Sunday, January 30, 2011

Blogging is Not for the Weak of Heart



I never realized that blogging would impact me this way.  I have lost another blogger.  Oh, he never  rarely commented on my blog and I wasn't even on his blog list of blogs that he followed.  Actually, he posted only rarely as well.  He and his wife were the only hippies that I really knew, although vicariously.  Being as I never met them, and he blogged less and less, I guess I can't really say I knew him, can I?  So why do I feel as if I did?  Why do I feel as if we once met somewhere and were just keeping in touch via the Internet?

His independence of spirit and willingness to live his beliefs and his interesting photographs were the things that drew me to reading his blog.  After retirement from being a Postman, he lived in the mountains of Southern California in a tiny house.  He and his wife, a lovely bird-like creature, once a model, sold their car and made do with bicycles to get to the local train station on infrequent shopping and visiting trips.  They belonged to food cooperatives, grew much of their own food, and for the most part lived off the land.  He valued independence from society as most hippies do and was hard on those who did not treat nature with respect.  He was wary of any big brother interference in his life and raised his children by the strict standards he set for himself.

He and his wife had recently moved down to the plains for a brief period to help his mother with her house.  Then, after that, he blogged less.  And then, on January 22, he disappeared from this earth.

Being the self-reliant guy he was, he left no indication he was having health problems and I do not know how Peggy, his wife, is coping and whether she will be able to stay in the home she loved so much.  They were a loving couple clearly happy in this end of life living so close to the earth.  I would never have known what happened to him had not his son, in pain, posted a brief epitaph.  If you want to know more about him and his life style go here.

This blogging is not for the weak of heart nor the loner without a family shoulder to rest on.  It will grab you and shake you to your core and cause you to question your values and ideas and take a long hard look at your life.  When I began blogging it was all about putting into the ether sphere questions and feelings and events of my life...but then the great out there began to impact me back.  Who knew?


20 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:04 PM

    I have been there quite a few times. Their blog intrigued me, so I kept going back.

    Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post. The lives of other bloggers really do impact us. I would have never thought that either when I first began blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, I too feel a connection with favourite bloggers, that seems real to me. It is quite unbelievable and I don't like to tell non-bloggers, who make fun of me.

    Blogging fills a need I have and I shall continue blogging until that need is no longer there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend, Tabor. I've lost online friends in the past, as well. It's never easy. The connection is as real as if they're right here in the flesh. I'm really sorry you're hurting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry for this loss, which is real. When Barry died last year I was surprised at the impact it had on me, but upon reading the reactions of others I realized that the connection you have when you read another person's journal is real, and the loss is felt sincerely.

    I visited the link that you provided and regretted that I hadn't been there before. He wrote an entry earlier that was very perceptive and, in hindsight, sheds light on his own notion of death. Very beautiful and visionary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I'm sorry I missed reading his blog when he was alive. I just spent a longish time over there and got pulled right in. I have lost one blogger friend to death since I've been blogging. I think about her and her young son often and sometimes come across old comments she made and feel sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you've lost a special contact.
    I feel this way about many folks met on in blogland the past 5 years- They are very dear to me.
    I'm fortunate the only losses I've had out here so far are dis-continued blogs- even those can be tough to deal with!
    Nice of the Son to inform the public- I'm sure my daughter would do that too-

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is wonderful that his family recognizes what a loss this has been for his blog friends as well. I lost a dear blogger a while back and the family sealed her blog for only a select few. I was truly hurt to be closed from the ability to reminisce over her past posts and celebrate her friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tabor, blogging about 2 years now and many have become so special to me. We have never met in person and yet there is a connection. Sometimes I think it might be a bit stronger - when we write and share it is from the heart.
    I am so sorry - you have lost a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is sad to hear about the passing of a friend who so touched your heart.
    Blogging is a source of wonderment when you consider the number of people it brings into your circle. And it is true--an attachment grows over words and pictures shared.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our blogging friends are just that friends. I am sorry you have lost your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with you, things get scary when one feels the need to leave comments like, "Are you alright?" or "Where ARE you." There is an interconnectedness - if there is such a word- about this 'blogging thing.' I think we are attracted to those like us, and it's a nice place, sad to lose anyone of us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wonderful couple, and a truly beautiful man. I only knew him through blogging, but I miss him, and the world is a poorer place for his passing from it. My heart goes out to Peggy, and their whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never read his blog, but I'll check it out now. I know how it feels to lose a favored blog friend, and it is amazing how deeply they can affect us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. this blog-friend phenomenon often strikes me as being a bit too intangible to be real - but then someone i read has a baby or a sick child or loses a loved one and suddenly s/he is on my mind and in my thoughts and prayers as vividly as if we were next door neighbors. the relationships, although virtual, are real - and so is the worry and sadness and joy that go with them. i am so sorry you have lost your friend, Tabor.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Funny how blogging is made out to be some impersonal space in the "out-there" where no one really connects. We're people, typing words, sharing photos, presenting ideas, thinking out loud... we're not strangers. I went to Earth Home Garden and read the tributes from Jim's sister and son and wished I'd known about the blog before he changed form. John Donne was right when he said, "Every man's death diminishes me." Even the ones we don't "know."

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this loss. I share your sentiments. When my young friend Sam was fighting for his life and then dying his mom blogged every day. Friends and strangers shared her hope, courage and deepest disappointment and sadness. The circle around Sam grew to thousands maybe more. When he left the world, I know there was deep despair in hearts he never knew and there were thousands of earthly angels hugging his mom via the internet. It is not for the weak of heart..but it strengthens my heart to know of these connections.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tabor,
    I'm so sorry about the passing of Jim from the "Earth Home Garden."
    Peg & Jim, what an amazing couple!
    I feel that our virtual friends are real friends!
    Did you know that I read their blog since I begun to bloggging?
    Their life are very inspiring too.
    Too sad really...

    Tabor, you did a moving tribute to Jim here and also wrote true words about Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very sad, Tabor... We do get attached to our blog friends, don't we? I'm sorry about your friend, Jim. He wasn't that old (younger than I am---yipes)..

    I did look at his web page --and always admire people who live like that. I worry about his wife. Not sure she can continue that kind of life alone.

    My thoughts are with HER.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  20. I havent been blog reading for a while, so thank you for the news on the amazing old guy.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.