Friday, April 23, 2010

Practical Beauty

I spend my time in spring with my face or my camera lens pressed against some ornamental flower trying to capture that moment in time where color and shape are perfection and to file away a memory for a cold gray day.

I recently realized that I fail to see some of the wild and practical beauty all around me that is missed because the hybrid stunners are crying for attention.  Therefore, I am pleased to present those playing supporting roles in this spring performance.


I think this is a Viburnum prunifolium above, but I am open to formal identification. This wild plant has balls of beauty that cover the bushes standing at attention up to 12 feet high along the shoreline at my dock during the month of April.




Above is the familiar hybridized strawberry flower promising jam and syrup and topping in the months to come.  It is small and covering the grounds at the back of the garden, but a no less lovely  bloomer than all the others.





Above is a newer ornamental version of the strawberry.  We are waiting to see if the flavor and/or size of the strawberry has been compromised in order to make the flowers stand out, as this is a new addition to the garden this year.





This beauty is, of course, from our new blueberry plant(s) which have been tucked back by the wood pile just inside the deer fence.  YUM.




Above are the flowers of a wild persimmon tree that grows against our dock just at the edge of the inter-tidal land.  It is only 8 feet tall and maybe too young for any fruit as we have not seen any set as long as we have lived here.  I have seen raccoons and squirrels performing acrobatic feats to get at the persimmons in our higher trees at the edge of the forest.



These are buds from my kaffir lime tree which has been moved outside now that the weather is more gentle.  The tree is still small but I have gotten about 6-10 fruit in the past.


And finally among our cast of supporting performers is Barberry (Berberis) growing at the side of my house doing its duty as a landscape plant.  But in the spring its lovely yellow bells ring out in contrast to the wine foliage above.  (Click on photos for better views.)

20 comments:

  1. how come I'm not in your followers list? I started following you a long time ago. Anyway, I am a nice round number.

    Love your photos; certainly no bit players or supporting cast in that line-up. Some of them are quite new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely supporting cast you have shared! Great photos!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally someone gives them their just due! Lovely shots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh....so simply life affirming, delightful, magical. Over the years I have begun to take flowers for granted....shame on me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great feeling to be surrounded with practical beauty! Nice captures Tabor :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can just taste that lime! Lovely photos and a great supporting cast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love these - especially the barberry! very nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gee, these are such beautiful photos that your subjects look not so much like supporting actors, but rather stars in their own right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have sworn that I was one of your followers but after reading Friko's comment I decided to check and sure enough I wasn't there. Now I am as 41. Wouldn't you know I would be the ODD number.

    Great photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful photos and those lesser lights are always deserving of our attention.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, we are living parallel lives. Got to go wipe the pollen off my nose.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't think of anything nicer than having lovely flowers that turn into edible fruit. Beautiful photos, Tabor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Flowers are good subjects for photography! Well, anything that is nature, that's always a good one.

    Lovely shots of flowers you got there, Macro makes it more beautiful!

    It's relaxing to know you are surrounded with many flowers and you know them like the back of your hand!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for a tour of part of your lovely garden. As usual - your photos never disappoint. So many times they look like paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  15. More beauty over here. NICE!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your photos are so colorful, vibrant and beautiful...like you and your flowers! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. it is like walking into a nature garden, thank you for the peace and beauty your post brings forth.
    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous4:09 PM

    These pics are so interesting! I have never before seen these flowers prior to their becoming fruits. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. http://itistimetothinkformyself.blogspot.com/2010/04/from-friends-to-friends-awards.html

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm awed by the beauty of your supporting cast. Wonderful photos, Tabor.
    My friend, Marie gave me one of those pink strawberry plants. The color is divine, but your little white one is gorgeous too.
    That Viburnum is so intricately beautiful, and the barberry...how pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.