Thursday, August 19, 2010

I Appear to be the Butt of a Joke.

(I got this in an email and my research on the Internet says it was "submitted by Debbie, Middletown."  Needless to say I do not know Debbie.)


God Finds Out About Lawn Care
"Winterize your lawn," the big sign outside the garden store commanded. I've fed it, watered it, mowed it, raked it and watched a lot of it die anyway. Now I'm supposed to winterize it? I hope it's too late. Grass lawns have to be the stupidest thing we've come up with outside of thong swimsuits! We constantly battle dandelions, Queen Anne's lace, thistle, violets, chicory and clover that thrive naturally, so we can grow grass that must be nursed through an annual four step chemical dependency.

Imagine the conversation The Creator might have with St. Francis about this:

"Frank you know all about gardens and nature. What in the world is going on down there? What happened to the dandelions, violets, thistle and stuff I started eons ago? I had a perfect, no maintenance garden plan. Those plants grow in any type of soil, withstand drought and multiply with abandon. The nectar from the long-lasting blossoms attracted butterflies, honey bees and flocks of songbirds. I expected to see a vast garden of colors by now. But all I see are these green rectangles."

"It's the tribes that settled there, Lord. The Suburbanites. They started calling your flowers 'weeds' and went to great extent to kill them and replace them with grass."

"Grass? But it's so boring. It's not colorful. It doesn't attract butterflies, birds and bees, only grubs and sod worms. It's temperamental with temperatures. Do these suburbanites really want all that grass growing there?"

"Apparently so, Lord. They go to great pains to grow it and keep it green. They begin each spring by fertilizing grass and poisoning any other plant that crops up in the lawn."

"The spring rains and cool weather probably make grass grow really fast. That must make the Suburbanites happy."

"Apparently not, Lord. As soon as it grows a little, they cut it _ sometimes twice a week."

"They cut it? Do they then bale it like hay?"

"Not exactly, Lord. Most of them rake it up and put it in bags."

"They bag it? Why? Is it a cash crop? Do they sell it?"

"No, sir. Just the opposite. They pay to throw it away."

"Now let me get this straight. They fertilize grass so it will grow. And when it does grow, they cut it off and pay to throw it away?"

"Yes, sir."

"These Suburbanites must be relieved in the summer when we cut back on the rain and turn up the heat. That surely slows the growth and saves them a lot of work."

"You aren't going believe this Lord. When the grass stops growing so fast, they drag out hoses and pay more money to water it so they can continue to mow it and pay to get rid of it."

"What nonsense! At least they kept some of the trees. That was a sheer stroke of genius, if I do say so myself. The trees grow leaves in the spring to provide beauty and shade in the summer. In the autumn they fall to the ground and form a natural blanket to keep moisture in the soil and protect the trees and bushes. Plus, as they rot, the leaves form compost to enhance the soil. It's a natural circle of life."

"You better sit down, Lord. The Suburbanites have drawn a new circle. As soon as the leaves fall, they rake them into great piles and have them hauled away."

"No! What do they do to protect the shrub and tree roots in the winter and keep the soil moist and loose?"

"After throwing away your leaves, they go out and buy something they call mulch. They haul it home and spread it around in place of the leaves."

"And where do they get this mulch?"

"They cut down trees and grind them up."

"Enough! I don't want to think about this anymore. Saint Catherine, you're in charge of the arts. What movie have you scheduled for us tonight?"

"Dumb and Dumber, Lord. It's a real stupid movie about..."

"Never mind I think I just heard the whole story."

19 comments:

  1. Ha, ha, the joke is on us. We have taken to nuturing the violets in our lawn, fortunately the neighbors are like minded, busily digging out lawn and putting in low water perennials. And no chemicals to stick to the kiddie or kitty feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No lawns here...or fewer. Many yards in this upscale neighborhood are brown waiting for the ground cover that will take over.

    Thank you for waiting with us. After 11, I will go to class and leave G waiting by himself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not quite where the joke is. Anybody who wrote that dialogue has an awful lot of commonsense.

    they can only think quite highly of you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was all about US... I guess we are the suburbanites. My hubby would gladly get rid of the grass and put in rocks or mulch or something, just so he doesn't have to mow...

    I am the one who loves a nice, green yard.... We do fertilize and mow. BUT--we at least put the clippings (and the leaves in fall) on our big compost pile.. SO--at least that is a good thing...

    I'm sure that God truly is scratching his head at many wasteful things we humans do now....

    Cute post, Tabor.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Tabor for reminding me of things I have done in the past.
    Not anymore. I am grooming around the edge of the woods to see "what is near my cottage". Cut grass every 2 or 3 weeks. Have been cutting on the road and beside driveway to home but I will not do that next Spring. I want a more natural look. Of course I have no neighbor close by - so I can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is more than a kernel of truth in that one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:51 PM

    LOL i really liked that!! Gave me a really good giggle this morning, Thank you :)
    So true, so funny
    xxm

    ReplyDelete
  8. And not only that but when we get older and all this tires us out, instead of quitting, we buy riding lawnmowers that use lots of gas which we have to buy from other countries, after attacking them to make sure they will still sell to us. Aarrgh! Your blog is so true and, of course, that's what I'll be doing on Saturday. After using more gas to drive my car to Lowes to buy more plastic bags...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh so true...we humans are a silly lot!!! Tabor I have spent a most enjoyable half hour reading through your blog...it was great and I look forward to coming back more frequently.
    Blessings and smiles and happy belated fortith to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laughing, great green tale! The suburbanites that move here always seem to try to turn here into where they came from...
    oh I bet there are some unhappy suburbanites here right now. It's 11:30 PM & the helicopters are spraying a couple of fields...(They spray at night so they don't harm the honey bees)...thump...thump...thump...

    ReplyDelete
  11. We're thinking of converting to coloured stones - that's how much I agree with you. Thanks for the hoot, though. Sublime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So how did this passion for lawns get started anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for waiting with us....the wait paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha! What a fun read! Great conversation! And so true! I lived in a rural area so I am pleased to say that I have clover and Queen Anne's Lace and the like. Sagebrush too and buffalo grass which is a wild grass. We only mow the edges and keep the clippings for compost!! Our gardens are rock gardens with cactus growing! No chemicals here!
    We also have lots of rabbits and gophers so they would have a field day with flowers and kentucky blue!! LOL!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh this is absolutely hilarious. I remember well trying to keep our lawn greener than the neighbors, mowing, weeding, mulching and fertilizing. Not to mention the water wasted.

    Now I have a rock lawn, desert plants that need very little water and cacti. Works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. so far, hope that so good...

    have a fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wouldn't work in the country anyway - daisies, moss, dandelions, dog lichen........ very little grass.

    ReplyDelete
  18. too funny!
    perspective is everything

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.