Friday, October 22, 2010

Stretching Into Retirement

I have previously written about the unrewarding volunteer work I had been doing at the Public Library.  I started about 6 months ago and based on that recent volunteer luncheon (which I also wrote about), the scattered approach to their needs for me, and my sporadic personal schedule in the coming months, I called and told them I was going to put volunteering on hold for a while.  I may go back, but right now I am looking for something that "gives as much as it gets."  This may be unrealistic and selfish, but I am at the time in my life when I really need something more fulfilling and something where it is clear they need me and with at least a little social element.


So in the process of looking for a challenge, I recently signed up for the Master Gardener classes.  (In the U.S. this is a University based extension program involving an environmentally sustainable approach to working with commercial or hobby planting and landscaping.) 


What was I thinking?  Have you seen their class textbook (in the photo above)?  It was written by committee (mostly PhD professors) over several years of learning from prior classes, I am guessing.  The class meets two evenings a week for two months, has a quiz at the beginning of each class on the instruction from the prior class and covers an encyclopedia of stuff including history, policy, botany, pathology, geology, chemisty.  This will surely stretch my aging retired brain.  In the end it requires at least 40 hours of leadership-type of volunteering before certification.  Since I am new to this community, I am already intimidated by that requirement.  I also have to come up with two references...I guess that means my neighbors, because I do not know anyone else here.  


Oh well, I hope to get to know more people, have something to point to as an accomplishment, share what I learn with the next generation (esp. grandchildren) and certainly will learn more about gardening and landscaping.  Right now my brain is spinning with trying to understand the vocabulary:  positively charged ions, adsorption, desorption, lithosphere, anion, phloem, meristems, etc.  ( I am not showing off...just glad the final test is open book!)

23 comments:

  1. Oh, you make me smile. I know two other master gardeners, and you will do fine. Just what you needed. I'm so sorry that you and your library weren't a good fit, but I'm glad you didn't stay when it didn't work. Who knew when I volunteered at the thrift shop in memory of Jo, Terry, My mother, father, grandfather, grandmother, Janey, Marion and others, that I would fit there.

    Hugs.......and tell all chapter by chapter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great program. Keep us posted on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suspect that if anyone can do it, it's you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:45 PM

    I have only been reading your blog a short while, but I have no doubt that you to becoming a master gardener.

    My mom had the good experience of working in the town hospital thrift shop for nearly 15 years. It was just right for her. I have been thinking that I might volunteer at the library, but am waiting to see where we end up retiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tabor, I tried the library and the master gardeners. Tried hospital work and thrift shop. Tried church work and even called about meals on wheels.
    Check them all out. Guess I finally just gave up and will work in the woods - but then I am much further down the pathway of life then you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! Master Gardeners' class is quite a heavy undertaking. I wish you much luck with it and I hope you just have a good time.
    Sorry the library didn't work out but that luncheon kind of spoke volumes.
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you! Finding a fit volunteering is a job in itself I think. Looking forward to plying you with questions ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I applaud you, Tabor, because at my age, I don't want to put myself through anything so strenuous to the brain!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love taking classes. I find that my classmates are always as interesting as the subject being studied! You will have such fun getting to know them. Good move. And can't wait to hear about your new cast of characters...and some about gardening, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My sister went through that. She hasn't been able to identify anything I have asked her. Not a reflection on her or the course but rather how much life there is. The volunteering part ought to get you out around other people.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have great faith in you and look forward to hearing about your stretches. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful challenge. I've hunted for something on wild flowers/ferns etc in the UK but haven't been able to find anything. It needs to be online because we are so far out into the sticks. Happy studying.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Tabor, I am inspired by your courage at embracing what I consider a real challenge! :D I have thought about those classes...and rethought it. ROFL I can't wait for reports from you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a lot to take on! I hadn't heard of a master gardener until I did a story on Floyd's community garden and met two of them and asked them all about it.

    I have thought about volunteering at our area's women shelter working with kids but then I got too busy writing. Also, I was turned off by all the trainings I'd have to take.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Are you sure?

    Volunteering is good, stretching the brain is good, getting the bit between your teeth is good, but . . .

    No doubt we will learn how you get on, but don't, please, blind this reader with science. I'm just about able to read gardening catalogues.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have two "master gardeners" in our townhouse community. They are both very talented and the board has let them (one in particular) head up the landscape committee. She gets a lot done and the seasonal flowers are pretty.

    One of them is VERY bossy and you do not want to cross her. I do not think they teach bossy in master gardener class. It just comes naturally ;

    The flowers don't DARE not bloom profusely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Why can't I access the post that has come up on my blog roll?

    ReplyDelete
  18. You can teach us all what you learn...From your pictures of all your plants and flowers, it should be a breeze. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds great, Tabor!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow---good for you, Tabor.... I am not surprised that you are not volunteering at the library anymore... I wouldn't either --after what you went through. But now --it looks like you have jumped in head first...

    When you become a Master Gardener ----you can come down here and teach us!!!!!! ha

    I'm glad you have gotten to see the elk also.... AND--I also saw your pictures on the other blog from your Canadian trip... WOW!!!!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  21. When I retired I tried volunteer work in Atlanta working with the poor in Atlanta's slums. I was not suited for it, and though I kept trying for a couple of years it just depressed me. So I went to art school. I think you have done the right thing taking the gardening class. You might be interested in a book Jerry and I are reading called "Hybrid: The History and Science of Plant Breeding". It is well written and though technical in places is easily understandable by a layman.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Tabor,
    Thanks for stopping by and comment.

    These Flora's pictures I post were taken in summer and those leaves were fallen from my Tabebuia tree (named in Portuguese Ipê)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.