Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Survey or Was It?



Let us say that you have a local bank where you do most of your business.  Let us say that after the bad news on banks in years past, you really like this bank because it did not get bad press.  You like this bank because it provides good service and is conveniently located in both your town and also in the grocery where you shop.

Let us say that after numerous phone calls, from a phone number ID of Pittsburgh, PA which you did not recognize, you decide to finally answer the phone.  Let us say that the call is from the marketing headquarters of your bank and they really, really, really, really love your patronage and want to survey you as one of their favored customers.   (No, neither of your accounts is in the 6 figures.)  They want to know what it is that you like about their bank, and what it is that you don't like, and what you would recommend for better service to you, their valued customer.  I suggested higher interest rates which brought a chuckle on the other end.

Now answer me this question:

Why after this 8 ( golly it seemed like 20) minute phone call which you had to break off yourself with a false excuse, do you now know that the bank interviewer is 38, has a girlfriend, they are Redskins fans, they both love to garden, he will use your term 'therapeutic' in relation to gardening if you don't mind(?), they never buy tomatoes from the store...although the farmer's market can sometimes provide a decent tomato, the interviewer's mother is 70, both he and his mother lost a chunk of money in the market crash (through investments with Leighman Brothers), after which he fired his investment counselor, and as a final tidbit of info, he is now concerned because his mother is on a fixed income? Why is he telling me this?!!  I am not a Chatty Kathy, so I did not pull this out of him.  As a matter of fact, I barely got a word in edgewise except for answering a rare question or two.  As I stood impatiently talking to this man and staring out my front window, I almost thought it was a joke and that I was part of some 'you got punked' show expecting Brad Pitt to show up at my door cell phone in hand and big grin on his face.  Fat chance.

After several commiserating comments on my part which I was able to make while the interviewer took a breath, I then insisted I HAD to go.  He responds with, "Well, I still have several more questions to ask you.  Perhaps I can call you back later or in a few days?"  (Not in your wildest wet dreams, kiddo.)  With a smile in your voice you recommend he do that and then hang up the phone and make a promise to yourself not to answer any more phone calls with the ID Pittsburgh, PA.  (I now wonder if he was trying to get personal information out of me and this wasn't a bank call after all?  He did find out that I like to garden and I am not a Redskins fan.)

Sigh.

18 comments:

  1. I hate those kind of calls. Last evening I got sucked into a political survey. It was so skewed it was worthless. I hope I remember that next time I'm looking at political polls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Survey calls are annoying and I hang up on them but I'd probably check with my bank and see if they are actually doing a survery, I am chronically suspicious of those callers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...doing a survey, I can't spell today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At one time I was on the call list for every survey going...drove me up the wall. Now when I get that type of call I give totally off the wall answers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I simply DON'T let them get that far.Survey or no survey, I interrupt very quickly, say 'no thank you' and hang up, unless the caller can convince me that they are genuine. Actually, banks never 'cold call' over here.

    I've always said - and say it even more now that I have contact with so many - Americans are extremely kind and friendly and polite. You need to get some European bad manners!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right. This call was more than odd and very unprofessional. Please stop by your branch bank and tell the manager. Real surveys aren't usually like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:31 PM

    I would say call the bank, too. You never know who is after identity information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate to say this, but I am suspicious of ANY phone call from ANY unknown number about ANY topic these days. A person can't tell anymore if calls are legitimate! I simply don't answer unknown calls any more. I may be missing out on the millions I've inherited fro an uncle I didn't know existed but .......

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having twice been a telephone solicitor in my very early work history, I suggest you be polite but hang up quickly. Some people talk because they think they are doing you a favor. Forget that and get off the line so they can move on to the next. They are bound to hit a sucker pretty soon. You can bet your guys calls are timed and the longer he keeps you on the line, the more it looks like he was actually keeping your interest. Then he went back and filled in your answers himself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with what Grannie Annie said. These calls can be very annoying but I'd rather put up with a survey than a solicitor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a weird survey. Granny is probably right: he filled in the answers himself and got paid by the minute. He was so sick and tired of the survey himself that he didn't even bother with it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. But at least they didn't do a money scam on you - I've been ranting on my blog today about that.

    I think you must have a nice smiley voice or something!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tell them all (if I get somehow tricked into answering) that I died some time ago and I hang up. I seldom get any more calls ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awwwggggg---I hate those kinds of calls... I stay away from surveys as much as possible... I just wish those companies whom we do business with would QUIT calling us for junk like this... I try NOT to answer the phone about 99% of the time... Drives me crazy!!!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am very cautious about any information over the phone. If they say they are from a business with which I deal, i figure I can call that business. The spam was supposed to be stopped but they always find a connection. I prefer stuff that comes in the mail as it's easier to see where it's going.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, does that sound like an irritaing call! I never answer my line. A message must be left, n I'm so glad I do it that way. Important folks will leave a message, which I can pick up on or call right back.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How weird. I think you have a prankster, but he must be a very lonely sort.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hilarious. I'm rolling on the floor.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.