Friday, October 08, 2010

Into the Mountains



Above is the small tourist town of Canmore where we stayed. We did not stay in Banff, and although Banff is a stunning mountain tourist town, I am glad we rested our worn hiking boots in this smaller and gentler place just outside the Banff National Park.  It was busy at this time of year and stays busy until early November when tourism drops off just before beginning again in the busy crazy ski season.  Even though mornings were cold in this valley, the weather got very pleasant within hours once the sun burned through the clouds.  Some days were foggy and rainy (snowy), but most of our days were sunny.


The first afternoon we took an exploratory hike around the town park. The trail follows the river and seems to go for several miles up into the valley. Canadians are really scary healthy!  They jog in outfits that are out of some movie and with lean lanky dogs beside them. Picture a six foot Barbie in a skin tight black and red ski outfit springing gazelle-like up a narrow hiking path with two black Dobermans running at each side and then look away so you can catch your breath.  Look at the lovely view above that one gets when resting on the bench in this park.  The bench is empty because I do not think Canadians rest.


We saw a large number of tourists from Asia throughout the area. Above is a man from Japan practicing his fly fishing. We did see a few trout in the river although he had no success during the time we watched.


On our way down the river trail and after passing a number of very fancy vacation homes just up the hill behind us we saw this evidence of bear. We never saw a bear on any of our hikes, but the rangers did post signs on various trails about grizzly activity and asking hikers to hike in groups of four only.  Common sense and keeping food to yourself and making noise is usually a safe bet.  (If Barbie is not afraid, then neither am I.)

16 comments:

  1. What a wow post. I could sit with a book on that bench for hours. Lovely. Not Barbie here.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this post and seeing those photos brought back such memories of my trip to the Northwest!

    I was in Banff with a tour group about 15 years ago. I stayed at Chateau Lake Louise which was situated at the doorstep of Lake Louise. I can still see myself standing in the lobby, looking out the window and seeing that fabulous view of the lake and the mountains!!

    Now I have to go find ALL the photos and literature I have from that trip!

    Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't have been able to do as much hiking as you did, never mind Barbie. And sprinting? I seem to remember something like it from years ago . . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Maggie - I could have sat on that bench for hours.
    Barbie--not here also. Thank you for sharing. I travel at this time through you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:03 PM

    Great reading here, and I love the photos. I would have been sitting on that bench!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderfully majestic view. I can smell the fresh air now.

    I never would have guessed that the lack of bark on the tree was a result of bear. That's scary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tabor, I would probably prefer to stay where you stayed rather than the more touristy area. Of course I'd love to visit Banff--but you were in a gorgeous place...

    Darn--where's the picture of one of those gorgeous Canadian men???? I don't want to see the women--but would love to see the men... Guess you are keeping them all to yourself... ha ha

    Can't find the waterfall. Maybe it's on another blog... i'll check it...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh beautiful photos.. I'll have to head west one day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a spectacular place. Living in the mountains like that, you probably can't help but be athletic. I just love your vision of Barbie and dogs! I went on a run with my 2 dogs today, definitely not Dobermans, on a hilly trail that was definitely not the Canadian Rockies, and although I am definitely not Barbie, your description got me laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhhhh, that looks like a bench with my name on it! Your post was so descriptive I could imagine me being there with you Tabor!

    I love coming to your page and catching up on whatever thoughts are going through your mind at that time. You always take me away so thanks so much for that. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm trying to catch up after 2 solid days of working. YOur photos are magnificent!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "If Barbie is not afraid, then neither am I" - but Barbie had two dobermans with her! And probably just for that reason.

    I knew "bear" as soon as I saw that tree and I don't hike where there are normally any bear.

    What a refreshing adventure. I have always loved Canada. That is why I took French in high school instead of Spanish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos of beautiful scenery. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great pictures, I'd love to visit sometime. I've found the Canadians in BC to be somewhat different, the benches there are usually occupado! I love them, great people, beautiful country. Sometimes I think that clear mountain air makes everything look larger too, especially bears.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't have dobermans, nor do I own much lycra outside of my bike shorts, but I DO concur with the Canadians-in-shape observation. I think our rugged terrain gives us a natural excuse to head out and experience it firsthand.

    I love slicing through the countryside on my bike. I feel more alive because of it, and I'm tickled that so many of us Canucks seem to think the same way. It's the one time I enjoy being a conformist :)

    I definitely need to add Canmore to my must-visit list. Thanks for the wonderful view!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now those are mountains! The middle shot with the lake reminds me of Aspen.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.