Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Procrastination



This is such a repetitive theme with my blog that I should start a separate blog devoted totally to how creative or stubborn I can become in putting things off.  (Yes, I know I ended that sentence with a preposition.)  Many of these tasks are so easy, I just do not understand why I set them aside until they create sour thoughts when I look at my lists and they continue to sit at the top of a long list with nary a line through them.  Yes, I am a list maker, but that does not mean I regularly accomplish all on my list.  Some of the items I put on the list because I am a masochist, surely.

Cleaning the house items get ticked off cleanly and rapidly.  Bill paying, gardening chores, shopping items are all routinely completed.  BUT, answering invitations (those rare items) to weddings, graduations, and dinners get put off until the very last minute whether I am saying yes or no.  What is up with that?  Why do I find these so hard to complete?

Returning phone calls get postponed over returning emails and FB comments every time.

AND, of course, anything to do with exercise can be postponed until hell freezes over if my lack of guilt allows.  I have gone through periods of regular exercise activities...free weights, elliptical walking, aerobics tapes (Just the fact that I use the word tapes gives you a clue to how long ago I did that!) and yoga.  I felt so good after doing these each and every time.  But this period is easily interrupted by a trip, house guests, and most recently my ankle injury.  I still do lots of woods walking, but that is the exercise of last resort.  That is the exercise that people brag about...and it really is not exercise.  Admit it.  Do you work up a sweat?  Do you have sore muscles that need to be stretched at the end?  See, it is not exercise.  It is what we do...just like eating.


I still have a stiff ankle now and again and I readily use this as an excuse, a weak excuse, to avoid exercise.  I was going to start an exercise routine May 1.  I promised myself.  But then one day it rained and the next day the sun was shining.  OMG it is May 22 already!  Yesterday I ran after two rabbits that were in my flower bed and was shocked to find how strange and stiff running felt!

I absolutely must get off this pillow of fat on which I sit...after my second cup of coffee.

18 comments:

  1. Did you write this post or did I?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think of yourself a "differently prioritized."

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're probably pushing yourself too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say "ditto" to Linda's comment. You've got me pegged as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:04 PM

    You have been reading my To Do Lists

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto! I have couch potato syndrome lately. I have no motivation to do anything and I procrastinate at everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I stay busy
    This time of year so much to do outside and I never catch up.
    Do try every morning to do some yoga stretches and do a lot in the yard, garden and woods.
    So somewhere aroung 2:00 I am very tired. So must be doing a lot and have not picked up a bood in months. Reading would make me sit down. Guess I am not a couch potato.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that was too funny!

    After reading your other blog, the post about bird watching, I give you a pass. I'll take a day of walking and enjoying nature any time over answering the phone, etc.

    But yes, people may begin to "unfriend" us if we don't begin to answer those wedding and party invitations in a timely manner.

    At least you're paying the bills!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I do understand. Now my email piles up while I write an essay about forts. You never know what's going to happen. At least you are watching birds. Hugs at ya....

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...or you could say to yourself what the designer Karl Lagerfeld said in an interview, "I don't have to exercise now because I did it when I was younger."

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL on the procrastination. I am guilty.

    Beautiful color choice of the rose. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mother refused to make lists when she was overwhelmed with things to do. I could never understand that. She said it was just one more thing "to do" and she was having enough trouble getting other stuff done. I may have been switched at birth.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought that putting things on lists meant that they were practically done and dusted. Is that not so?

    Beloved certainly has always adhered to the idea and I've come to it quite happily myself now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi There, OH-how I understand... I've struggled with my weight all of my adult life. AND--I've lost weight MANY times during the years.. BUT--I always manage to put it back on. I KNEW all of this time that exercise would help.. YET---I procrastinated... Now--I've lost the weight again, and am really trying hard not to gain it back this time... I am exercising --and doing okay with it for NOW.... I hope and pray that I keep this 'better' attitude!!!! Good Luck to you..
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are going to look like me if you don't. LOL

    You already have a topic: Birds. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The trouble is that I am getting better at chilling out....

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is both fortunate n unfortunate That I work up a sweat at work every single night- because it's vigorous physical labor -
    The job is to hurry n pick up food before it falls off the end of the machine conveyor, then rack the heavy metal screens of the appropriate amounts, then move huge, metal racks to the proper location for the next step of preparation or distribution.
    I get paid to stay in shape, but eat too much of the carby foods to lose weight!
    I like to run to the Truck to sit down for break to save time, n loosen up my back.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.