Monday, May 14, 2012

Decompression

I find it more noticeable the changes in feelings that I have when returning home from a very different place than I am used to.  I no longer adjust with slippery ease.  New York City (and the mid-town Manhattan area where I stayed) is a totally different planet than that in my woods where I live. The rigid buildings standing high and imposing block all but a few hours of sunshine.  When you think about all the people and all the activities taking place just above your head it is very imposing.  Cars and taxis are moving to "important" places constantly.  I also saw my share of stretch limos and a Rolls Royce or two...probably paid for in some strategic way by my tax payments!  I think the magic of this place is the compression of all of humanity in one place...rich, poor, lucky, unlucky, smart, not-so-smart, old and young.


Some streets are so full of tourists (everyone else is in in their offices working hard paying for the high rent on the closet where they live) that you can barely pass.  We all seem to adjust as we cross streets, avoid hot coffee and limp cigarettes.  I saw Park Avenue matrons in spring suits walking tiny whippet dogs.  I saw a transvestite or two.  Various gay guys dressed so carefully casual.  Lots of families with strollers.  Mothers and sons and daughters carrying bouquets and lost in the love of their mom on Mother's Day.  The young man below was delivering Mother's Day bouquets to women who lived overlooking Central Park!


I saw many people from other countries speaking in languages I did not recognize and wearing clothing styles that were clearly European.  I saw a few women in Burkas and a few nuns in traditional dress.  I also viewed several wealthy Asians enjoying their money spending vacation.  Many typical New Yorkers of every ethnicity working the streets, the cabs, the hotel lobbies, the storefronts with resigned looks on their faces accepting another day, and a few college age couples enjoying spring.  People watching is the best past time in New York.  Every human phenom on the planet is there.  I did not see any celebrities but I am sure some ran past me in sweaty exercise gear.  My daughter and I sat for a few hours on a Central Park bench resting my weary feet and I was fascinated!  As we people-watched we visited with a new grandfather who was touring with his daughter and her new born grandchild from Boston...the conversation was interspersed with that musical accent that Bostonian' s have.






I soon learned that you cannot walk more than two blocks before you encounter either building, sidewalk, or street construction.  This city is used to pieces!  But I did find that all the locals whether waiting on me or standing in line waiting with me were extremely polite and helpful.  I did not get the finger once, although I did have to be aggressive with a taxi that wanted to drive where I was walking once!! "Hey, I am walking here!"

We shopped an antique store that was closing due to retirement of the owner.  I talked to his nephew (my age) who explained his uncle was 88 and retiring to his horse ranch in Ocala, Florida next door to John Travolta.  It appears they share an airplane runway!  I hope he lives a long time.

A few places including one on the famous 5th Avenue were empty and looking for tenants.


I cannot even begin to think how expensive the rental on this retail space would be...but as the ad tells you...YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT.  And in New York, if you have to ask...you cannot afford it.  More next post.

16 comments:

  1. Interesting to read your take on THE City and see the photos. The few times I've visited NYC I found myself unable to breathe properly. Too many buildings, too many people, too much noise. I haven't been in years and guess I won't be going back anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in a large city (Montreal) and live in the suburbs now. We hope to find a place to live in a quiet spot on a lake in the not too distant future. I've been to NY a few times and love the hustle, bustle and photo ops. But I don't think I could ever live in a large city again. A great place to visit.. and a great place to be from. Just not to live.

    Great photos.. looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love visiting New York because of all the excitement and energy. But I don't know if I could handle it twenty-four seven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been to NYC once and when my husband and I first arrived, it was quite overwhelming. The buildings are just so tall and intimidating but it was much cleaner than I had imagined and I really loved the hustle and bustle of the people coming and going. Your pictures are great and I can't wait to see more and hear more about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:43 AM

    And to think I lived in the upper west side for 5-1/2 years! Too long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to love a visit to NYC. Now, your pictures are quite enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find it difficult to bridge the gap between crowds and forests, between 'scrapers and trees, as well. And while I find great energy and interest within cityscapes, I couldn't live in one. I need to see sky. Thanks for sharing your trip, I've never been to NYC, but would like to experience it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing. My two granddaughter's live in N.Y.
    Yes, in high priced closets...
    Neither one want to return to this area.
    They love it !!!
    Do not think I could take all the commotion and fast way of life after living in the woods for 2 /12 years.
    Bet you are glad to be HOME..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I lived there for a long time. I think that my two favorite times were when I discovered Brentano's bookstore and when I encountered a Santa Swarm.

    I still love those nasty street vendor hot dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you haven't yet, take the cruise around Manhattan. The whole place looks toylike from the water.
    Most of my experience of NYC was in the early 70's, when it was gritty and dangerous.
    Now it's crowded to the max but pretty tame. Like so many places these days. And this in spite of the horror of 9-11!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a wonderful post about a city I have never been to but would like to experience at least once. Your impressions and photos give me a real feel for what it is like. Thank you for your personal presentation and look forward to more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never hung out on the streets of New York, but used to go to Boston alot. I really don't like crowds of people if I can avoid them these days-

    I stay very anonymous about my family on ESR, but here I'll admit the 2 top pics were my great-nephews, n the 4 in the 3rd are my grandsons in the last post-

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love New York. The energy. All the people. Wanted to live there when I was young. Now, I'm not so sure, but certainly enjoy visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am awaiting the invention of a portable protective bubble. My life inside and outside my own environment has been perilous. For me to go to New York I would have to feel totally safe to stroll the streets and visit Central Park. How many benches do they have in Central park anyway? I would have to sit down often unless my protective bubble also had a chair.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Did you do the subway or elevated? Personally, I think that's the best place to people watch of them all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you two had a good visit despite the crush. :)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.