Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Savannah

Savannah has managed to hang on to its wonderful charm in spite of the pressures to 'develop or die' that all historic cities face.  I love this city every time I visit and I see something new each time.  It is the size that a tourist can get their mind around.  It is filled with squares of green with benches on which to rest and historic statues to learn about the drama that Savannah played in the history of our country.  I looked throughout Charleston for Mark and Butler and Bagman, but saw them not in any windy corner.  You can imagine my surprise when I came across Butler and Bagman off in Savannah!  Mark must have kicked them out for the weekend so that he could think.



I was just getting ready to take a photo of Bagman leaning against this pole (click for all the gooey detail) covered in chewing gum outside the famous Savannah market place, and just as I lifted the camera, Bagman stuck a large wad of bubble gum next to the hundreds of others and dashed off after a twenty-something whose skirt had flown above her head in the strong winds. When he is on a mission it is impossible to keep up!  Just to let you know he was wearing tight black jeans and black cowboy boots, of all things.





Shortly after that we headed to the water and were sitting on a lovely bench swing beneath a shelter on the Savannah waterfront.  Butler had just completed putting up this wire barrier in the ceiling above to keep out the hundreds of pigeons and then gave us a stern look as he pointed at the sign behind the screen which he must have installed earlier.  You may need to click on the photo.  Scheduled swinging?  What happened to the leisurely South?  They should never let Butler run amok in the land of romance.  I neglected to take a picture, but beneath his winter London fog coat he appeared to be in a tuxedo?  Historically Savannah was the land of cotton and this area had been lined with warehouses for shipping out the bales.  There was very little time then for swinging, I am sure.


We ignored Butler's stern frown and headed back into town looking for some hot tea and nutrition past the houses that sometimes look like cake frosting.  Savannah, definitely one of my favorite cities, affords too many opportunities for photos.  Lots of fun architecture and too much wonderful history to put in this blog post.  The last photo is Savannah's famous Rainbow Row which has houses painted the colors of the Caribbean.






Before we leave Savannah there will be time for a little nightlife in my next post.

13 comments:

  1. Oh how gorgeous!! And Rainbow Row is amazing! I have never been to Savannah so thanks for the pics!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. All my knowledge of Savannah comes from John Berendt's "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil".
    To think that you can actually see all the historical wonders he describes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I have to confess that I got all hung up on Bagman and Butler's Chronicles. Shame on you for offering us that link. Think of my wandering link to link by the hour. Forget the historical buildings, forget the charming trees, instead I became addicted to one more blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the point, Maggie. We are all in this together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. RYN: He does volunteer work for the Cancer Society....they are not hiring but they are a good networking spot. He volunteers at the Automotive Museum....a good spot for the car guy to work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL You aren't going to show us a photo of Markle are you? Even after all the trekking thru Savannah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been there twice and loved it each time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the tour. Would be a nice place for me to visit.
    Also I have another blog to visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a little frightening to hear of Bagman running around loose. I'm glad you survived. And to hear of so many of your readers discovering Mark's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know there was a Rainbow Row in Savannah... I know there is one in Charleston which looks just like your photo...

    I love both Charleston and Savannah--but I guess I'd choose Charleston over the two if I had to. BUT--I love all of the parks in Savannah... So--guess it is a toss-up.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow great post and great advice. I tend to only read the blogs that I find interesting .
    Keep posting stuff like this i really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi I saw your blog. You have done a good job, I really liked your blog and very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been there twice and loved it each time!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.