Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Pro and the Con

I have mentioned in a past post that I received a Kindle for Christmas from my daughter.  I did not ask for a Kindle.  I was a fence sitter when it comes to electronic reading.  But my daughter loves hers and in her busy life of family, work and travel she found she can read so much more with a Kindle and wanted to share her joy.

The are numerous columns and comments about e-reading versus physical copies of books.  I am still a sort of fence sitter.  I have found pros and cons...and thus I will list them.

Pro Kindle (or perhaps other e-readers):

Easy to transport.
Easy to hold.
Easy to read as font sizes can be enlarged immediately.
Easy to bookmark a page, highlight a passage, look up a word in the e-dictionary.
    (Although I have not figured out how to easily find the specific highlighted passage weeks later.  I have a photographic memory and could find it in the physical book by remembering how far in and where on the page.)
Easy to buy a new book from ANYWHERE and download it in seconds.
I can get the latest title without waiting for it to show up in the library or bookstore.
I can peruse several chapters before buying.
E-books are cheaper.
It can hold something like 10,000 titles.
Has free stuff and word games---the more you buy the more free stuff.


Con Kindle:


Photos are not in color.
Some graphs and photos are not in electronic format at all.
It is not as easy to peruse a book although one can search for details.
I would miss the shelves of books in my house that start many a conversation with guests.
I cannot loan wonderful books.
It is a good format for reading...but art books, no!
Keyboard is too small for my old hands.
I no longer dare read in the bathtub.
I am on a guilt trip thinking I may be undermining publishers and libraries.
There is little serendipity with the e-book, you really read linearly.
I still like the book format so very much (just like Captain Kirk.)

The debate is now open for comments.

19 comments:

  1. I have been wondering whether I should put one on my list of "must-haves". I know I would miss having newer books around, although the thousand or so we have now would not be disposed of. I do like the portability of it, since I take a book wherever I go.

    I have read that Barnes and Noble's "Nook" IS in color. I wonder if that is enough of a perk to consider that one instead of the Kindle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having never even held an e-book in my hands, I feel unqualified to comment on their merits or lack thereof, but I can speak for books ad nauseam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mine,Tabor! I use it for "junky" novels and books I want to read--but not keep. Using a Kindle has not stopped me from ordering "real" books--new and used. Living in a very rural area--I don't have bookstores. So Amazon is my mall. Love being able to have books "delivered" quickly--without boxes and postage charges.

    I think it is great to have both options. And the best part is that cozy feeling reading in bed--by the light of the Kindle. Easy on the eyes. (Being able to adjust the font is super--for these old eyes). And my husband can sleep--without light in his face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a very good job listing the pros and cons. My opinion is very much like Tracey's. I had one of the older Kindles until a few days ago when I upgraded to a new one which I really love.

    Since I am an apartment dweller I have no room nor any desire to build a large library of books. The Kindle is the perfect solution for my situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmmmmmm. I had thought that a kindle wouldn't be so great in the dark, in the same way I dislike looking at a computer screen in the dark. Kindles don't sound cozy; they just don't,at least not in the same way as the sensory load of an old cloth binding and the scent of paper. So it is very interesting to read what Tracey says.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love my Kindle and take it everywhere. Living in the back of beyond with no access to brick & mortar bookstores, it really is a blessing. Put a leather cover on mine to protect it and give me that good smell.
    The fun thing is that I've had more people come up to me and start a conversation ie: what are you reading, do you like your Kindle... ???

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have one but I can see where there would be times they'd come in handy. On vacation, it would be a lot easier to carry it around than to pack or purchase a number of books. But as far as purchase price goes, the real deal wins out for me. I'm far more inclined to load up on books at garage sales each summer at 25 - 50¢ each. Still, I wouldn't turn a Kindle down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am asking for one for my birthday. I think I will ask for the leather cover, too.

    My desire is to download white papers and pdf files to read at meetings (during the boring parts) so that I can stay abreast of my technology stuff.

    Currently, I print out a bunch of white papers and pdf files before a meeting. I don't like doing that for obvious reasons.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_paper

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Document_Format

    LOL! My word verification is "funner"! Are kindles more "funner" than books?

    ReplyDelete
  9. At the moment I would not want one.
    I am home most of the time, take a book with me when I have an appt.
    I do not have as much room as in the past but I like to see books in every room. My favorites with many dated and underlined passages.
    They are like old friends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a Kindle fence sitter.

    I had a good laugh over your comment " I don't dare read in the bath tub."

    I can understand why.

    My daughter and `
    12 year old granddaughter love their Kindles

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sure that sooner or later I will have one. My daughter has one and loves it. It sounds to me as if there is definitely a niche for the electronic book, but "real" books will, I hope, continue to be wanted and thus manufactured.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I stick to Pro side for sure.!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been wondering whether to get a kindle so your list has been very helpful - plus all the comments. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, all that is wonderful exercise guaranteed to let you reach exercise Nirvana. :) And flexibility. :)

    I don't have one, but I think I would go with the other brand as you can check out books on it. Me....wall to wall books is my preference. We should start to get fewer books at the thrift store now that more readers have Kindles.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry but I'm still on the fence with this one. I know many have them and love 'em... but I'm not there yet!

    Good pro/con list for the fence sitter though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for your perspective. I too am thinking on getting an e-reader, but as you said, nothing beats the feeling of holding a book in hand and leafing through the pages.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The problem for me is it seems we end up needing (or thinking we do) two of everything, like a land phone and a cell phone, a kindle and books. I don't want a kindle because I need to highlight or pencil books for reference as I read them . I usually read with a pen in hand. But I am 10 years behind the curve on everything so who knows what I might love in ten years. (Never a baseball field in an empty hay field)

    ReplyDelete
  18. a kindle is a great gadget, especially if it's a gift. :D as you told me, the coin has two sides. always.

    ReplyDelete
  19. If you wait 6-8 months, speculation is that they'll become like inkjet printers where all the cost isn't the machine but the books/ink.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.