Thursday, January 13, 2011

Thursday Thoughts #31 ---13 Things I Have Learned

  1. Working on photos has a lot to do with math and precision and I am not good at either in spite of being known as somewhat an anal retentive bitch.
  2. Any other person who called me 2 hours ahead to let me know he was coming to spend the night with a guest would get a piece of my mind or at the very least a lie about our sudden plans...except for my son whom I see not often enough.  Instead, he got a piece of my pot roast.
  3. I need to drink more water...really!  (Wine and tea and coffee are not enough.)
  4. You don't always get what you ask for or want and more often than not you get something you did not ask for.  I asked for bubble bath for the holidays, and since I found none in my stocking, I ended buying it on sale after Christmas.  I did not ask for a Kindle and did get that.
  5. It is hard to find meaningful volunteer work in a rural area if you do not belong to a church.
  6. I am a good and patient teacher, except when trying to teach my husband Windows stuff and I think this has more to do with Windows than either him or me (or is that he or I ?).
  7. My daughter had dinner with Rob Lowe recently and while they were prepared to talk entertainment industry, to my relief he really wanted to talk politics.  No air head there.
  8. Thread was recently found that was 30,000 years old made by humans using plant fibers (wild flax) in different colors on pottery.  It seems mankind has always wanted to make and decorate cloth.
  9. Flamingos use a makeup they secrete from a gland near their tail to keep their color bright during the breeding season when the colorful shrimp they eat are not available.  (How long before H. Couture starts selling lipstick made with essence of flamingo butt for thousands of dollars?)
  10. One of the most moving exhibits I have ever seen is the Pulitzer Prize Photos Gallery displayed at the Newseum in Washington, DC.  It brought me to tears several times and reinforced my love of the power of photography.
  11. A 47 F degree gray day with gusty wind is much colder than a 27 F degree sunny day with no wind.
  12. I fear the world will go to 'hell in a hand basket' if my children's generation continue to value "reality" television over reality.  I stumbled across The Bachelor while waiting for another movie to start and actually got nauseous watching the last ten minutes. Why in the hell we spent time burning bras....?
  13. And finally, the best thing I learned this year, is that no matter how many new years come around each is a valuable opportunity to do it better this time.
(One thing I wondered about most recently and have not learned is why is bicycle not pronounced like motocycle in the English language?)

12 comments:

  1. I liked your 13 and agreed with all of them. Water is so important to so many areas of health. In the winter, I draw off my day's ration of water into a pitcher which I keep on the counter. I find the room temperature water easier to drink in the cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have two browsers open so I can respond....but not today. Diet coke doesn't count either. Son's and daughters do. 5. I'm sorry....try your neighborhood school. Any teacher would grab you and put you to work. 6. Him and me. 12. Reallly. All those years of living as an example.....Hmmmmm....

    And why do you have the word verification on your blog? Just had to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie I use word verification because I was getting a number of span commentary posts...appeared to be from Asia and linked to nefarious stuff. I could remove the word verification and see if that returns. I don't approve my comments before they get posted because there may be some time between my reading of the post and the comments. I do have commenter approval gate up for comments older than 2 weeks...I don't always go back and read comments to posts that old. Perhaps I am doing this all backward?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love a Kindle! Just don't read it while taking a bath (in case you drop it!).

    Rob Lowe? Really?! Wow!

    There is a lady at work that I really like but when I hear her talk about the TV show "The Bachelor" I just get ill inside. I've never watched it and never wanted to. Sounds silly to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "than either him or me" is correct and don't you dare say " for you and I that doesn't matter". I'll never come by again.! So there! For you and me that does matter. You prove it in every post.

    ..because b and i don't read m and o and t and o?...

    I really must join these 13 of yours. They seem more intelligent than many other memes.

    And yes, the rules of language ARE important; to me definitely. I hate the stupid mistakes made by people who call themselves writers.

    You never make any.

    ReplyDelete
  6. #10 I hope to visit the Newseum this summer. I know I'll LOVE it! Thanks for speaking of it, because I haven't heard it mentioned lately.

    #12 I've never seen the Bachelor, but the promotions for it are enough to let me know that I don't like it. Many women, obviously, watch it because it is a hit show, and I guess they are able to separate the begging, desperate women from its..."enertainment value?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I drink a lot of water - might be because I always have a dry mouth.
    But I like water. Television on loft and when I wind clock - glance at weather.
    That is it/
    Enjoy that special son !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree on 2,3,4 & 5. My son would be the only person able to get away with that also....lol

    Tell you what. I'll trade you a lot of bubble bath for your Kindle. Okay?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your posts always intrigue or tickle me or make me think along new lines.

    #2- my sons could do the same :)

    #9 can be answered here:
    http://languageandgrammar.com/2008/11/09/is-it-him-and-i-or-him-and-me/

    #12 - we always think we've come so much further ahead than we really have!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see what you mean about the exhibition; just one point about volunteer work, here in Scotland we have some rural transport schemes. Drivers volunteer to take people (no longer able to drive) for appointments. There is a minimum charge towards petrol costs. It works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you like the Kindle? My daughter got one and she loves it. I'm thinking about it.

    And, by the way, though the accusative always sounds better to me after "than", I think the nominative is allowable if the verb to be is understood to follow. These days the nominative is often used inappropriately after prepositions by people who think they are being genteel.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the pot roast joke! And that Rob Lowe wanted to talk politics. I can't even watch an ad for The Bachelor, have to mute or change the channel.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.