Friday, August 24, 2012

Be Safe

I had taken a short class on food safety a month ago which I had mentioned in a comment and one of my blog readers who was recovering from a bout with bad food suggested I share what I learned.  So here are some bullets for you to print out and keep in the kitchen, if you wish.

Not a lot has changed over the years, but if you are reaching that elder age, your body has changed and can no longer fight off poisons and toxins as well as it used to, so please take to heart the information below even more so.  If you have infants and small children this also applies.

  • You CAN refreeze meat that you have thawed in your refrigerator IF your freezer maintains 40 degrees (F) or less.  You need to purchase an appliance thermometer to test this.  The meat does lose quality but remains safe to eat.
  • Do not purchase any damaged fresh fruits or vegetables that come from the grocery store.
  • Do not use detergent or bleach to wash fresh fruits or vegetables just rinse well with safe water.  You can use a solution of 1 tablespoon unscented liquid chlorine in one gallon of water to sanitize cutting boards, utensils and countertops.
  • While most plastic cutting boards do not harbor bacteria and most wooden cutting boards have a natural bactericide, these should be replaced when stained or heavily marked on a regular basis.

  • You must wash packaged salads even if they say they are triple-washed because bacteria has been found in these.
  • All perishables MUST be refrigerated within two hours of putting them in your grocery cart.
  • Fresh meat must be frozen if not used in two days.
  • When the power goes out:  the refrigerator will keep food cold for about 4 hours.  A FULL freezer will keep the temperature for approximately 48 hours and half full freezer about 24 hours.  Doors to these MUST remain closed.
And below a chart from USDA for guidance on temperatures for cooking in the oven and on the grill.  If you do not have a meat thermometer...why not?












16 comments:

  1. I recently had a stomach virus that was not food borne, but it sure left me with an aversion to some foods. And, funny, not even the ones I had recently eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reminders. The one about things having to be refrigerated within two hours of putting them in the grocery cart is why i shop with an ice chest and ice packs, and use insulated shopping bags. It might be overkill, but the stuff stays cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great info.... I have never heard of washing fresh fruits or veggies using bleach... Gads!!! Who would do that??? (Obviously, some people do.)

    We try to carry a cooler in our car when we shop--especially at Sam's (where we buy most of our meats). Sam's is about 30 miles west of us...

    Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I go to the market
    I try to come home immediately.
    Also carry ice chest when visiting big city.
    Wash, wash and wash most fresh veggies and fruit....
    I cannot be sick
    with my autoimmune disorder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a state certificate in Food Safety from when I was a fast food Manager years ago. I cringe at what I see folks do without changing gloves... Then there's the 5-second -rule folks... not in food service please!

    Alot of folks don't realize how toxic bleach is- It makes me ill. I'm chemically sensitive now, from years of hand sanitizer I think.

    I got these great, cheap plastic mats for cutting boards from Pampered Chef, easily replacable- separate ones for bread, meat, n veggies- highly washable n way safer! I must have 20 thermometers around here-

    I would add
    The definition of wash: (ie food or hands) minimum 23 seconds under clean, running water- any temperature.
    Few bother tasking the time...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've thought about getting a salad spinner for years. Maybe I will now, so that I can thoroughly wash and spin my greens.

    Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very useful information. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you. There's all sorts of stuff I didn't know or had changed there. Meat temps differ from those on my thermomemter, I never know you could refreeze meet...and on and on. Four days with cooked meet in my fridge was too much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a lot easier to just pick it out of my garden. I have left food in the fridge much longer than 4 hours when the power goes out, like 8 - 10 as we sleep. So far no problems.

    Good to know! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good reminder especially in view of the intense heat we've had this summer. I don't buy packaged greens any longer. I have large blue ice blocks in my freezer. When the power goes I quickly slip them into the top of the fridge. It seems to help maintain the cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice list. I usually use 165°F for cooking anything -- easier to remember.
    Another tip --of mine: after cleaning chicken ,or trimming beef or pork, clean and spray the area with the chlorine (bleach) solution that you mentioned. Better safe I say.

    ReplyDelete
  12. From bitter experience I know all about the 48 hours that freezer food stays edible. It doesn't stay fully frozen, though, and it's best to use it as soon as possible.

    We have frequent power cuts in winter, when high winds and heavy snow falls bring down power lines.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never thought of re-freezing meat. Almost all the meat we get has been pre-frozen except for local grass fed beef.
    Since it is usually warm here, I always put perishables in our little freezer bag with ice packs if I'm not going right home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always heard that meat should never be refrozen. I had no idea that refrigerator temperature could still allow for that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous11:53 PM

    I don't eat meat so food safety is easier.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My life was simpler before you told me this. Of course two years ago Ron and I both got salmonella poisoning so you would think we had learned.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.