Friday, January 28, 2011

Not Wanting to Be Seen


Just as the night was fading
Into the dusk of morning
When the air was cool as water
When the town was quiet
And I could hear the sea

I caught sight of the moon
No higher than the rooftops
Our neighbor the moon

An hour before the sunrise
She glowed with her own sunrise
gold in the grey of morning

World without town or forest
Without wars or sorrows
She paused between two trees

And it was as if in secret
Not wanting to be seen
She chose to visit us
So early in the morning.

...Anne Porter,  from Living Things


( I know, no full moon now.)

12 comments:

  1. how very lovely. I don't know Anne Porter.

    'Not wanting to be seen' so coming early in the morning. There are people who do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the remaining sliver of the moon this morning after daylight. It was small, but very bright.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know of Anne Porter either, but that one is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, lovely. I am always taken by the sight of the moon after daylight, though. When my daughter was very young, we were taking her to the car to transport to daycare in the bright morning light, and she pointed...
    "The moon."
    "Yes, the moon."
    "But the moon makes it dark..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choice for today.... never seen this poem before!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photo to go with this beautiful poem. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the poem and the photo!!
    Gorgeous!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the early morning moon that I see from my deck.
    Thank you for this special poem..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant! You found the perfect poem to accompany your awesome photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:17 AM

    That is a stunning shot, and a very pleasing poem. I am going to look up that writer.
    Thanks for posting the combination.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh but that was lovely - hard to imagine a world without town or forest or wars and sorrows

    and that moon shot! stunning

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely poem and beautiful photo...thanks for the inspiration:)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.