Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Thursday 13---Things I Learned in Class


As you may know, I have been involved for almost two months in the pursuit of a Master Gardener Certificate.  Some cherish Emmys, Oscars, blue ribbons or even those rare blogger awards.  I am, instead, stalking the Master Gardener award.  This award requires substantial sacrifice in money ($175), time (12/ 2.5 hour classes and two field trips) and brain power (reading a 656 page textbook followed by an actual test).  BUT I am less than two weeks away from reaching my goal!  I still have to put in 40 hours of volunteer and leadership work and find some advanced workshop to take before 12 months pass.  This challenge is not for the light-hearted nor those who still have nightmares about going to school.  Now for the 13 since some of you asked how the class was going...the interesting stuff starts at 7.


1  Do not mow your lawn lower than 3 inches unless you want weeds instead of lawn.
2  A family of 3 can reduce green house gases by 275 pounds per year by composting yard and kitchen waste.
3  If your yard doesn't have at least 6 hours of direct sunlight you will grow only shade plants successfully.  (We have just 6 hours and we are not allowed to cut down our 100 foot trees...so we are being optimistic.)
4  Continually and excessively roto-tilling or digging your soil will bring up the 300 to 600 dormant weed seeds that have been waiting for you to release them for decades.  Thirty-year-old farmed lands have 'seed banks' of 100 to 600 million weed seeds per acre.  Bless the farmer!
5  Weed is a valid term among the experts...dirt is not.  If it has a broad tolerance for soil types, sunlight or shadow, and tolerates frequent cutting and grows anywhere...it is a weed.  "Dirt is what you sweep under the rug."
6  You can improve your soil, BUT you cannot change your soil type unless you use raised beds.  I will always be growing in clay soils no matter how many dollars I throw at it.
7  On the odd chance that you never knew...insects mouthparts can be designed for sponging, siphoning, piercing-sucking, rasping-sucking and/or chewing-lapping.  (I know....ewww!)
8  Plant diseases are always a challenge.  Potato blight (Phytophthora infestans) caused the death of more than a million people by starvation between 1845 and 1860.  Later this same blight, so famous in Irish history, also brought about the demoralization of the German army when they read about the starvation of loved ones in the letters from home, which added to the collapse of the German army in WWI.
9  Disease of rye called Claviceps purpurea causes ergotism.  The diseased tissue on the rye contains high amounts of an acid that we know as LSD.  This diseased rye defeated Peter the Great's army invasion of Turkey before it even began as both his soldiers and their horses became blind after eating bread made from diseased rye, or in the case of the horses, the rye itself.  There is some theory that the Salem witch trials may have been more about the effects of ergotism (seeing visions on those acid trips) on the part of both the accuser and the accused although the link was never proven.
10   Hydrangeas in our area almost propagate themselves when the branches are buried beneath the ground.
11  An asparagus bed can last up to 75 years!
12  Out of  more than 100,000 species of insects in the U.S. less than 10% are considered pests.  I think at least 9,000 of those that are considered pests have parties in my yard on a regular basis.
13  Reading and following carefully the labels on herbicides and pesticides whether organic or not is still the best advice you can give anyone if they find they must use them.


Just skimming the surface on things I learned.  Now go forth and plant that shrub or mow that lawn, and yes,  I guess I am a bit of a smarty pants.





21 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:49 PM

    I enjoy lists like this. So just go ahead being a smarty pants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that. I want to learn all those things. Well, some I already knew, but not all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew a few of these things. We always leave our grass long. And we battle the clay soil!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice, smarty pants! thanks for passing on this fascinating info. some i knew but lots was new to me. would loooove to have another post with more of what you're learning! good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really I thought this was interesting starting with #1. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting. I
    m going to forward this list to my gardener friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well congratulations on your progress thus far. That is super and thanks for sharing some of your lessons learned.
    We have clay soils as well and gophers/moles! So we are going the way of raised beds! I have put up the white flag!! Ha!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to believe there was valid reason for the Salem witch trials.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Honest now: how much of that did you know already?

    Are you going to show us the certificate/diploma when you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to garden. How about that for a generalist comment. Out here this time of year, Bermuda grass lawns are cut almost to the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  11. An excellent and useful list. Number 3 is so true, we live in a heavily treed city in desert-like Eastern Washington, and because of the huge (abd wonderfully cooling) shade trees, I have ferns and moss, columbine, and tomatoes that refuse to ripen without raised beds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tabor, thank you. Some of it I knew but some was news to me.
    Think I need to go the route of raised beds.
    Continue your sharing :) Ove the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All great advice/knowledge. Carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I admire anyone who makes the effort to get the Master Gardener certification. I also appreciate your sharing...because I am just not ready to make the time and mental investment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. But Ms. Pants, I don't wanna mow my lawn any more!

    I love how the course throws in bits of history and other stories. I would gobble this up! And I love hydrangeas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mary, Mary Quite Contrary - how does your garden grow? With silver bells, and cockle shells and master gardners all in a row!Nice work1

    ReplyDelete
  17. Makes me feel better at not getting the front grass cut before the winter frosts and deluges. It might survive the winter better. Sounds as if you have been learning a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love knowing my asparagus bed will outlive me by decades! Smarty pants like you are appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You ARE a master gardener! You're up there with a friend of mine. She's at http://www.cvog.blogspot.com. Take a peek when you have time.
    Best wishes with your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yup, Poolie said "bling," and I said "bling" too. What's the world coming too.

    Sandy's picture is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ditto on #6. Glad I didn't miss this. Some things I knew and some I didn't.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.