Saturday, July 30, 2011

The First Night

It is three in the morning in a dark bedroom and I am on my knees with my face almost to the carpet.  This is not an EAT=PRAY=LOVE moment as I am not praying...at least not formally.   I am trying to get the courage to run my hand under the edge of the darkness of the bed.  I have looked against the grayness of the sheets and all around the floor with no luck.

There is a little four-year-old whimpering quietly in my nearby bed.  She has lost her 'doggie,'  The bright pink one with the rip in its' bottom that was placed ever so carefully in her arms earlier when she was tucked in bed next to her 6-year-old brother.

Suddenly the young boy sits straight up in bed as if awakened by my gentle search.  I recognize his Elmo doll on the pillow between him and his sister.  But, I see he has something in his arms as he stares across the room.  I reach over and grab the Elmo and take the small dog from his arms and thrust Elmo in his arms and gently push him back down on the bed.  Hubby comes out of the bathroom and I whisper that he has to sleep with his grandson as granddaughter has taken his place in my bed.  I hand her the doggie and slip in beside her.  She is in heaven.  She has her doggie and she gets to snuggle with Neena. I am going to try to fall asleep once again before the sun.

Thus goes our first night of vacation.  Grandkids = 2 and grandparents =0

16 comments:

  1. So cute! Cuddles! Big smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would attaching a string to the nighttime companion help? With the other end attached to a sleeve or wrist?

    On the other hand, you'll probably get used to disturbed nights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is funny. My grand children can't sleep in the same bed because the "other" is a bed hog. Guess what? They both are bed hogs. I usually have a ten hour nap after they leave. Then I start to miss them again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:25 AM

    Did you get any sleep?

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh tabor, i love this! it reads like a side of you i don't yet know. hope you got some sleep and that you're making good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2-0, perhaps; but you're still winning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a sweet story and it's
    funny, too. I can just visualize the whole scene.

    I hope hubby was 'on board' with the new sleeping arrangements.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww you're with your grandchildren.. that sounds like win-win to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep! That sounds like an appropriate score! I have five grandkids...and they have been taking turns to visit us this summer as well. Grandkids 4 - Grandparents -1 !!!!
    We have one more to go and she is here now. Sigh!
    Hang on to that bank card!! Ouch!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn
    PS These are all teenagers by the way!! Yikes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vacation with the grandchildren! What a beautifully crafted short short story that captures the moment so perfectly. I love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, I remember those nights of snuggling with my grandchildren. Now they would rather die!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brave, kind, wonderful gramma. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is no better thrill on earth than traveling with grandchildren! I am jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. In a few short days they'll go home to their parents, and you can catch up on your sleep: sounds like you'll need it by then!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful story and a great moment to treasure. It reminds me of when I was little and would stay the night at my grandparents. Good times.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.