camera, and I hope they can fix it with a minimum of outlay beyond what you've already spent.

    We had snow again this morning, but it is nearly all melted already - which I love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooohhhh, I know how you feel! I just got mine last summer and have dropped it twice...had to buy new lens as a result, and you get so upset....
    Winter is really being winter this year...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely looking cold beach dear you. So sorry about your camera. I dropped mine, and tho it still takes excellent pictures, there's a dent and a gap that should be repaired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh nooooo, Tabor! I know to those who love their cameras, having one not at hand is like being sans a limb for the duration. I hope it comes back in fine shape, ready for many years of service.

    These are lovely shots, but the way. I love the beach, also, I particularly love harbors. Isn't it funny when you are at the beach, or near the sea, how easy it is to understand the lure of sailing? I don't mean, a sailboat, I mean the sailors of old, who could barely stand to be on land.

    Seafaring blood, and all that. I must have a drop or two of it in my veins, but only a drop or so. I always manage to tear myself away....but not without regret.

    Just sharing that because your post sent me on a flight of fancy, and I hope you have many of them while your trust camera is off being made trustier.

    Don't forget to daydream a lot :-) It makes the time fly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shimp, you are too kind. The sea does have an allure for many, but also it is somewhat intimidating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ack.. that's not good. I thought I'd damaged mine this morning when I had a major wipeout on the ice while walking. I heard the lens clunk and it was covered in slush which quickly froze over. I had to wait until I got home a half hour later to let it dry out. So far so good but I still worry about my baby. I hope yours comes back in perfect form.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes. I can add that "c" to my list of things that will bring me to my knees.

    Children
    Cars
    Computers
    and
    cameras

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh thats a hard one to live with, but I hope it turns out OK and you get your money's worth. I think you could take fine photos with a pinhole camera!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My Canon Digital camera was still under warranty when it wouldn't work. The camera always has to go back to Canon for repairs and it takes a while.

    I am still upset about all the wonderful photo ops I missed because of that d___ camera failure. I hope that you get yours back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just found you.
    VERY sorry about your camera! I adore my DSLR, and would hate to be without it!
    DELIGHTED with your commentary on Congresspeople though, I must say. A women after my own heart.
    Good to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tabor,I know how you feel. That happened to me. I think they charged me $265.00. It took forever to come back.

    I hope you can live without it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well darn it... I will miss your photos a lot.

    But your word pictures are almost as good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like these pictures. I'm sure I'll like future one, taken with whatevever camera you chose to use.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm also sorry about you camera Tabor. I've just read this post and I think I've missed a lot.

    Isn't it funny that even on our trips, we remember our blog pals? :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I feel for you! Poor girl. Yes, being without the camera would be rather like losing a limb. Ouch! I hope the cost is not extortionate, but the minimum is no small potatoes.
    The sea is in my blood too...not sailing on it, but living near it. I miss that, but am also content here in the beautiful country, so I'm not complaining. I wouldn't sneeze at a sniff of salt sea air though :)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.