Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Thursday Thoughts (13)--Falling into Fall---a day early!

(I repeat that I do not do this 13 thing correctly or succinctly or even often, but I keep trying.)


  1. It took me two hours of hard labor but I loaded all the split wood that my husband had created the other day, and then, when my back was turned, the wood pile shrugged its shoulders and all my work was undone in seconds.
  2. My husband decided to encourage our grandson to help with the seeding (re-seeding) of the lawn this fall and gave him a small shoe box of seed to distribute by hand.   Almost a half hour later grandson returned with the box empty and the announcement that he was done...this week we discovered a rather intense square foot section of grass germinating just down the hill from the driveway.
  3. This has been the most productive year for acorns from all varieties of oak trees.  The air is filled with sounds like popguns going off in the sky as the nuts hit the leaves on their way to the ground.  It is a miracle that not one has hit me on the head.
  4. Yesterday I saw a squirrel sneak up on a deer by climbing quietly up the back side of the holly tree and then scrabbling noisily down the other side to the ground scaring the deer and causing him to flee into the deep woods.
  5. While burning deadfall I watched the gray fragile ash float into the blue sky as the nearby woodpecker threw down epithets at me, almost as if he knew what I was doing.
  6. Shortly later I saw three noisy crows falling and calling after a lovely hawk high in the sky.
  7. The delicate white feathery seeds of the salt bush have begun to release on the wind and fall in the air and collect on the spider webs on the shore making lovely decorations.
  8. My lovely decorated blue bird house which was for the bluebirds separated from the base and fell to the ground this fall and inside the peaked roof was a healthy nest of brightly colored wasps.
  9. My daughter gasped as I picked up my heavy 3-year-old granddaugther the other day to carry her upstairs.  I guess she was afraid at my old age, I might fall with this heavy treasure.
  10. Speaking of falling...I almost fell asleep while reading my textbook on the three forms in which phosphorus is taken up by plant roots...too many H's and subscript.
  11. The Merriam-Webster Dictionary gives eleven definitions of the word fall.
  12. Lots of rain falling as I write this text ... yes, I am cheating, but I am almost there.
  13. The only thing that has not fallen this fall is my weight!

16 comments:

  1. Adorable, each and every sentence, especially the one about the deer and the squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even separated into 13 little life notes this reads like an essay :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:36 PM

    I agree with lakeviewer. Very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the picking up your grand child one. Isn't it curious how little our children can trust us?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do it right! I just finished mine and you are mentioned as well as crows! Got to go eat before I post it. I think all that grass seed just washed away. It rained so hard it came in between the logs in my bedroom and I couldn't watch channel 13.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "a rather intense square foot section of grass germinating just down the hill from the driveway."

    I LOVE it!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. 13 is your magic number.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this post and your 13!! It didn't really rain much here but the winds were insane!!!! 60 to 70 MPH!! Anything not firmly attached to the ground heads south rather quickly. Yikes!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with lakeviewr... magic 13!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simply wonderful to see you on a roll. Did I say lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for showing me a beautiful fall. I missed it this year by going from end of summer to the winter of Alaska. Snow will again be falling here this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoyed your post. Guess I am like your daughter when you picked up your granddaughter. This last little one - I could no longer do this. Be careful!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the image.
    great tile.
    beautiful to fall into fall.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very enjoyable ramble.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved your post and am still laughing about number 13 because that is so true of me. No matter how little I eat I can only lose a pound and one weekend visit by a friend and the pound is back with two more. Arrgh!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did great with these. I love the well-seeded patch of grass. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.