Wednesday, January 18, 2012

So WHAT Is It, Really?

A photo of a nearby shoreline tweaked with filters and tone and lighting manipulation.


Yes, in answer to some questions, the photo in the prior post was my lovely granddaughter.  I captured her in the middle of a hide and seek game where she was hiding under a ladder in a playground and her innocent childhood personality was revealed like shining silver in such a photo.  I tweaked it somewhat...making it more of a "work of art" than a snapshot and putting more light on her face.

Friko, one of my favorite bloggers and a real artist in her own right with her writing, commented on Downton Abbey, which both she and I like to watch.  She felt it was not really art because it did not make you think.  I am so glad she stimulated some discussion with this comment because her comment "made me think!"  She felt that the TV series lulled the viewer into a false sense of security.  I disagree because the change that war brings and the events that happen in this next season take away the security of constancy for all of the characters.  I also think that writing about this time in England with rose colored glasses instead of raw reality glasses is more enjoyable for viewers and those poor souls who think this is an accurate representation of the time may also think Picasso's horses reflect a reality.

I then went on a hunt to find definitions for art, because there are almost as many definitions and quotes as there are works of art and this will fill up the rest of this post nicely!  And if you are good and read to the end...that is where I put the funny one.

Without art, the crudeness of reality would make the world unbearable.  ~George Bernard Shaw

Art is not, as the metaphysicians say, the manifestation of some mysterious idea of beauty or God; it is not, as the aesthetical physiologists say, a game in which man lets off his excess of stored-up energy; it is not the expression of man's emotions by external signs; it is not the production of pleasing objects; and, above all, it is not pleasure; but it is a means of union among men, joining them together in the same feelings, and indispensable for the life and progress toward well-being of individuals and of humanity.  Leo Tolstoy.


 Art is the product or process of deliberately arranging items (often with symbolic significance) in a way that influences and affects one or more of the senses, emotions, and intellect. It encompasses a diverse range of human activities, creations, and modes of expression, including music, literature, film, photography, sculpture, and paintings. The meaning of art is explored in a branch of philosophy known as aesthetics, whereas disciplines such as anthropology, sociology and psychology analyze its relationship with humans and generations.  Wikipedia

Painting is just another way of keeping a diary.  ~Pablo Picasso 

Science is out of the reach of morals, for her eyes are fixed upon eternal truths.  Art is out of the reach of morals, for her eyes are fixed upon things beautiful and immortal and ever-changing.  To morals belong the lower and less intellectual spheres.  ~Oscar Wilde, The Critic as Artist, 1891

The aim of every artist is to arrest motion, which is life, by artificial means and hold it fixed so that a hundred years later, when a stranger looks at it, it moves again since it is life.  ~William Faulkner  (I particularly like this definition.)

We all know that Art is not truth.  Art is a lie that makes us realize truth, at least the truth that is given us to understand.  The artist must know the manner whereby to convince others of the truthfulness of his lies.  ~Pablo Picasso

And, of course, from my favorite cynic...I so glad she does not live next door as I would almost immediately quit blogging and taking photos:   

Very few people possess true artistic ability.  It is therefore both unseemly and unproductive to irritate the situation by making an effort.  If you have a burning, restless urge to write or paint, simply eat something sweet and the feeling will pass.  ~Fran Lebowitz

13 comments:

  1. This is my favorite: "We all know that Art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes us realize truth, at least the truth that is given us to understand. The artist must know the manner whereby to convince others of the truthfulness of his lies. ~Pablo Picasso"

    I am also glad that Fran Lebowitz does not live next door to me - I'd write far less! She herself must not have given in to the urge to eat something sweet. I found this quote from her: "I just always think I’m right. I still think I’m right. “Think” is not the right word. I firmly believe this. The older I get, the more I believe this, because it’s true."

    Your granddaughter herself is a study in beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have said that art is interpreting life in a way that takes you to its essential self not the bare facts of its parts. Craft is what enables one to do that (short of those geniuses who use craft wisely without knowing even what they do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last quote speaks to me. I think it pretty well describes me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still laughing at that last one. If I don't do some form of art, and the first quotation of Picasso's fits my work best, I'm not complete. Art is truth....the artists.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful image, great bright colors, good composition! Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the reasons that I love art is precisely for the fact that it is so difficult to define.

    As for Downton Abbey, I enjoy it partially because of the time period in which it is set (the changing times of WWI), but also because of the total blast of fun that the art and costume directors have with the setting. The dresses! The hats! The cars and buses! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also liked Picasso's first quote and the last one by Fran Lebowitz. I loved the colors in your photo....tweeked or not...

    ReplyDelete
  8. And the feeling would pass...Ha Loved that
    If it were that simple
    Ha
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  9. To define "art", in any way, is amazingly elitist and excluding. Art is, above all else, subjective. One man's art is another man's garbage. People can argue all they want about what does or does not constitute art, but it comes down to one thing, and one thing only. If you like it, it's art, no matter what anyone else says.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful photo! And great quotes about art! I just realized that I've been following your other blog but not this one and missing out some of the best! By the way, you asked about how I keep track of photos in your comment - I could blog about it - hmmm. Maybe I will. But it seems boring. I'd email your but don't have your email address. Mine is on my profile - riverwatcher11@yahoo.com -- if you don't want to wait for a boring blog on filing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still say, with great emphasis, that Downton Abbey is enjoyably soporific entertainment rather than art.

    I am with Fran Lebowitz all the way.
    For instance, we here in blogland produce an awful lot of poetry, essays, photography, visual art, etc. Many of us have a vastly inflated idea of the quality of what we produce and if we didn't have this easy medium our pathetic efforts would never see the light of day.

    Thank you for being kind to me, but my pitiful attempts at writing do not make me an artist.

    It's fun, almost an obsession now, but not art.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am starting to catch up and am glad I was able to see your beautiful granddaughter. She is a lovely child and will be a stunning woman.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with Suldog's take on art. There are many artistic pieces (paintings, music, writing) that I just don't get and many lesser-known pieces that speak to me. But then again, what do I know about determining what art is? Nada. I do know that Fran Lebowitz has HUGE talent, and seemingly, an ego to match.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.