Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Ten+ Things I Learned

Vacations are learning experiences.




I learned that lighting, thunder, and hail will still turn me back from a high mountain hike to reach a silver lake even if I did see a moose dart into the distant underbrush.

I learned that salami, crackers and fresh fruit are wonderful when eaten in the fresh air and beside a rushing river.

I learned that the desert blooms year round in spite of its sparse reputation.

I learned that petroglyphs and pictographs are EVERYWHERE.  Early native Americans lived a pleasant life in this desert with lots of time for art.

I learned that booking a B&B might not mean what you think it means.  Ours was a re-modeled church in a small mining town and the breakfast was a serve-yourself across the street at the sister motel!

I learned that removing mud from vehicles can be a big business in a land with "off-roads" and lots of mining equipment.

I was reminded how dangerous floods are in the desert as we encountered several washed out roads.

I learned that getting a glass of wine or the odd margarita is harder than buffalo hunting in New York City.  This is Mormon country and, as one waitress said, "Getting a liquor license out here is impossible!"

I learned that the best enchilada and the best Margarita can be found way out in the desert at the Cafe Diablo in Torrey, Utah.

I learned that when the restaurant(s) say(s) the meal comes with scones...these are fresh and delicious products, but they are NOT scones.  They are what the rest of the world world calls a hole-less doughnut.

I learned that I am not too old to learn something new.



13 comments:

  1. I remember going to a Chinese restaurant in Utah (yes, really) that advertised, "We have a wine list!" And they did...
    Red
    White
    Pink

    It is gorgeous country though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you have a wonderful vacation...I like learning that I can still learn... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Petroglyphs and pictographs? Are you sure my grandchildren hadn't been there?

    Doesn't all food just taste better outdoors and especially near rushing water?

    Do I envy you? Oh yes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You saw a moose in Utah? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Kerry, there are moose in those lands and the minute I raised my telephoto and just before the first crack of thunder this femail moose saw me and bolted! It was hunting season, I was told.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've not been to that area of the country; maybe I don't want to....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, I just read up on it, and there are about 4,000 moose in Utah, having migrated there a hundred years ago. Wonder how long it'll take them to get to Oregon?

    You were lucky to see one, but I guess it's mating season for them and they're on the move. Too bad you didn't get a picture, darn it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a very poetic and fun way to tell us something about your trip and it brought back memories of Joe and I camping in Colorado.

    I want to like salami because it travels so well and looks good but why does it smell like stinky feet?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for letting to a journey with you.
    Think I like being here in the woods...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not too old and blessed with the capacity to absorb and appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love reading all of your thoughts... Interesting what we DO learn by going to different parts of the country/world... I enjoy traveling --but it's always nice to get back home to my own bed!!!!!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is lovely. No kidding.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.