Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Rains

What a bitter afternoon this has been.  After a fall of calm and moderate weather the winds have decided to howl and throw biting rain at my windows.  The young oak trees that have held on to the copper leaves now flutter them like mad brown butterflies revving jet engines before taking flight.  If I must be sick, there is nothing more comforting than lying in a cozy bed and watching the cold gray battle from inside.  The wind roars now and again with angry energy to remind me of its power.  The river and sky are both the same angry gray color.

The whole day has been dark gray with copper browns of attached and fallen leaves, and now it is blanketed in wetness adding charcoal shadows.  I think about those who had to go to work, as I once did.  Having to hurry down sidewalks and clutch at coats and scarves as if in some Sherlockian story hoping to make it safely home by the fire by days end.

I almost feel good enough to start a fire in the fireplace this evening.  I want to bide more idle time as I heal.  At least when one is retired, one does not worry about all that is left undone at the office.  I get to worry about several piles of laundry...big deal!

I will have to plan meals tomorrow.  I have had no appetite to speak of for days, just soup and cereal were all that I made, but the bear I am married to is getting better and seems to want real food.  He was going to venture out to shop, but I am sure when he wakes from his nap, the weather will put a figurative and literal damper on that plan.

In actuality the weather is somewhat exciting and I feel no guilt in staying prone to mark its course.

15 comments:

  1. I hope that you are both better by now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love weather like that (but only when everyone i love is safe indoors)! it's so interesting to be on the inside looking out at such a tempest! i do hope you're feeling a lot better very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I hope you both are well enough to enjoy the new year together. I'm so sorry about the bug. Yes, curl up with a book or movie and a fire in the fire place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have the coziest spot in the house. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also hope that you are both better by now. We had a lot of rain today and moderate winds that will hang around tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you have been feeling poorly and hope that you both are feeling better by now?!
    There is something peaceful about resting in a nice warm bed while the wind, rain and snow blow about outside.
    Soup and tea....both excellent for ailing tummies!!
    Take care
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whether one is sick or not, "there is nothing more comforting than lying in a cozy bed and watching the cold gray battle from inside."

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi, tabor! i hope you had a great christmas and i wish everyone will have more wrinkle-free memories in 2012 :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tabor, I am so sorry about the health. Sounds like my family and then I came down with something that lasted a week. Well enough to have wisdom tooth pulled yesterday. Our weather is strange
    hovering near 50's for the next few days. Need to do laundry and tomorrow load up at grocery.
    Hope you are feeling better...

    ReplyDelete
  10. we had a storm last night with driving rain and howling wind
    the rain has stopped but the wind is a whippin'

    feel better
    enjoy rest and the fire

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stay warm and heal. This is perfect soup and rolls weather. Simple but delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful description of the day. I hope you are feeling much better by now. It's no fun to be so sick when no one feels good enough to prepare food and keep up with the housework and laundry. But you are so right, when you are retired; it does make it easier to get through the day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can relate to all of this, especially the having time for healing. That is a big difference.

    May the recovery be complete very soo. Have a happy, peaceful and healthy N ew Year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We got some fairly strong winds last night around our neighborhood - gusts up to 50. Fun and scary at the same time (which is sometimes the best.)

    Happy New Year to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good that you're getting better. well enough to admire the force of nature raging outside your windows.

    Stay cosy and warm.

    Happy New Year, dear Tabor.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.