Saturday, December 18, 2010

The National Tree

I could not resist posting this photo of the National Tree in front of the White House with the Washington Monument in the background.  The star on top of the tree is being backlit by the winter morning sun.  It was somewhat breathtaking in the cold morning air.  The workers were around on all sides busily taking down fences, collapsing cold metal chairs and removing about an acre of snap-together flooring that had been installed for the tree lighting ceremony just a few days before.  The state trees standing in a circle around the big tree, which were fenced off at the time I was there, seemed smaller then when I saw them years ago.  They were only 3 feet high!  Such is recession I am guessing or maybe it is because we are trying to be green?  I know it is not because I have grown taller!  The National Tree greenery is almost hidden and weighted down by the strings of decorations and lighting.  It is sort of an instant decoration kind of thing.

There is a sad postscript to this photo above.  I had just lost all the photos I took in December.  None of my photos are publishable or worth turning into artwork, but they are mine and hold all my December memories and I am sick about this.  This photo and about 500 others are gone, gone, gone.  I did not delete them.  Something very similar to this happened last September when I was working with about 1,000 photos from my Canada trip and tagging them in my software and 100 from the first file disappeared.  A file recovery did not work.

I use PhotoShop Elements 8 which allows me to index photos by adding subject tags, people tags and even GEO/place tags.  I spent several hours going through bird photos tagging them by species and when I was all done, I checked my email and when I came back the entire December folder and most of the Bird folder were missing their files! Nothing was in my recycle bin and I couldn't find them using Windows Explorer.  Therefore, they were not just disconnected from the photo catalog in PSE8...they were gone!  I have tried to find the solution on the web but mostly Adobe just tells people they must have done something wrong because the software does not delete files by itself...!

I have been reasonably good about backing up photos either on CDs or another hard drive I have...but I only do that once a month, so missed that opportunity by a few days as I was still reviewing and weeding files.  I will get over this.  It is not someone's wedding or birthday photos...just my crap...my precious crap!

13 comments:

  1. Man, I wish I even knew what you were talking about....I am so unlearned when it comes to photoshop etc...

    Hope they pop up one day....

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your lost pictures. It is a warning lesson for all of us.

    Happy Holidays, and thanks for this marvelous picture you shared today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about the lost photos - a good reminder how important it is to back up photos on cd or memory stick. I shall add it to the list of things to do. Loved the tree with the light striking it just right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ack.. that must be SO upsetting. Is it possible that they were somehow renamed, refiled or otherwise re-somethinged? Try doing a search on your whole computer by date, by .jpg, by anything other than the obvious. I suspect that they've got to be there somewhere. Don't reformat any memory cards until you're 100% certain they contain nothing.. check their remaining space. If it's not at full size, they might just be hiding there.

    I hope you can find them.

    That is a lovely pic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Twin City Joan5:57 PM

    I have PE 5 (used for 5 years)as well as PE 8 (never used as I haven't taken the time to figure out how to get my old pictures into the catalog). I too have had pictures disappear. They are taggged, in the catalog, and come up as having been there, but they aren't there now and I did not delete them. It is very frustrating. For me it is only a few and I have saved a copy on external media. I am hoping they are there. Looking for them is a winter project. I am still hoping to find them somewhere. How disappointing for you. They may not be great art, but they are a record of our lives. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you got this one posted before it disappeared. That is so frustrating and sad to lose so many pictures, even if it is precious crap. I hope Hilary's advice works and you find them hiding somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that's awful for you ...they are probably there somewhere ...I always back up on Fridays and photos ? I back them up as soon as I put them on the computer ...

    Much love to you .... the memories are still in your heart. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having lost virtually everything on my computer last year, I know how you feel and I am sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel your pain of loss! I too have lost precious photo files and it really sucks. I am so sorry that this has happened to you!!
    Loved the photo you did post!
    Hugs and Merry Christmas
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh. I sent a bunch of my pics from my cell phone to my e-mail account and promptly deleted each one afterwards. Yep. I open my e-mail to view them and they are all 0k in size. Nothing there! Crap!

    Been looking for two days on a way to recover. Nope. Nada.

    Sigh. Sorry to hear about your pics. I think it happens to all of us from time to time. Damn technology.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no, Tabor! I cringe when I hear that has happened to someone. I'm not diligent at all at backing up my photos. I need to pay attention to your sad loss, and move these pictures. I was so happy for you to read that you were able to recover most of them. I'm only knowledgeable enough about computers to get myself in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those two realities. I can't understand why the state trees were so small. I've seen them in years past.

    I DO understand I lost a couple of years of past photos when Joe inadvertently emptied our second hard drive to redo it because it was malfunctioning. He thought I had copies of copies! I lost many photos on my blog too and was slowly replacing them but can't anymore since the originals are gone and I still miss them.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.