Saturday, June 18, 2011

Old Stuff


There are people who almost salivate upon entering an antique mall or when given an opportunity to peruse the booths at an antique fair.  They make sure not to miss Antiques Roadshow (either the British or the American versions) on television each week.  And it is very difficult for them to just drive by a garage sale on an errand-filled morning.

I am not one of those people. I own way too much stuff and dusting is not my favorite thing to do.  While I find old stuff interesting and find a discussion of its creation or history interesting, it is only as an idle diversion.  I can count on one hand the number of times I have gone into an antique store and in most of those cases I was looking for garden ornaments rather than items to dust.
 
On a recent trip with my daughter we explored a large antique mall.  She was looking at antique jewelry and has a new interest in antique watches.  While I had fun looking at the items from my youth, antique lady that I am, it wasn't until I saw this vase below that I got motivated.  Most of my vases are generic from flower shops or previous interesting food containers and barely useful in holding flowers.
 
I saw this green glass charmer in a glass case and immediately bought it.  It is only about 5 inches high and perfect for flowers with broken stems.  I then spent the rest of the time looking at other vases throughout the store and found one more.  This is a tall art deco and I noticed after I purchased it that it was not truly vertical!

I have decided my new mission when I am bored wandering in an antique shop is to look for vases to replace my generic clear glass collection. (I have been having trouble with Internet band width and not able to do any blogging the last few days and while it has been good for my soul, it has kept me from posting.)



17 comments:

  1. I am not an antique buff either, but I love your purchases. Both vases are very attractive and add something lovely to emcse the floweral arrangements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good idea, the vases are so complimentary to the posies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for your soul, hmmm? Have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I love antique stuff. The vases are beautiful and so are the flowers arranged in them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I am e.x.a.c.t.l.y. like you on this. You can actually use these cool old vases. You won't need to dust them.

    I had a friend who died just one year ago, an artist, who was also an antique buff. She collected vases (and many other things too), and then did amazing pencil drawings of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The leaning vase of flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely way to relax and then enjoy the fruits of your purchases. The vases are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Generic glass vases? What are they?
    I use a lot of jam jars, or free gifts that used to come with petrol, but I also have several posh, crystal ones, inherited from the family.

    Haven't been in a junk shop/ antique mall for years. You have inspired me to stop off in one next time I visit a high street that boasts one.

    I used to love spending time in them, fingering everything and then putting it back as ridiculous or guiltily buying it because it was just too sweet/naff/useless/pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore antique stores and junk shops, but I don't buy things anymore (I'm tired of dusting too!!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are beautiful.
    I need nothing else.
    Have some beautiful vases
    that were bought years ago.
    Will not even venture in
    one of these stores.
    I might be tempted :)
    If you enjoy it - do it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enthusiastically support your vases. I miss you when you aren't hear tho.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice. I used to love cruising antique malls because they appeal to my sense of history and a bargain but like you I don't want anymore stuff(and also don't like knick knack dusting). I still have a thrift shop clothing addiction though. I only want things I love but don't always stick to that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous4:47 PM

    I feel the same as you do about old things. My sister has an antique mall, and when she comes to Maine, that is all we do!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to collect Depression glass and Japanese lustreware and wallpockets and Fire King mugs and .... well, I haven't bought anything for a long time.

    But I recognized your first vase as an Akro Agate slag glass vase right away from when I used to prowl antique malls looking at glassware. Now I wish I had bought one or two when I was buying.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Actually I have some old stuff to sell, but haven't made it to the dealers due to them being closed early n on my Day Off. All the shops close by have closed down.

    My mother had some great vases- wonder who got them all- I have a jar collection n a small 3" for the short-stemmed petunias. Are the flowers from your garden? Very beautiful!

    My computer has been going bonkers on me all week too! blog stats way down suddenly!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Spouse and I are both pack-rats. Adore auctions, flea markets, garage sales, etc. Store our booty (some call junk and we call commodities) in the barn and what I don't carry in the house as useful items, remains in the barn for that big sale we plan to have one day. We absolutely cannot help ourselves and our children shake their heads in horror of how they might have to deal with it someday. Yet they invariably take a stroll through the barn occasionally and say, "Oh may I have this...or that...or the other?" And we of course say, "Certainly" and smile.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your vases are gorgeous!
    I only shop thrift stores because I live on a tiny social security check, but I think they are better than the antique stores. You just have to look harder and longer, and then when you find a special vase like these it is all the more exciting.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.