Friday, March 05, 2010

Gardens and Nightlife


Even though the wind was bitterly cold in both Charleston and Savannah, we did peek into some of the traditional courtyard gardens that were next to the historic homes and mansions and found that camellias were in abundant bloom. Spring was certainly on its way here.  These photos of tuck-away gardens reminded me of  Annie in Austen  and Kerri in New York among many of the other bloggers that love flowers and post blossoms throughout the year to chase the winter blues.




Yes, this garden gate has a real estate lockbox on the latch.  There were a number of homes for sale throughout the city of Savannah.  I just love the decorative concrete posts and arched gate and arched tree and had to capture the photo and maybe I will photoshop the lockbox out next time.





I was getting hungry so I pulled hubby away from his new found friend discussing the acid inducing Dow and headed to the newly refurbished town center.  It is very modern and still under construction and a harsh contrast to the romance of the city.  At least the parking is now underground.


The restaurants were not filled with customers, either due to the recession or the time of year or both.  The food was always good if a little too rich in calories.  Late one evening after too much food and, perhaps, too much wine I decided to try my lampshade hat dance around the restaurant to liven the place up much to my husband's dismay!  He can be very patient.  (Actually, as we all know this is really Littleredhare trying out an arty pose.)



12 comments:

  1. LOL....if that was you in the red dress, I'd say "hubba-hubba!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the father in A CHRISTMAS STORY would trade his leg lamp for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!!! Can that red dress be any tighter? LOL!! Love the lamp shade too!
    Beautiful pictures...love the flowers!
    Come on spring!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was glad to read that that was not you in the dress. I would have shot myself to discover that someone could still dance with a lampshade on her head in a form fitting red dress.

    The dress looks like it could have been painted on. There is nothing underneath and that's for sure. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, that lampshade clad lady hasn't encountered too much food, that's for certain! Hehe, good heavens, that little statue must catch many an eye.

    This is going to seem like a complete non-seuqitor, but your post put me in mind of this: Have you ever read a book where you fall in love with title and cover art so deeply, but the book itself is rather neither here nor there? Such is the case with Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil...such a title, that fabulous cover art. Whenever Savannah is mentioned, that's what I think about...and how that is the most fitting thing of all.

    Those courtyard doors, promising all sorts of mystery and intrigue behind them, beauty, hospitality...the doors tell a story all by themselves...kind of like that book. You can make up wonderful stories in your head, just looking at that book....just looking at that door. Just looking at that lampshade clad lady, for that matter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only in my dreams was I ever that slim what a great lamp..and lovely pictures the flowers make me crave spring...

    Dorothy from grammology
    grammology.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shimp...I admit that I have not read the book, but have enjoyed the movie twice. It was a little disjointed and somewhat Hollywood but exotically intriguing. I guess I will now have to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness, see what I am missing just staying home and running around to my yard sales.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the red lady in lampshade. Did someone turn her on?

    I also like to ride my bike through those South Carolina neighborhoods. It's like a flower show in a natural settings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Charleston is one of my favorites, Savannah has always been just OH! so Southern that I don't feel like I fit in quite right. But there are many things the same about the cities, both wonderful examples of architecture, gardens, gated places, hidden beauty. And what a beauty, that lamp! WOW! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope to see these southern cities one day. They do seem very romantic.
    I wish there were camelias in my garden! Thanks for the link :)
    It was too bad to have to pull your hubby away from the interesting conversation with his newfound friend :)
    In a city like Savannah one might certainly don a skinny red dress and do a lampshade hat dance after a night on the town! ;)
    P.S. I found snowdrops blooming yesterday!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.