Thursday, October 13, 2011

Thursday 13 # 35 - More Free Advice - via Definitions (!)

Yes, I have changed the mask of my blog. (Don't you love the jig this bird is doing?)  Hope you like it.
  1. Photography.  When photographers say the camera used does not matter, that is 50% true.  A good capture can be made with a cheap point and shoot camera...but a good lens means you have a much better chance of getting that capture closer to what your eye is seeing.
  2. Gold.  There is a BIG difference between buying actual gold as a investment and gold stocks.  Do your research or you will be out a good chunk of money down the road.  (Same advice for reverse mortgages that seems to be promoted this year on every single channel.)
  3. Loneliness.  Most people are "people who need people" as Ms. Streisand has sung.  But many creative souls are perfectly happy being alone and we should understand and respect that.
  4. Parenting.  When you are feeling critical of how your parents reacted to you at some time in your life, just put your child in that same place and think how you would/did react.  (Of course, if you don't have kids, you may have to manipulate this a little for the lesson.)
  5. Losing Weight.  The only thing that works, and it is not guaranteed to work exactly as you hope,  is eating less and moving around more.  Just because you don't end up looking like (insert fav skinny/ripped celebrity name here) doesn't mean you aren't getting so much healthier and happier.
  6. Compromise.  In our complex world compromise is essential in moving forward, whether you are an environmentalist, a tea party protestor, a politician or a parent.  "My way or the highway" only works in Hollywood Westerns.
  7. Pets.  These little organic entities have been proven to enhance, purify, save, and add fun to a life.  If you are allergic you should adopt an animal at a preserve as a remote pet and it will indeed improve your life and help save the world.
  8. Trust.  You should trust everyone in the beginning.  Yes, you will get blindsided once in a while, but you will be rewarded more often with justification for that trust.  (This is why I am so against the political fear drum that is being beaten to death every day.)
  9. Gift Giving.  The best ( and least expensive) gift you can give anyone is time.  Time that gives someone a break to be with someone else, or be with you and your effervescent personality, or just time for them to take a nap!
  10. Moments.  You must try each day to grab some of these and stop and breathe and really look at them closely using every single sense you have.  Surprised?
  11. Religion.  Everyone has one even if they say they don't.  Something is your motivator each day.  People believe in something, even if it is their own powerlessness.  Only you can change your religion, others cannot.
  12. Cantaloupe.  A poisonous and deadly fruit.
  13. Keys to Happiness.  A sense of loving one's self and not giving up...ever...except on those battles that will not win the war,   What war?  The one that fights for you to live your life and not some other person's.
(I searched 'advice' on my blog and came up with 100 entries.  I am the most obnoxious and ego-inflated person I know!)

13 comments:

  1. Hi there, I got stuck on the first one... I do think the camera makes a huge difference... Once I got away from the point and shoot and went to my Canon, my photos improved 100%....

    I agree on the losing weight part. I am really working hard at it now. All of the gimmicks in the world don't really help. It's just a matter of eating right (and slowly and not too much) --and being active.... Think it would be easy!!!! ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't resist buying cantaloupe these days. It's so cheap. Let's see, what else did you say...I found myself agreeing all the way down the list.
    I need to learn how to handle a better camera, but it seems very complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't you a wise owl!

    Did you come up with these just for this post (in which case I'm even more impressed) or have they been growing steadily over a little time?

    Why is the cantaloupe poisonous?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh well, I'm allergic to cants anyway they give me hives. That bird photo is delightful, I really mean that. It made me laugh when I saw it. The greatest thing about free advice is I can use it or lose it, keep on, yours is thoughtful. The best thing about losing weight was being able to bend over to paint my own toenails without my tummy squeezing all the air out of my lungs. Nothing is going to make me look 20, 30, or even 60 again, but who cares, feeling good is worth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new header.
    Never stop and weight no problem.
    "C" I love but almost afraid to eat now.
    Yes, Miss Callie is my constant companion.
    Being alone no longer bother's me.
    At one time it did.
    Camera my almost constant companion for 5 years.
    Another great entry :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's the story on cantaloupe? Is it responsible for some food borne illness now and I missed that news?
    I had cantaloupe a couple weeks ago and I was sick right after--sick enough to not want to eat again anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are NOT obnoxious or ego-inflated!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I too love the banner. That is a great capture. He does look like he is doing a jig. If I had hollow bones I would probably perch on a twig and dance, too.

    I also think this list is phenomenal. It says SO much!

    I love cantaloupe but it now gives me heartburn so I do not need to worry about that latest episode. Is it still going on? What a mess! The last time I read anything on the subject a total of 14 people had died.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are resisting cantaloupe for now but because of our love for it, we will have to start taking chances next year.

    You have made such good statements here we just might have to start calling you Confucius.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the new picture of you too.

    Ah, cameras. I'm taking G's little point and shoot to work today. Only one or two pictures from my old camera are in focus. We need to take it back tho I keep insisting that it's operator error.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all the advice - it's amazing how much of it has helped me today, especially the weight loss part. Ho hum! I shall have to search for an online community that doesn't cost a fortune to join. By the way - the happy sparrow is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. that bird looks like a female house (English) sparrow, Passer domesticus. there's lots of those little guys here in germany.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.