Friday, August 03, 2012

Sunset Cruise

For me, this warm month is just the opposite of that physics where the sun hits a balloon and expands it to a nice bold size where it can bounce around with joy.  The sun (and resulting heat) hits my soul and deflates me as if all that hot air (that some might say I have an abundance of and love to share) disappears into the cool air conditioning and I collapse in a semi-coma on the sofa like a limp shadow of myself.  I search about for just the tiniest bit of energy to finish one last chore but every ounce seems to have retreated to the shadows.

My husband, on the other hand, is full of energy.  He has so much energy that just sitting still mid-afternoon might give him a heart attack and he cannot bob his foot long enough before he must jump up and begin another task.  He can always find some chore outside that needs to be done and come back in an hour later drenched in sweat looking like an Olympic swimmer with victory all over his face at the success of completing another chore on an unbelievable August afternoon.

This week he asked for an evening canoe trip after dinner.  I had put him off too many times and with his birthday (number 69) just around the corner, I knew I had to agree.  I indeed felt too guilty to turn him away one more time.  This wasn't really a 'canoe trip', because he attaches a small wooden transom to the stern of the aluminum canoe and starts a small gasoline motor that moves us through the humid air drying the sweat from our brows as we skim the water.

We crossed the inlet of the finger of the river and headed to the open waters where most boats had already reached their home dock in the waning evening.

We disturbed two birds (barely seen on the far left of this photo above) as we passed the area of the shore that is an orgasmic retreat for the fossil lovers at our local museum.  The dirt is like cement, so only the most dedicated would dig for fossils here.

I was concerned about the setting sun since our canoe cannot be seen by motor boats very easily.  Hubby handed me some bow lights and I spent a concerted effort while bouncing on a small chop trying to attach them under the lip of the bow in front of me.  Finally I was successful and when I tried to turn this red/right green/left light on I pushed and pulled without success.  I called back in frustration after my painful efforts.  Hubby explained with a carefree smile that that he had been having trouble pushing the light switch as well!  So we scooted on into the gray light without lights.



We pulled into a quiet beach that was exposed at low tide just to poke and explore and say a blessing for another day.



The beach was initially quiet and colored shells and pebbles decorated the shore.


I was just beginning to enjoy the end of the day when two energy addicted folks crossed the sunset with more enthusiasm than I have seen in quite a while.  Why am I the only one whose account is empty of energy?


I sat on a log and it groaned open mouthed.  No sympathy here.



Finally we got the sunset we were waiting for to recharge our spirit.


And just like an Olympic warrior in celebration of a great challenge hubby held the torch high as we made our way home.


27 comments:

  1. hey, my name is Jihan, I started following your blog a while now. Just wanted to say beautiful pics... and trust me your not the only one who is lacking energy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally with you on this one. One of my reasons for leaving Texas was the heat. I couldn't take it anymore. I felt like I was running a fever all summer long, just miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfection. Tabor, your photographs are magnificent. Sitting here in the cool (a/c) of the evening I could not feel the heat at all . . . just peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scorching days in Japan, too, which take up my energy... And lack of sleep because of Olympic games makes me feel weariness.
    However your pics, particularly the sunset makes me refreshed. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, I can really feel the heat just reading this. Tomorrow & Sunday will be in the mid 90's for us (very hot for OR) but we can't complain b/c it's been a chilly summer so far, unlike everywhere else.

    Your hubby cracks me up. I'm glad you got some good pics out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's energy? Whatever it is I know I don't have it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delightful and inspiring post!
    I loved that last photo!! Too cute
    Well written hun
    Hugs
    sueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are braver souls than we are. Our lake is quiet and we do not hear one boat motor. Unlike your spouse, we do not rejoice in dripping sweat:) Oh he looks so happy holding that beacon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, heat has a similar effect on me. But I guess, that is true of my part of the world - the heat in the tropics isn't something that'd energize anyone!
    Love the pictures. Wishing your husband a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have the exact same canoe. I feel like we are riding around in a Model T when we go out because everyone else seems to have a kayak. My husband hasn't asked me to join him on a paddle down the river (Liked the motor idea!) after the last time when I dumped the canoe twice in one trip. Some say there are no accidents.

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice...that would be a pretty cool trip...lots to find on the beach...and a great way just to get out....nice pics...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post! Today it has reached 90 here in Seattle, our hot weekend for the summer. I would love to end the day with a little boat ride on the lake!
    We turned on the air conditioner today for the first time in two years, but the upstairs is still quite warm. I tried to read and kept falling asleep, then tried to nap and stayed awake. :/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your use of words, and the groaning log really made me smile.

    I know what you mean about too hot weather. It makes me limp and a bit desperate sometimes. Personally I'd have SWUM alongside hubby - at least the water would cool me down! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous9:52 AM

    Your husband must be the younger brother of my Hunky Husband (age 76) who comes in from running looking much as you described. I cannot take heat. This summer, contrary to my feelings, has been a little cooler than last summer. So far, we've only had 32 days of triple-digit temperatures. By this time last year, it was 39 or 40.
    (Wilted) Cop Car

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm with you on the energy sapping effects of too much sun but it seems that your husband's suggestion for a nice cool evening on the water was quite a good one in the end. If only to see that sunset.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your husband reminds me of my husband and I am more like you.

    I bet you got replenished though. I did just looking.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So beautiful photos, Tabor! Specially the sunset pictures.
    Sounds you both had a great trip, and your husband looks very happy on the boat.
    My husband also has much more energy then me, princially when he plays with our grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tabor, thank you for letting me tag along with you. Oh what a magnificent sunset.
    Energy - at present time mine last until lunch. But this evening did manage to cut the half dry grass around cottage - so high the lawn tractor would hardly go through it.
    If I waited it would have to be bailed...

    ReplyDelete
  19. You leave me with a big grin. I have no idea how some folks gather in all that energy when it is so hot. I too am usually a lump when it is hot. Yes, look at him. Grinning. Happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. "account empty of energy" Mine too. We have been 95 to 107 the past 2 months. Nights 78 to 91. I have watched the pastures dry up and turn to dirt....the creeks and ponds evaporate. Not a drop of rain since may. The Missouri earth is dry 5 feet down. The water table is low-normal for this time of year. Every time I turn the faucet on drought damage images float in my mind. Farmers got 1 cutting of hay ---in may. Instead of the usual 3 or 4. There wil be no more cuttings. Hay is 4 times the cost---if you can find it. It looks like new Mexico with trees around here. Just breaks my heart. Yes I am a climate change believer. This is it. It's going to be an interesting next few years.

    Sorry for the rant tabor. I so under stand "account empty". Mine is way below empty. Horses are fine. Have hay. And hey---it rained Sunday. For almost 3 hours it rained. I could see every drop. And what a glorious smell. The horses went nuts. Opened the house up. Turned off the damned air. I'm stunned. And it's only 90 today! Enjoy your water and canoe. It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Getting out of the cool is leaving the cave. As blackheart sun rules the skies we must venture out. Even though it is only for a short period of time.

    Just passing through . . .

    ReplyDelete
  22. What pretty things you find on the beach!
    You take such nice photos, and I love seeing what it looks like where you live. I've never been there and really feel deficient in my knowledge of my own country.
    As far as energy goes, I have finally figured out that I have to exercise very soon after I get up for 20 minutes or so. I then have revved up my metabolism enough so I have more energy for the rest of the day. And it's important, too, to be able to sweat freely and it's good for you! I know ladies feel it's not dainty, but it is healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely photos. Must be fun to look for the shells. I don't welcome being out in the heat any more either and recall my mother saying the same when she got older. We're getting into 3 digit temp numbers, but can't complain this summer. We could certainly use some rain.

    ReplyDelete
  24. hi tabor, what a great synergy you have here. i wish we could do the same three decades from now.

    lovely shots. i never get tired of taking sunset and sunrise photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. "Why am I the only one whose account is empty of energy?"

    I hear you, honey. Often I just want to sit and look. Makes me happy. Happier than pushing myself to do something I might not enjoy anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lucky you have a canoe! I want one- but without the motor. I like to paddle. We have tons of loud jetski s here too- Another month before it;s quiet here again-

    Great pics

    ReplyDelete
  27. RYN:: Yes, rhinos are fascinating things to write about, but how naked do you want to be.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.