Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thanks

Whew. Everyone  has eaten too much food and they have finally left in their cars, one family to head home and decorate their house and the other couple to head to (future in-laws) the house of the girl friends parents which is a 6 hour drive north.

The house is peaceful and I am sure, once I find energy, I will be retrieving left-behind treasures and other nefarious surprises.  I still have windows filled with scotch-taped home-made Thanksgiving decorations.  I may just leave them up and write off the Christmas decorations altogether!  I have linens from the dining room and the bedroom and bathrooms to wash, crumby floors to sweep and bathrooms to clean (not sure why young boys miss more often than hit the target).

Fridge is stuffed with food and I am loving not having to cook for days only needing to make a few sauces and perhaps rice.

Hubby wanted very much to take a canoe trip today after we waived goodbye.  I really wanted to collapse and do nothing, but he really needs the water exercise for his peace of mind after days indoors with toddlers and I agreed.  It was lovely in the 60's. misty sun through the clouds and mirror still waters to make the ride so smooth.  Photos may be posted on the other blog.

While it was not a perfect TG (turkey was finished 2.5 hours early...another story if you request! and some toddlers had various melt-downs, my son-in-law and I try hard to find more to agree about) it was the closest I have been to a perfect TG in years.  I am blessed this year, and thus, will not complain on any future holidays that do not meet my  high expectations.

Having returned from the 4 hour canoe trip, I am going to heat a cup of apple cider and add some spiced rum and put my feet up and watch a little TV before heating leftovers for dinner.

16 comments:

  1. You tell it like it is! Something most can relate to and sort of the out takes of Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take it that wasn't too bad but you're quite glad it's all over for another year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even the best of holiday get-togethers can leave a body feeling overly stretched; may all but the best fade out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best part of Thanksgiving is the left overs and not having to cook for awhile..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. it all sounds wonderful! definitely leave the window decorations up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always nice to see family and friends, but always a relief when they have gone huh? I understand how you probably feel Tabor - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. Understand all you shared. Took me two days to put up all that I normally do not use for one and go over floors. Peaceful once again and do not have to cook for a few days...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have already been to the post office to mail "left behinds". Our postmaster informed me I wasn't the first. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a fine day overall. Particularly the canoe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to hear the turkey story - of course! And the children melt downs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brings back last year's memories of working so hard to make the meal which is eaten up in minutes and then spending almost as much time cleaning up as I did getting ready for the big day. But having family around is the best!.

    ReplyDelete
  12. toddler melt downs can be something to see!
    all in all it sounds like a lovely time
    I would leave the Thanksgiving decor up, Christmas gets too much play anyway ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds a bit as if it were a brave new holiday. Me...I would have let him row all by himself. Personally, I feel my bra very retreating. Words too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We like or love things when it's happening and we're glad when it's all over. :)

    Enjoy the memory of all the love that just left your home and the solitude of the current.

    It will all be happening again in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The young boys thing? Because it's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Toddler melt downs?!?!
    You have got to be kidding....
    HA!!!!!!!!!!!
    Loved your post....sounded very much like what was happening over here amongst the joy and giggles.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.