Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Legs



It is said that one goal in life is to grow old gracefully...

On short stubby legs the goal in life was to learn to walk and not fall, to cover as much of the huge world's surface before nap-time and then the next day to learn to run.
On longer, coordinated, energetic legs the goal was to make the goal, to beat the boys, to win the races, to get there first.
On shapely legs the goal was to walk on red stilted shoes without twisting an ankle and with studied grace, and to ignore the cold drafts as the skirts were kept short and the legs were kept bare throughout the long winter.
On efficient nylon-covered legs and librarian style heels the goal was to meet the deadlines and hurry home to feed the short stubby legs without a stumble in the same day.
On varicose and freckled and not-yet-shaved legs the goal was to keep them hidden from critical eyes and be thankful you didn't need a walker or cane like your Aunt.
On arthritic legs the goal was to push through the pain and stiffness and to dance every single dance on through the long wedding evening.
Now the goal is to rise out of bed each morning and learn to walk once again and cover as much of the huge world's surface before nap-time and to be thankful you don't want to run.


Those were the days...!

13 comments:

  1. What a great piece. I could relate to all of them.

    I've been there, done that and now doing the napping part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, except I wore black three inch tall heels. :)

    Yes, to walk with grace and a minimum of hitches in my git-a-long. To put on my own socks. To be able to get out of my own bathtub.

    Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Millie - and you!! My legs are holding up pretty well (not appearance-wise, but function-wise). However, getting up out of the bathtub is a chore these days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post and went through each phase. Just wish I did not fracture an ankle (gardening without proper shoes) 7 years ago.
    No more trendy shoes. But thankful body parts are still original..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am at the stage where when I am out walking the dogs I keep saying "move them legs! move them legs!" If I don't move them I am afraid they will freeze up. One advantage to having dogs that need walking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't believe that your legs are letting you down, didn't you recently walk many miles on a particular day for a particular meeting?

    Bog roll = loo paper = toilet paper

    ReplyDelete
  7. I kept thinking about this entry on and off all day yesterday. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Friko, my legs are just fine. I can hike 8-10 miles with only complete exhaustion at the end of the day...if I sit too long I do have a 'catch' hip that scares me. I was just thinking past, present and future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well---my old legs did pretty well until this past summer when I had knee problems and then surgery... Since that time, my knee is fine---but I seem to be having those old arthritic aches and pains --which I never thought I'd have... Dang---why do I have to get OLD????????

    Merry Christmas.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Today my legs are aching from doing the stepper on the Wii-fit. But I did have nice legs once upon a year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhh, I remember 'back in the day' that my legs were muscular from running and now since I've turned the dreaded age of 51 my legs look cottage cheese melting; BLUCK...I often find myself wishing for those lovely legs...
    nice post~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ain't that the truth!
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. For a minute I was afraid that you are experiencing arthritis to a high degree, but I see by your comment that you're still ok: good!
    I skipped the high heels part of this, thank god. Never ever could see the use in them.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.