Thursday, December 08, 2011

The Beginning

Writing the beginning story post below is like casting a net.  It keeps getting caught on so many rocks and shells and such. I have to research a zillion questions for these two people.  I have to research archaeology, opal mining, visas, Australia, and who knows what else!  So much for following the rule that you should write what you know.  I have the vague outline of a story that came in my sleep, and so, I had to capture it with this start.  The writing is OK, but not as image filled as I would like.  But, you either start writing while the idea is fresh or your wordsmith it into constipation while in gestation. I will work on this and see if it goes anywhere and be sure to let you know...if you want.

13 comments:

  1. So true. I have a character in my head who keeps doling out little vignettes but I have yet to figure out exactly where her story is going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now I have a mental image of the man and the dog but cannot picture Amelia other than to think of Amelia Earhart because of the name. Can't wait to get a description of her.

    Call on some Australian bloggers for some of you research.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do let us know. As for writing what you know, knowing helps but not knowing is glorious inspiration to get to know new things to be written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the start. I'm so simple minded and without imagination, that I have to have lived what I write about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yeah - i want more please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! I want! I want!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes, you most definitely have to take a leap of faith. Occasionally, you'll find yourself having jumped off of a cliff, but other times it can be very rewarding. I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course we want to know....!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to read all you want to put out here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very true. Do you do all the research first or start writing in your head? Or just research as and when the need arises?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Of course I want!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, of course I want, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, for me, I don't like too many descriptive details because it slows the flow and it's boring. I think what little you gave us in the start was enough for me to imagine what the man looks like, what the dog looks like and even though you didn't give a description of amelia, I have already formed an image in my mind. Do your research but don't get bogged down on too many details. Truth, yes! I think you are off to a spectacular start and it doesn't have to be wordy to be good. That's just my opinion. I know what I like and so far I like what you've written. If you keep it in that style of writing it will turn out very well and keep us all hooked.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.