Thursday, June 14, 2012

Thursday Thoughts #37 Everything I Need to Know I Learned in My Garden---Thursday 13 Thoughts # 36



  1. I learned to accept differing points of view but to learn for myself by testing.  One man's weed is another man's treasured landscape plant.  I have purchased beautiful landscape plants from nurseries only to discover that they spread or re-seed like wildfire and then leave my yard to invade the rest of the woods.  On the other hand I have learned that one man's treasured landscape plant sometimes becomes a Prima Donna in my yard requiring too much attention.
  2. I have learned to think outside the flower bed and to compromise.  Do I want butterflies or parsley?  If I plant a lot of parsley there will be some left over and then I can have both.  (Now if I can only teach that ground hog how to compromise!)
  3. I have re-learned each day that change is inevitable and we all must adapt.  Some plants die, some plants are eaten to the ground and some plants get too large.  Perennial gardens are replete with changes.  Every season requires digging, moving and replacing.
  4. Target your enemies so that there is minimal collateral damage.  Picking off a few or spraying very specifically for the many insects such as Japanese Beetles while carefully avoiding all other insects means less harm to those birds that are also eating the insects in my garden and less harm to those insects that are beneficial to my garden.

  5. I have learned patience.  Plants take a long time to bring forth their reproductive beauty and instantaneous results are only for those who buy annuals in large flats.
  6. Keep your place, you are not a miracle worker.  While the intermittently large plant in the foreground adds interest, planting most tall plants in the background allows everyone to show off as is the same with people.  Also, as a gardener, you need to step back once in a while and let s**t happen without beating yourself up over it.  (The voles had a vacation in my dianthus bed this spring and the rabbits have eaten 90% of my zinnias I nurtured so carefully from seed.)


  7. Gardening is common ground.  Gardeners are wonderful people and can garden side by side even when on opposite sides of the political spectrum.  Disagreements almost always lead to compromise or changes in activity.
  8. Gardening is the only reality show that I like and watch each year.  It can cost money but if you are smart and buy from local garden club plant sales and get freebies from friends, you are more likely to get better and tested plants more cheaply.
  9. I have learned that fear paralyzes intelligent action.  Anger has to be provoked and many dangers are not as they seem or as you have been told.  Bumble bees and honey bees and all pollinators are so busy eating that they do not have time to sting unless you step on them or sit on them.  I can reach in and cut all the flowers I want as the bees dance around my arms.  This lesson has broader applications in life.


  10. Deciding where to start and how to start your projects are the most important preparations you can make.  Foundation is everything.  You have to know where the sun hits your yard and when and for how long.  You have to know the soil as if it was the back of your hand.  You have to amend this soil because it is the first and last meal for your plants and no soil is perfect.
  11. Opinions on style and design don't really matter.  Mother nature can pull together pink and orange and it looks perfect.  Mother nature can pull together large and small, smooth and prickly, and it always seems to fit.



  12. Sharing is the richness in life.  If you are lucky to have something to share, be sure and do so.  Pay back is the smile on their face and the bond you have made.  Share your garden knowledge with your grandchildren, share your produce with your neighbors or the local food pantry, share your plants with new gardeners, share your time with Mother Nature.




  13. And the most important lesson I have learned is to enjoy myself.  If I feel it is hard work, then I am doing something wrong.  Work should be a little refreshing, shouldn't it?  Maybe I just need a smaller garden.  Yes, mistakes happen. The best thing about gardening is that there is always a do-over next year.

18 comments:

  1. I love the do=overs!! Ha!
    Sage wisdom indeed...thank you for the reminders that "work" should have a fun element in it or why do it?
    Hugs
    SUeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lessons learned...a very philosophical approach. I admire that. Although, obviously, I myself prefer the rant and rave method.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love #12 and the images of those precious little ones...
    Can relate to all shared.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twin City Joan10:44 AM

    Your pictures are terrific. The iris is stunning. I have never seen one with that combination of colors. I don't recognize the one beneath it but the combo there is great. Seems like a lot of the brighter colored ones like warm weather because they would not survive in my zone 3 garden. Oh well, I love my faithful flowers too. We had such early warming this year I was unable to get my usual nematodes for the iris in time so will probably lose several. Fortunately, it is the year to divide and replant. Also may have some to give to others. I agree with all you have said. Especially the one about native plants taking over. I have had the same experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a gardener but I do enjoy looking at beautiful flowers. Your photos are wonderful and make me feel like I'm breathing fresh air, which is nice since I can't be outside today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So well put! Yes, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, yes, and yes....which is why I don't garden any more. I even have two paintings of me gardening. I grin at that hardy geranium that insists on living on on my deck along with succulents that I forget to water. But I flat out love this entry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful photos. Is that a watermelon plant?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a top notch post!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful piece, and tremendously valuable lessons. I keep trying to grow things, but it's hit or miss. I don't have a "garden" per se, but I have a grapefruit tree I grew from a seed in my breakfast a year ago, a poinsettia I received as a Christmas gift two years ago, some ferns that have hung on for over 20 years now, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, Yes and Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. For Hattie...yes, that was last years volunteer watermelon and this year the ground is insuring that another volunteer just produces leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm reading this with dirt under my fingernails. I've learned from gardening that I don't have ultimate control over what happens. AND I LOVE sharing the garden with my grandsons. They were our hired help last weekend. Bryce's eyes got wide when he was a large head of broccoli!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have learned a lot from your garden and how gracious of you to share what you've picked up. :)

    Your thoughts are always pearls of wisdom Tabor, and definitely worth my read. You're wonderful!

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have learned a lot from your garden and how gracious of you to share what you've picked up. :)

    Your thoughts are always pearls of wisdom Tabor, and definitely worth my read. You're wonderful!

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was wonderful! I feel that we are gardening side by side even though you're way over there and I'm way over here. This would make a great little publication to sell in a gardening store!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another fantastic list I really enjoyed readin! Great butterfly n worm pics!
    I didn't get to half my old containers this year (my whole garden is containers on the deck-) but I let some grass for Mischief n some of the wild spreaders (Cockscomb, Asters) take over those ones. I find what decides to come up from previous years plantings always startles me. This year I got some beatiful Violas n Shasta Daisies that never came up when planted years ago!
    I keep trying ancient seeds...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not a gardener but I appreciated your words about gardening and life!! Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.