Sunday, January 22, 2012

Watching Paint Dry




My recent weekend consisted of bringing home paint chips from the hardware store, putting them against the wall of my master bedroom and agaisnt the oriental rug on the floor, deciding on a hue, purchasing a gallon of the best quality paint they had and painting the bedroom.  (Cannot get in to see the ankle Doc for another week...so ankle be damned...and it was.)

My house is five years old.  It has settled somewhat on the bedroom side.  There is a slight chance it would settle further down into the ravine...but I am optimistic that won't happen while I live here.  But settling does create hair-line cracks around window frames and doors, and last year, my husband, who became frustrated with my putting off the painting project, proceeded to patch the cracks with Spackle.  Then he went to the basement to get the then 4-year-old paint that we had used when the bedroom was initially painted and covered all those nice white patches he had created.  The paint had changed, of course.  It looked like he had painted over with a color that resembled old poo instead of soft mushroom.   We lived with that ugliness for a year and finally this past week went through the process I described above.

We guessed that painting the bedroom would take about 4 hours.  Ha!  The bedroom has 6 windows, three doors, AND most significantly a tray ceiling.  The painting took almost seven hours and I am not counting the day before when we moved furniture, covered what we could not move, rallied the various painting tools that we had left from our prior life of painting various rooms in homes, removed electrical and phone plates, and taped every single piece of wood framing with that blue stuff.  That prep wore us out and we retreated to the living room for dinner and movie.

The next morning fresh and energetic we began what is referred to in painting circles as 'cutting in.'  It was a cloudy day making it very hard to tell what we painted and what we didn't since the old hue and the new hue were pretty close in color.  I am also old, and do not see as well as I used to.  But the most significant issue with this project is that this new paint would dry to touch within a minute making it so much harder so see where I painted and where I had left off in the gray shadows from the window.  The only clue was that I had purchased a slightly shinier finish of paint this time and if one stood at an angle to the wall, one could see the difference.  Thus we painted, and then re-painted, and ate dinner and then went back in and touched up a few more places as the lamp light revealed a few more areas of incomplete coverage.

Finally we felt we had finished, cleared the room, washed the brushes, put everything away and fell exhausted and with stiff joints into bed.  The next morning as I sat in bed greeting the new day (you KNOW what I am going to write here) I saw two more small areas at the base of the side wall that needed touch up!  Fast drying paint is not all it is cracked up to be.

15 comments:

  1. As we get older, painting seems to take longer. I remember when my husband could paint a room and go until he was done. Now he avoids painting all together. Hope you love the new color (you should, if it is basically what you already had.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, those are called holidays by the pros. I have a couple in my stairway....small ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is an advantage in not seeing as well as one used to, I think.

    And I really like that picture of the corner of your room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fought cracks for 30 years in our house in Texas. It's nice not to see those pesky cracks in Oregon. I'd love to have fresh paint where we are now but it won't happen if we have to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good as we try to be around the house taking on the endless projects, painting is something we just leave to the professionals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My home now 2 1/2 years old.
    Everything fine so far except I do not like the caulking that is shrinking in some areas.
    I know your painting project looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The prep work for painting a room is what gets me. But I like painting & think that it's the quickest way to give a room new life. No fun being stiff and sore though; take care of that ankle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear!! Sounds like a painting nightmare!!
    There is something to be said for changing the color completely!!
    Glad you are finished...at least I hope so
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you cover up the area with furniture? LOL! That is what I would do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't that one of Murphy's Laws - a thing always takes at least twice as long as you think it's going to? Looks lovely, though. The entire cottage is due for paint this year inside and out. Are you hiring out?

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so beautiful. But I am exhausted just listening to the project unfold to completion (rather in-completion). We have at least fifty projects to complete in our home and that times at least 7 days per project...well, I think I'll go back to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A well told snippet of life that we all can relate to. Most of my walls need painting badly! I don't know if I can face it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh My---sounds like a huge job to me. We probably need to paint some of our walls (painted them in 2003)---but since they still look okay, I'm sure we won't do it anytime soon.

    The problem with any type of home maintenance is that it never ends. We ALWAYS see other things which need to be done...

    Good Luck!!!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well darn. It sure is a pretty room though. I dislike painting but my place is long overdue.

    PS Instead of "place," I originally typed "face." Freudian, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Blimey, you are a busy bee! I leave painting to the professio als and if I can't afford, the job doesn't get done. Which it hasn't, for about ten years now.

    btw, I really dislike the picture of the naked woman on the bed of whatever now. I am a feminist, for heaven's sake. I applaud your comment.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.