Sunday, January 23, 2011

Gifts


Some gifts are just so precious that you do not mind oooing and ahhing like a little old lady.  They look as though they were made/selected with love and careful thought instead of made with gears and delivered via conveyor belts after being wrapped in a sterile plastic bubble.  Above is the gift that I received from my son's new girlfriend this past Christmas.  She has met us only a few times, but already she shows insight and taste.  She bought this at a bird store near her home at the edge of  "Pennsylvania's Great Lakes Port City."  I am thinking that our little wren couple, the duo that nest everywhere impractical on my back porch, may find this tiny home inviting come spring.  I can hardly wait!  I already caught the quick shadow of one bird peeking in during one of these dreary winter afternoons.  I find the re-cycled barbed wire for the front 'doorstep' a nice statement...bringing down boundaries.  The whimsy of the curled bark on the roof is the cherry on the frosting roof.

20 comments:

  1. She sounds like a keeper. ;)

    I wondered what that curled piece was. Very interesting little house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some just seem to have a talent for gift giving. I hope the wrens do take advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How thoughtful! Wrens are notorious for avoiding practical housing - I once had a female nest in my clothespin bag!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it. If I had been near and seen it - I would have purchased it. Enjoy - she has good taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your new bird house. Very cute.

    I had a neighbor once who had no screens on her windows, and opened a window from the top down. To her dismay a wren flew in and declared her hanging basket of ivy its home. She didn't have the heart to throw it out so she just left the window open until nesting season was over. The little wren flew in and out at will to check on her brood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely post, so long , how are you?



    Greetings, Happy Sunday! Blessings…

    Friendship Awards, Enjoy!
    Thanks for the support, you Rock!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cool birdhouse. Hope the wrens can take the gift. We had a pair who nested in the bottom of a clematis, not a good ending but they did it again the following years a little higher up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having wrens as tenants would make the gift even more special.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:05 PM

    I like it, too. Will the birds be nesting there soon? Maybe you can get a shot of the new home owners.

    We used to have wrens here, but haven't seen one in many years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You'll probably become great friends in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was thinking of asking for a birdfeeder for Christmas but was afraid I'd get one I didn't like. I'm fussy about stuff like that. I want this one! Red is good feng shui.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh I used to make bird houses like that from found stuff around the ranch. It was great fun.
    Sounds like you have a thoughtful girl there, a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a thoughtful gift! Hope you were pleasantly surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is sweet. Don't you love it when someone has that kind of insight into what you'd appreciate and cherish?

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a perfect gift for you. Bravo to her.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a nice gift and how sweet of her to pick out something that fits your personality.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That birdcage is absolutely lovely, and I love that she was original in her gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow I love it! i may have to make my girlfriends mother a bird house, she loves things like this and I never really thought about it before.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an adorable little wren house, and what an excellent gift from someone who has quickly begun to learn who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE IT!!! I am green with envy. :)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.