Thursday, May 17, 2012

City Life Part II

My trip to the city was paid for by my daughter. For those who wondered where I stayed, it was at the Marriott in Mid-town and my daughter used her many points to pay for the overnight bill. My daughter figures that we walked an average of 20 blocks each day...but I think it must have been more. My ankle did not give me pain although my daughter showed due concern. My issue was just the old joints and muscles that reminded me I must slow down. Actually, if I kept walking I was fine.  Once we sat for an extensive time to rest on a Central Park bench both on the Saturday and the Sunday, moving again was a real challenge. Those of you who are my age realize how your joints fill with lactic acid when you have moved extensively and then refuse to move smoothly after extensive rest until you have forced the walk for another 10 minutes through the stiffness and pain and finally you return to the normal walking mode.


We paid for taxies as the day progressed and the deadines to be somewhere else were closing in on us, and these came to an average of about $8.00 each time.

The very first visit we made was to the Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art because I have been to N.Y. City only twice and never to this museum.  Most of my relatives are not into museums and I have given in to their interests on prior trips.  But Mother's Day was mine!  We saw only a tiny part of this HUGE museum.  We saw the Egyptian special exhibit which was not nearly as romantic or exotic or dusty as when I wandered the museum in Cairo many years ago.   But it was very informative.





Then we visited the Dutch gallery, saw some Vermeer, and of course, Rembrandt.  Then a short walk to see the Degas collection.  With over two million works housed here there were so many artists we missed, but we had the audio and those paintings that we actually studied were rich in audio description.  For lunch we ate at the museum 'wine bar" and had just a salad and wine. The waiting area was filled with shadows and light and created a feeling of magic as if stepping back in time.



We waited in the lunch line next to an elderly woman who was alone and nicely dressed.  We got to talking and she explained that she lived near the museum and came often.  When I perused the entire collection in the brochure I realized she could come every day for years and years and never really catch up.  She must have had lots of money because living off of Central Park is not for the middle class and for a brief time I was envious.

After lunch, my daughter wanted to peruse the flea market at Hell's Kitchen and this was certainly a dramatic change from the atmosphere at the Met.  It was like going from the Palace to the market place in a medieval city.  She likes to look at antique costume jewelry.  There was lots in the way of junky treasures sitting on folding tables under plastic tents, and even those old pieces that were most intersting could be priced over a hundred dollars unless you were a good bargainer.  We looked at clothing, purses, hats, kitchen ware, lamps, 'antique' books, and junk without definition.  I thought about those men and women who sat each day selling this stuff and wondered if, indeed, it supplemented their disability or social security income.  I also thought about the many prior owners of all of this stuff.  Had they passed on and their relatives sold this stuff or did they sell it because they needed the money?  Or was this stuff found in dumpsters along the streets of New York?  We did not buy anything.



This flea market was in sharp contrast to the antique store on 5th Avenue that we had walked through.  Every piece in the antique store was thousands of dollars even though it was at a marked down price because of the store's closing.  I looked at the jewelry and mused (out loud) about what had occurred to force the owners to sell their diamonds and emeralds and rubies and works of art.  The nephew (mentioned in the prior post) chuckled and told me not to be concerned.  Most of these people were trading up for larger pieces of jewelry he said.  I keep forgetting about the 1%.  I am so out of orbit with these folks!

We ate that evening at A Voce – the Columbia location, a new Italian restaurant that had a write up in our hotel's brochure as one of the top ten new restaurants in the area.  We were impressed because there are hundreds of high end restaurants in the area to write about.  Alas, I was disappointed in the food.  Al dente was too chewy and nothing was exceptional in my estimation, other than an exceptional 'by the glass' wine list.  Neither of us finished our expensive meals, but I did not complain as this was my treat from daughter.

Sunday's activities in the next post...so you can skip this blog for a while if following someone's boring travel is not to your tastes.



16 comments:

  1. gigi-hawaii10:43 AM

    Kudos to you! I definitely could not have walked all those blocks. Just walking one block is enough to kill me. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to see the city through the eyes of the tourist... you've been places I've never been! A native New Yorker presently just 45 minutes out, I need to learn to appreciate my surrounds more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing about people's travels, so I will not be missing out on your posts.

    When my husband and I were there we ate at an italian restaraunt in Little Italy and it was an older smaller place, with tables outside and the food was really great. I wish I could recall the name of the place. Oh well, it's a reminder to start documenting these things in my camera and in notepad so that I can remember, just in case I want to return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. boring? Are you kidding? I am so jealous: the Met plus a flea market...swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What astonished me is how warm and springlike it looked there. I was in NYC a few years ago in May and I froze.
    Weather makes such a difference in how one experiences a place, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great trip. I love the Met and I could spend weeks/months there, especially in the Temple of Dendur and the rest of the Egyptian wing.

    I never get to do everything I want when we are in NYC - I envy you that!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. REally loving your travels. No, I won't skip a thing. Yes, I do undestand about getting moving again. I'm going to do washington in one of those electric chairs or I won't live. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you didn't complain to the waitress about your food. I once sat next to a woman in a NY deli who complained about her dessert and the waitress ripped into her for eating half of it and then complaining. That was a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. it is indeed a nice trip there with your daughter bringing you to the city :)

    Latest: Romantic Affair with Mummy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Talk about two different words...I would have loved the flea market over the museum. Yikes! Glad you and I have the love of nature and the wonder of birds in common:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice trip for you and your daughter. I have only been to NYC once --and you are right: it is a different world. I'm too much of a country/mountain gal to enjoy 'much' of any city.. BUT-I know that seeing the museum had to have been great... So glad you got to go.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like so much fun, especially the museum part but a long way from Floyd and nearby wineries. I was there vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The flea market must attract anyone, because the photos of this sort are courageous, nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it's grand to get away from the backwoods for a bit of big city and culture!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful time you and your daughter had! Your posting reminds me of my mother's day about 10 years ago when my daughter lived in NYC, such a melting pot.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.