Sunday, July 22, 2012

Random One-Liners

Some comments (in no order as my granddaughter is talking to me industriously while I type) on the trip and also in answer to a few questions:

  • No we did not take in the play on PEI as Hubbie wasn't into that so much but I bought the Anne trilogy and am going to re-read it.
  • The natural area where the author grew up on PEI was small and surrounded by a golf course, which sort of took away some of the atmosphere.
  • I was also a "little" disappointed at how much potato, wheat and barley agriculture covered all of the island and how little natural park area was left.
  • On the other hand, PEI has lots of nice beaches and lighthouses!
  • The bear sign was both a warning and temptation on the bog walk in Maine and we used it that way.
  • We did see a lynx on the ski trail while walking down after riding the ski lift up in New Hampshire and it did not see us.
  • We also drove by the lake where "On Golden Pond" was filmed, and it was no more lovely than all the other New Hampshire lakes.
  • We did not take the zipline down from the mountain at the ski resort which was long and very fast and kind of ominous in its whine.
  • I also saw a large red fox checking out the playground of children one morning outside our hotel in Maine.
  • I did not see any moose, unfortunately.
  • I used to not like lobster but this trip I could not get enough and due to the warm summer there was an abundance.
  • We were a little sad that it was NOT much cooler as we drove north, and global warming was showing its teeth.

16 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying your vignettes from your trip. Hope there's more to come in your pipeline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynx wow, I'd love to see one. Have seen a red fox twice lately and heard of several bear sightings. It's blackberry season, bears about. It keeps the dogs home. I love trip tales and pictures, please share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good you are home. Sorry it wasn't cooler tho. I too have reread many my child hood favorites and still enjoyed them....even if I am wearing some amorphous animal print.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed your trip. I don't really like lobster. But the small version here, crawfish, are great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would enjoy seeing a lynx. I had a suit back in the 50's that had a lynx collar (before I quit wearing fur). It was beautiful.

    The zip line would have been calling my name!! I love doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I visited PEI when I was about 12, with my family. My mothr's favorite book was Anne of Green Gables. It bored me to tears and I never even finished it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was confused about PEI until I read your previous post. OK, Prince Edward Island, and I presume, the setting for Anne of Green Gables. I never read the books but did see some episodes of the TV series on PBS.
    It looks like there is no respite from the heat in the east and midwest. I hope you get some relief soon. Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found the lakes of northern Maine a perfect 70 F degrees fair weather. I asked a rest area visiting farm girl if they had that terrible heat we were putting up with at the start of the week, n she said no, it was like this day here- PEI is only a short bit more North from here, can't believe it wasn't cool for you there!
    Interesting list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I go through spells like that with lobster, too. Right now I am loving it - can't get enough. It is a rare treat these days.

    I am with Olga - never cared for Anne of Green Gables.

    I would love to visit PEI, someday. Or, Nova Scotia for that matter.

    And whales. Bucket list! I mean the mammals, not the country. LOL! Of course, I would not mind seeing the country either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just have to get to Maine...I want to eat lobster for breakfast, lunch and dinner too!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lot can be communicated in one-liners. More proof that "little is much".

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think to you, as to me, nature is what moves you most.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to see you back and posting. I'm betting that at some point that lynx did see you and chose to ignore you. It has been beastly hot here; disappointing to hear you were not much cooler that far north.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, I found your sidebar. Thank you. Are any of those blogs still up? And some where in my childhood memory is the thought that there were more than three Anne volumes. :) Now I have to go look.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.