Sunday, July 18, 2010

Battle Strategy Follow-up---War With the Cardinal


I got the most comments ever on my Battle with the Cardinal post and thus feel obligated to write a follow-up.

Since the rubber snake worked to dissuade the cardinal on the bedroom window last year, I move it to the dining room bay window ledge. Then I g0t the plastic life-size owl that had broken away from its pole down on the dock and put him on the deck next to the lower part of the deck window, Mr. Cardinal's second favorite spot. ( I just have to remember to cover the bottom hole in the hollow plastic owl with duct tape to avoid the wasps using it as a nesting cave!

I searched the internet for photos of owl eyes and printed out two in extra large size that look intimidating, at least to me. One photo I tape to the inside of the dining room window and the other I tape to the inside of the kitchen window. Several days passed and still no cardinal has re-appeared.  I am not totally convinced I have won the war...just this phase which will last who knows how long?


I should explain that prior to this battle strategy implementation my husband and I took advantage of a cool day or two and washed the windows!  Dear me, we have put the fate of all in the hands of the Cardinal as the windows are now sparkling clean and can reflect his image perfectly.



Then we went away on a short trip and I returned to find Mr. Crazy Cardinal back pecking at the windows about the kitchen sink.  Clearly the glaring owl eyes do not work there.  Next stop is to find some kind of spinning device or flag to see if that keeps him wary.

12 comments:

  1. He must be a Catholic, they are a persistent lot.
    Try a stuffed raptor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one narcissistic cardinal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm. I've always found a life-sized cardboard Richard Dawkins keeps cardinals away very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friko's comment is hilarious. Yep, you've got a problem on your hands (or in your windows rather). Those owl eyes look like they should be on the front of a greeting card and the caption would be "Whoooooooo knows what to do about cardinals?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! He is so determined! And indeed,aren't all cardinals Catholic?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob, I though Richard Dawkins avoided Cardinals?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the info, Tabor... We have lots of Cardinals --but so far, they haven't pecked on any of our windows... But--if they do, I'll take your advice.... Sounds like you are winning that battle!!!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know about Cardinals, but I kept a woodpecker away with hanging shiny things around the area he was invading. Those twisty shiny streamers work, but they don't last long. Aluminum pie tins and DC discs work, too.

    I think your Cardinal has a loose quill in his head. ~:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your windows are just too clean. This is why I don't have this problem. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear! Yep...you shouldn't have cleaned the windows!! Now he has the perfect view! Sorry the owl eyes didn't work!
    Good luck on round three!!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think he may need medication....he is clearly crazy!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.