Monday, January 10, 2011

Going with the Flow


This is my Chihuly inspired photo of the leaves of fall.  Dave Chihuly, for those who live on the edge of the wilderness, is a famous glass artist.  Born in 1941 his Hungarian, Slavic, Czech, Norwegian, Swedish ancestry may have contributed to his varied and zig-zagged path to glass blowing fame.  He exhibits all over the world and has many permanent and temporary exhibits in museums and hotels and restaurants.  I first saw his work in Las Vegas many years ago.  I recently saw a documentary about him and that inspired my work with the photo of fall leaves above.  I think the fragility of his work lends even more interest as well as controversy to what he does.  The work is mostly beautiful without making a statement as many other art media do.

Below is a photo that I took of pink grasses in the early morning sun at the National Arboretum last fall.  Continuing with the flowing glass theme after some photo-shopping they almost look like glowing or broken glass... no?  My work with digital photos is also just about as fragile as I tend to just experiment without any plan and don't save my steps and therefore, cannot recreate it on a similar photo.  Anyway, I kind of like these, or are people not supposed to say that about their creations?

14 comments:

  1. Yes, people are allowed to like their own work and to say so. For this reader very much so.
    I can't abide false modesty looking for kudos and praise.

    I was not aware of the artist but if your work is a fair example of what he has inspired in you he must be very special.

    The first photo in particular is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I became aware of Chihuly about ten years ago, and his work is gorgeous and very inspiring. I love your photos and yes, they do indeed look like glass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are just beautiful...you absolutely should be proud of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a knack with photoshop! I love the effect in the first shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful work... you've created art and that is something to be proud of.

    I've never heard of Chihuly, most be pretty special to inspire such work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Chihuly inspired art! You are spot on and it is just fine for you to be proud of your work. Dale Chihuly is a PNW local so we follow his work with great interest and pride. And BYW if you are traveling to Seattle I can tell you of a restaurant in Ballard where we sometimes see him having breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like those too. Yes, I am always photoshopping something and am unable to duplicate it later. LOL But that makes it a work of art....which your photographs certainly are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The autumn photo is just stunning. I've not tried much creativity with photos so far, it is hard enough getting them sorted and named. And I've recently changed from photoshop onto apple's own system. Haven't found my way round it. You, however, are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm just beginning to hear more about glass artists and their exibits here and there. I will listen out for his name.

    Your photos - very nice!work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:54 PM

    Wow, I am impressed with your work. What did you use to get that effect in the top photo?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can certainly say that about your creations....and I too, can do just about anything, and do not read directions, so I am in the same pickle you are...I cannot do it twice....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Of course.. and with good reason. It's fun to play with images and yet I so rarely think to do so. You've inspired me to play more. These are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chihuly is a favorite of mine, there is a bunch of his art in the aquarium across from Pike Place in Seattle. Also a video of his work was done a few years back.
    Your pictures are so interesting, it's good to stretch, and play, keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love love love your inspired photo. It's beautiful. Great job. I also like the pink grasses too.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.