Thursday, April 07, 2011

Thursday Thoughts #33...Thirteen Things I Learned in March


1.  Both men and women taste the same according to cannibals.  (Equality at last!)
2.  Republican State Representative Alan Hale from Montana thinks the drunk driving laws in his state are both draconian and adversely impact small businesses.  He wants the DUI laws repealed. ( Montana roads are NOT that empty.  I wish all these idiots had a country/state all to themselves.)
3.  Children who are the happiest, are the most likely to use drugs or alcohol to excess.  Children who face at least some stress in their lives are not.  (Remember these are likely percentages...not certainties.  The study was mentioned in David Brooks recent book.)
4.  Only 10% of children are actually born on their predicted due date.
5.  Daffodils do not always increase in numbers and naturalize, at least in my yard.  :-(
6.  One community has tried to ban a child who is allergic to peanuts from their school.  They want the child home-schooled so they can feed their children peanut products in lunches.  (Really!  Is the most creative they can be in solving this problem?)
7.  In a recent interview by Bill O'Reilly, Donald Trump began to question whether Obama was actually born in this country, and O'Reilly, to his credit, indicated he thought it was a stupid argument.  (He (THE DON) will never run for president because he will actually have to turn over his finances to be managed by someone else, but he will always say outrageous stuff because he is an attention sump.)
8.  If you are short on topics for dinner conversation perhaps you might want to discuss this statistical data and its meaning for your dinner guests.
9.  Or here where I learned that Indonesia has the highest number of twitter users on the planet.
10.  Japan first tried cement on the leak and then went to shredded paper and sawdust...does this have a familiar ring to anyone?
11.  This spring I got a third grandchild and this gal had triplets.  For live camera action, go here.  The nest weighs over a ton!
12.  This is an inspiring self-publishing story.
13.  I learned this month that even good writers (those far better than I) have concerns about their abilities to write.  I try to re-read my posts a few times before putting them up.  Typos and grammatical errors still squeak through, but my over-sized ego will survive when I see the mess ups.  Fortunately, I do not have to make my living at this.

(As a post script I cannot believe that lawyers (and others) with six figure salaries and excellent health care programs cannot get their act together and solve this budget issue!  Shutting down the government is a bigger mess than most people can comprehend.  One tiny effect is that federal libraries have significant gaps in their research subscriptions proving this.  The next time that Food and Drug scientist is looking for that unique study and has to wait several weeks to get the article Faxed to the office, let's hope it wasn't about something you ate.)

17 comments:

  1. Do you save these things for us all month? My thought is that Hale must be an alcoholic himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post. Much to think about. I can't imagine how you remembered all those things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am completely out of thoughts this Thursday, If I dredge any up before the end of the day here I'll add them.

    You have obviously been foresighted enough to collect your tantalising ten long before the event.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I did start last week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Tabor, lots to think about here for sure. I love it that the internet star of the last couple of weeks has been an eagle family and NOT Charlie Sheen.
    A fabulous use for your lens cap, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some interesting items there. I almost wish the gov. would shut down long enough for those who think it is such a great idea to realize that it isn't. However, too many others would be hurt by this and i am probably over estimating the learning abilities of "tea baggers."

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a mom to a daughter with a peanut allergy, #6 just makes me mad! (Congrats on your new grandchild!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. very entertaining post! #6 makes me mad! how selfish - but i don't think those parents will have a leg to stand on. i'm a big fan of #11, now that i am convinced the cameras are not hampering the process. i just don't understand how the issue in #7 keeps coming up over and over again - enough, already!!! and the data in #8 is, um, interesting. self-reporting, do you suppose? finally, i love love love the photo! perhaps you'll find a similar one on my blog after i let a respectable amount of time go by. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting ponderings. Love the lens cap on the glass of red wine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's some fantastic stuff here, and no mistake. I haven't yet followed up on all the links, but intend to. Unbelievable some of it - almost!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 4. did not know that.

    lots I didn't know. it was a fascinating learning month.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous3:50 PM

    Lots of information here! I will save number 7 to impress my sister. She thinks she knows everything.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Japan: just what I've been thinking. First we're dumping oil then toxic waste in the poor ocean. It's crime!

    I enjoyed the self-publishing story. My son Josh told me about Lu Lu but I'm too lazy to look into the learning curve.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing all this great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  15. #s 1 and 8 made me laugh out loud. Who collects this data? #s 2 and 6 irritated my sense of sanity and fair play, and #7 is just outrageous. I'm with you on the postscript - I still think we should, as my grandfather used to say, "Throw the bums out on the street and let's see how smug they are then."

    ReplyDelete
  16. I learn so much from you.....
    On the peanut issue, I have a grandson with peanut allergies. I admit to viewing this with bias, but, having to go without a peanut butter meal during school vs a child missing the whole experience of being in a classroom setting just doesn't seem equal to me...I could go on and on....but, I like you too much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Alot of interesting stuff here, n great links to check out-

    I got a good idea, a sign to put on the No Peanut kid with the red cross-thru over a pic of a peanut. Then the lunch line workers could keep an eye out-

    How hard was that one?

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.