Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Money, Money, Money

Father's Day shone forth a clean light on my son's immediate future plans.  While we knew he was serious about this sweet woman he was dating, as parents we carefully kept the conversations to the general and casual.  He now admits that he is saving for a ring and will probably propose sometime this fall and wedding plans are most likely to occur around the 4th of July in the year ahead.  While it is a relief that he now discusses these important events so openly with us, I am now realizing I have to plan a budget as I was going to replace my car this winter.


For my daughter's wedding (which was a somewhat elaborate affair) we contributed 1/3, the in-laws 1/3 and the married couple themselves 1/3 of the cost.  My daughter's in-laws are New Jersey people and while reality television tends to overdo the colorful culture there, big weddings are a necessity it appears.  Some seemed to feel that the wedding won't hold unless there is a large crowd in a fancy hotel dancing the night away.  Therefore, her wedding was held in a fancy catholic church in Washington, DC (neither hubby nor I are Catholic) and the evening reception was held in a ballroom of one of the largest hotels in Washington, DC.  Hubby and I held the line to the lower end of the 5-figure amount which we donated, as we are much more practical and just couldn't give more without acid indigestion for a one-day ceremony.  My daughter attended another wedding that summer in New York City where the budget for the flowers alone was $50,000!  I guess it is all a matter of perspective and values and disposable income.  At that wedding, with flowers everywhere, I understand both sets of parents of the bride and groom were barely speaking to each other and the priest almost had to perform some kind of intervention.  He actually lectured both parents (in a polite way) at part of the ceremony!  Yeah, there is some satisfaction in the rich being so dysfunctional.

Maybe we were just out of touch and each generation is less conservative than the prior.  Lord knows my wedding cost less than $1,000...food, flowers, dress and all.  But I was a poor graduate student and my parents did not offer to help when I told them I was engaged.  Perhaps because I didn't want to spend what little money I had on flying home from Hawaii for a home wedding since most of my (our) friends were there at school and our first jobs were taking us even further out into the South Pacific.  Although I must admit that both of us were surprised when neither of our parents felt they could spend the time or money to attend!  Yeah this IS a tragic story of the strange ways depression era old folks lose sight of what is important, but we survived and still talked to them after we got hitched and our marriage survived without a ballroom and is now 42 years old.  Years ago my sister and her husband eloped to Vegas...so  much for ceremony there.  Yes, they are still married and could actually have afforded a huge wedding as they are both attorneys.

Anyway, I told my son we would give him the same amount of money that we gave my daughter and he could use it any way that he wished toward the wedding, honeymoon, or savings for a larger house someday.  Perhaps we should add an inflation adjustment to that?  I try to be fair, but in all honesty my daughter and her husband make lots of money while my son and his future wife do not and I tend to be more sympathetic to that.

Hubby and I are comfortable in our retirement and we can be reasonably generous, so with great thankfulness we appreciate our situation.  But I also know that money can be a poisonous thing whether you have it or not.

19 comments:

  1. I am amazed at the amount of money spent on this event, also.

    It is spiralling out of control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations. The new value system has totally passed us by. We are comfortable, our needs are simple, our lifestyle purposely arranged to fulfill retirement expectations. Posh weddings are gorgeous. Simple weddings are gorgeous. I love weddings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...for the flowers????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your last line is so true. I find it rather vile when excessive amounts of money are spent on single day events. I think it takes an inflated ego to spend the kind of money your daughter referred to in the wedding she attended. To me, the beauty of the event is buried and lost under dollar signs. Materialistic matrimony.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MOney certainly can poison a relationship. Giving or not giving, giving 'enough', not giving 'enough', the whole thing is a minefield.

    Many young people have been given an expensive education, the rest is up to them.

    Here n the UK, the parents of the bride usually pay for the wedding, if anyone pays. I'm not really certain about that, perhaps that's just old-fashioned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best wishes for all that will be developing.
    No big weddings so far in this family. I married at the alter of a local church. Two daughter's had beautiful wedding but at a fraction of the sum you are talking about.
    I live so simply at this time of my life and in a way out of touch with what is important to some materially. Do not see this happening in my family except maybe family in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Friko, et al. The payment of weddings is traditionally done by the bride's family here in the U.S., but if the other side insists and convinces the bride they want to give, then it becomes a more modern proposition. If the kids want an expensive wedding (and they are my kids)then they better come up with some money as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first fight Mrs. C and I had after I proposed came when her father offered us a choice: either a big wedding at their club or he'd write us a check for five thousand bucks and we could elope. I chose the money. Wrong answer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your thinking. We give a little money once in a while to our son. It's not that he asks for it and he is a very good money manager, but it makes us feel good to be able to treat them to a little extra money now and then. We know he will not spend it foolishly. In a way it's more about us than him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Weddings have become ridiculously expensive. I think it's obscene to spend 50,000 on flowers.

    I bet your son's wedding will be a wonderful warm affair at a small fraction of that.

    ummm...I take it your future DIL doesn't read this blog? Because the cat is out of the proverbial bag now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The money spent on weddings has gotten entirely out of hand. It's as though it were some kind of competition. I am frankly turned off by expensive weddings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was privileged to attend a "perfect wedding". My marriage to Ron. We were there, the minister was there and witnesses who were strangers. We looked into each others eyes and were able to celebrate the meaning of this ceremony and the important vows we took. What more was necessary? We walked away equally united in Holy matrimony as the persons who spent thousands of dollars for the same outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My daughter paid for a lot of her own wedding. I dislike the lavish affairs with the meringue wedding dress, the flowers, the meal in a fancy hotel, the phoney speeches and the hats. She's already divorced.

    My son and his bride borrowed a lot of money for their lavish wedding, her parents had little money.

    I gave both of them a cheque afterwards towards married life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Money was used as a tool in much of my life before my mother died. Now days, I use bits of it to make our lives comfortable and give a little to daughter attending college. The other kid is doing life her way and I cannot, in clear conciousness donate to that.

    Marriage #1: Fancy church marriage in Bruton Parish church and reception in Williamsburg hotel. Lasted 10 years.

    Marriage #2: In our front room with beautiful flowers done by youngest daughter, and new clothes our biggest expense. Great crowds to a potluck lunch. Lasted 29 years and still going.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How wonderful he found someone to love, and how kind of you to donate. Selfishly, your wonderful entry turned my thinking to me instead of the wonderful happenings for your son.

    What kind of new car are you looking for?

    ReplyDelete
  16. The demands are unfortunately very high and are getting higher. Today's generations are unlikely to be able to think campaign about legal issues, as it was 50 years ago. But we ourselves, the society we are to blame for the consumption of such events, because no one is even forced. But it also uses to fight anyone, when it comes to the welfare of their children is, well, who wants, who can say no...

    Best wishes
    CL

    ReplyDelete
  17. My daughter had a simple, but lovely wedding. She and her groom paid for it mostly but I did the flowers. My sone shows no signs of having a wedding of any sort. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I got married at a Justice of the Peace,wore a blue suit that I already had and we had our reception at the community building of the apt. complex we were moving into. and it has lasted over 47 years so far. I think letting your son know what you can contribute is wonderful....he can then decide how to spend the money.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My parents did not contribute to my first wedding (very simple). I never could ask them for anything and my husband's parents couldn't understand it.

    My youngest son's wedding was traditional and small in comparison to the ones you mention. After it my eldest son told me the only expense he'd have at his wedding was a keg and that I wouldn't even have to wear shoes! (I think he was exaggerating.)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.