Friday, February 26, 2010

Life Story # 30 --- Surviving With the "Others"

Just before I start my North Carolina, Georgia, and Florida travel reminiscing posts, I am feeling the need to post a little bit about my life with the 'Others' while living on an island group in the South Pacific that the "Survivors'" cast actually visited one season.   I have been scanning slides, of course.  I am not in the photo below, but I took the picture.



I have remained in touch with two of the people in this photo but the lady in the hot pink dress has since passed on.  She was a red-hot momma and full of interesting stories, and the only one that I knew there that swam in the ocean nude, which I pretended did not shock me at all at the time.  She had two teenage or twenty-something boys from whom she was estranged as they led drug-delaying lives in Southern California.  Her husband was sharp as a tack and was a former pirate and smuggler of rare animals into the U.S. before actually taking an honest job on this island running the tuna cannery.  He reminded me of John Wayne or Hemingway with his larger than life personality and body size.   I was a twenty-something farm girl and it didn't take much to keep me fascinated during those years.   The baby in this photo is my daughter. 


This apartment building, as you will remember if you read prior posts on my blog, is where I lived.  They were called the 'Pink Apartments ' by the expats and they only had running water and electricity every other or every third or every fourth day.  It all depended on whether the drunk who ran the generator remember to add fuel or whether the other local islander remembered to turn on the water that day, as water was rationed.  The fact that we all remained friends was a miracle, but it does explain the need to use alcohol and sex to soften the tension.  The stenciled numbers above the door makes it look like some military base or certainly the location of the 'Others.'  (Maybe that little boy in the foreground is a current producer of "Survivor" or "Lost" and this is where his vision for one of the television series first took form.)  

Actually living there was more like "Desperate Housewives" than "Survivor."  The affairs and flirting and babies...I would spill all, but some of it is really X-rated, such as the American nymphomaniac nurse that eventually got kicked off the island.  I guess that I actually got sophisticated fairly rapidly having friends all over the spectrum including the missionaries who were there and didn't really get along with each other and the priest who was an alcoholic but a gentle old soul.

I have probably forgotten the best stories.  Should have kept a diary.

14 comments:

  1. I enlarged the picture, and the first thing I noticed was the red, black and white "grown-up" shoes the little girl behind the bench is wearing. :)

    Sounds like you have some stories to tell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps if you write down tid-bits more memories will come to you. I would love to hear more stories about that interesting time in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote for you spilling ALL!! Sounds delicious to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm willing to keep reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anita, I also noticed the red socks and shoes the little girl is (was) wearing! Then I noticed the pink booties with the white sandals the lady is wearing.

    Tabor - what a lovely capture in time. I think back on my life and wish I had taken more photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's some of these times and experiences that make us what we are today, right?!

    Left you something on my post today, drop by and pick it up when you have time.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, fascinating. Reminds me of my hollywood years or the years we rented out rooms to stay afloat. My friend Bobbie says we were a commune.

    How did you, the farm girl, end up with this group on an island in the Pacific? Please give us a blurb or two. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, what a shock for a farm girl, I'm sure, because I was one myself. Sounds like you enough characters for a novel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a fabulous memory to have... what an interesting place to live! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Tabor, you have led a very interesting life. I want to go back and read up on you and maybe blackmail you one day? Tell me where to start. I am getting the drink in already.

    ...needing to use alcohol and sex to soften the tension....? free sex, is that? all-round partner swapping?

    You really need to point me in the right direction and soon....

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have piqued my interest. I want to hear all the juicy tales.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You make me smile with your stories.
    There are many in One Woman's past lives. I cannot dare share any of them. Reason - children, grandchilren, well known locals and beyond. Cannot risk the outcome. The answer - maybe start a journal with another name.
    I think not because I really do not want to dig these memories up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds a little like Floyd in our early days!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fascinating stuff, Tabor. You realize, of course, that you're keeping me from doing the things I should be doing? I'd better stop reading for now (I've come back several times between activities) and get to work!
    You led a very interesting and colorful life! Pirates, no less ;)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.