Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Rural Gourmet.



Yesterday, I had just finished weeding the rain garden on the grounds of the nearby museum, and since I did not look too grubby, I stopped by a grocery that I rarely use to pick up some basic food items.

During this quick visit, something caught my eye.  As I passed the freezer cases I saw white 3-gallon plastic buckets of something sitting on the bottom of the case.  My curiosity got the better of me and I paused to read the top of the label and it said simply 'pork chitterlings'.  I was not exactly sure what these are, but I did not think they were probably healthy and I was sure they were a 'southern thing'.  It is a good-old-boy county that I live in after all.

If you Google images of pork chitterlings you will get photos of what look like little gray white slimy unappetizing grubs.  If you go further in research you will see that this food, sometimes called chitlins, is pig intestines.  To be a more accurate connoisseur...they are from the SMALL intestine.  Boy that makes me feel mouth watering better.  While I feel free to denigrate this food on my blog and might assume it is the food of poor people since it was given to slaves in our early history,  my research reveals that it is eaten everywhere across the globe.  I know that the French eat strange animal body parts...but this part of the pig is eaten EVERYWHERE!  Yet I still wonder why someone would need three gallons of it!

Nutritionally these rubber tubes are high in calories from fat.  What a surprise.  They get a C- in nutritional value but since their preparation requires detailed attention due to the fact they carry salmonella and e-coli, maybe weight issues are of no concern.  After a bit of e-coli, you can be very thin.

I did read that in the U.S. a small onion is added to mitigate what might be an unpleasant odor when it is cooked.  Really.  An unpleasant odor...wonder why?  When you have to add an ONION to erase odors...well, enough said!  I do not think I will be eating these in my future.

Now before my readers put me in the food snob column, as a small child I loved pickled pigs feet and did eat them as a snack with my dad.  Of course,  we were farm folk and food was never thrown out.  But when the pigs were slaughtered, I am sure we did not eat chitterlings.  We did have our standards.

21 comments:

  1. Tabor, my thoughts are the same as yours and I sit here typing away with my nose wrinkled up.
    But I also remember my dad eating pickled pigs feet :) Must be a Southern thing - but my children would run if they were offered to them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never eaten chitlins and have no plans to eat them but the people I know who think they're wonderful do buy them in large containers. I think they have to be cleaned in some way, so it apparently takes a lot of them to get enough for a meal. They also invite all their family, and anyone they ever knew, over to eat chitlins. All the more reason to buy them in 3 gallon buckets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never eaten chitlin nor seen where they were for sale although since I have been in Georgia and have eaten boiled peanuts maybe I just didn't look closely enough. May I add-- ewwwwwww

    ReplyDelete
  4. and my dad did eat pickled pigs feet also but they always looked very unappealing to me. I ate a lot of different meats though as he worked in meat processing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not tempted. Chitlins, pig's feet, head cheese all scary foods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Food, glorious food!
    What wouldn't we give for
    That extra bit more --
    That's all that we live for
    Why should we be fated to
    Do nothing but brood
    On food,
    Magical food,
    Wonderful food,
    Marvellous food,
    Fabulous food,

    [OLIVER]

    Anything is better with garlic.

    (LYNN)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I'd enjoy chitlins, but if you're going to kill and eat an animal I endorse the idea of wasting as little of it as possible. But I'm still not eating 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I lived in Virginia, I found out about scrapple and chicken livers. I had never eaten either before and did not then - and do not now.

    Chitlins - I will pass.

    Scrapple:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh and WOW! Those brownies look good. I suppose you have some younger company coming over to share them with?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I've often wondered why anyone would eat things that had an original use of holding things that the body was trying to dispose of. Intestines, liver, kidneys... No, thank you anyway. I figure if you mix up those things with your own things that are trying to get rid of stuff you might get the physical equivalent of one of those scenes in a sci-fi movie where an evil robot is told two contradictory statements and it blows itself up while saying, "That does not compute... That does not compute... That does not..." BOOM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a good ole southern gal who has never ever eaten chitterlings (called chitt-luns here)... I have never ever eaten pigs feet either.... AND--I don't like grits.... YES---I'm a southerner.... ha ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. *Long whistle-* at seeing those sauteed tomatoes!
    !Ewww~ at the Chitterlings! Glad they have not been forced on me yet- No pork, thanks!
    Maybe I should bake something... Ice Cream!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I looked up the Scrapple
    too- had never heard of it.

    ICE CREAM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for posting the yummy looking dessert at the end of this post. It helped to replace the mental image I had of that two gallon bucket of....yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  15. No chitlins for me but they probably aren't just for po'folk any more. I'm betting they cost a pretty penny to buy. We used to buy cow tongue and Ron would cook it for my mother and sister (and for himself). The butcher would hold a tongue for him because otherwise it would be discarded. The butcher would charge for it but very little. Now, for some reason, cow tongue has increased in popularity and the price has skyrocketed. (I thought about being amusing about "holding his tongue" but couldn't come up with anything.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. None for me either. Reading Granny Annies post, I'm reminded that mother often served tongue. I loved it until I was a teen. Offal....very fashionable stuff. I will stick to that last thing you showed us. Now that looks finger licken good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That does indeed sound unpleasant every step of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  18. And then you made brownies?
    I never want to try a chitlin but am happy to know what they actually are.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Unbelievable! What a strange world we do live in, but how interesting you make it! (I bet it's not eaten in Israel, though!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just dropped back by to add how much I do enjoy fried spam . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. RYN: I have some severe learning disabilities. One is maths which I do at the third grade waver. I managed to graduate from college only because they granted me wavers for the areas where I am nonfunctional...and boy am I.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.