Saturday, February 26, 2011

Jamaica -- Part I --- The People

Travel to other countries is always a challenge.  It is exciting, scary, sometimes unexpectedly costly or annoyingly slow!   I am an experienced traveler, which means I know to expect the unexpected and to just accept what I cannot change in the process.  I know to give the local the benefit of the doubt and to not be insulted because I am viewed as a rich explorer who has money in all of my pockets.  I realize being polite and careful is always the best approach.  Keeping as low a profile as possible (you cannot look local no matter how hard you try in 90% of the places you travel) means you will be able to determine more carefully what you want to see.

Jamaica.  Think about that word.  Close your eyes.  What do you see in your mind's eye?  If you have been there you will have a very different image than someone who has not and who must depend on news headlines or tourism ads.  I learned that Jamaica is far more developed in terms of tourism than I expected.  LOTS and LOTS of sterile all-inclusive hotels that have modern high-end shopping areas within walking distance near major beaches.  There are also the smaller and perhaps more tired hotels that retain island charm and a little far from any town or village.  I stayed somewhere in between.  I will tell you of my prejudice that I held before getting there.  I expected the people to be somewhat sullen and angry about their poverty.  After all, they came from slaves that had been treated extremely cruelly.  They fought hard for their independence.  I expected them to put up with me and my money but not interested in me as a person.  BUT I was very, very wrong.  The people of Jamaica are brilliant like sunshine.  They are polite and soft like a fragrant temperate breeze.  Many are well educated and anticipate your questions.  They are very patient and while some approach you only to start a conversation and then ask for money, most understand if you do not want to buy that wood carving or dress.  Most accept "No thank you" with generous grace.

So Part I is all about the people:

These young school boys on tour were more interested in us than the historic fort...just look at those mischievous smiles.


The girls are more somber, but Jamaica culture does still view women as sex objects
and thus they approach the different with care.  I watched a soap opera or two on TV
and hope women have stronger leaders sooner rather than later.



Lots of folk art, but nothing I needed to take home.  Here
is a wood carver working on a Bob Marley bust.


Every tropical area my husband tries to find that perfect drinking
coconut that has bubbles.  They are hard to find!


This young man worked on the coffee plantation (owned by a Japanese)
that we visited.  I just LOVED his hair.


This young pregnant gal worked outside our hotel
walking the beach and
waiting every day to braid someone's hair.  Not my
best look, so I passed.



This fellow was taking a break at Spanish town.  Notice he has his
pants leg rolled up for bike riding.


He does this every day and yet that smile is so fresh and beautiful.


These school girls are taking provocative poses ( like teenagers everywhere)
and I wondered if this was going to end up on a Facebook page soon.


We took a bamboo raft trip down the river and this guide
was on the raft behind us.


For some this is a Caribbean vacation...NOT ME even if the rum is free! (Go ahead and
click on the photo and see if you recognize someone!)

15 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed the pictures. I'm not a traveler of wide experience but when I have traveled I've found the people are everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bring back memories. Years ago I went to this island many times. Love the people and when I arrived home I would always try to practice their slow walk with a smiling face. Thank you for this post. A dream to return but I do not feel comfortable going solo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not been to Jamaica and you are the first person I've heard who has good things to say about it, but then, you look for the positive, don't you?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure makes me want to visit. Such a nice nod to the Jamaicans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an intriguing set of people-pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have really captured something of the island with these gorgeous pictures. I love that they feature the people instead of the scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:42 AM

    This time, I am glad you were wrong. I enjoyed your photos, and reading about the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Travel via blog buddies is always so satisfying - you seem to pick out the most interesting sights. Did I know anyone on that rum runner?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pauline, I don't think so, unless you were awar someone you knew (besides me) was in Jamaica! (smile)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like traveling with you, it's always interesting and a bit off the beaten path.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful pictures!! And what a beautiful way to describe the people there. Thanks
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice. I now have Jamaica on my list of places to visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great people shots, love how you brought us along to meet your hosts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I clicked on the photo, but for the life of me, can't find you or any body else I could remotely recognize!

    These are some great photos of Jamaica. I love the one of the seated man, with his cuff rolled up. The countryside looks so lush, and not as deforested as I had imagined.

    Were there tropical birds (parrots?) flying free?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Joe worked in St. Croix after Hurricane Hugo and I visited for 2 weeks. St. Croix had a lot of poverty and a similar culture to Jamaica, but I had heard then that Jamaica was risky, a more rough part of the islands. So, I have never been, but I we did enjoy St. John (sublime) and even St. Thomas (although that was more commercial). Too bad digital cameras hadn't been invented yet. The few photos I have are small and not of the best quality.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.