Thursday, November 01, 2012

Downfall of the Aftermath

As those of us who are intelligent understand, this type of weather is the new normal.  We have had 7 national weather disasters this year and had 14 last year.  Those who deny global warming and our role in it, will not be spared the forest fires, tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, or micro bursts to come any more than the rest of us.  We were spared the worst as I posted recently.  But while waiting for Sandy to arrive and a full 12 hours before we felt the strongest force of her dance, I looked out my formal room (I call it the library) window and saw this tulip poplar in the center of the photo leaning away from his compadres.  This tree is over 100 feet high and all the poplars that are the same height on this part of the yard have been compromised due to a septic drain field which was put in when we built the house.  We had lost another tree just like it and only a few feet from it last year.  I checked on it every 10 minutes and it continued to lean more.  I was fixing a snack when...


I did not see the actual fall, but was not surprised.  More firewood for next winter.  Another section of deer fence to repair!  We also lost the lovely little wild fruit tree down at the dock.  It was such a little tree, but its roots had sat in the brackish water too long.  It had provided many lovely little white blossoms each spring, but will do that no longer.


During the noon of Tuesday, long after Sandy had checked out and checked in up North creating more disaster, I went down to the dock at high tide.  The little dock platform on the right was not even visible.  Still this flooding was not as horrible as it could have been.




But I think the biggest surprise was when I opened the front door just before the tree fall and saw my old Mazda with its sad expression.  I had clearly neglected it way too much after the purchase of my new car.  While my new Camry sat safe and comfy in the garage, the Mazda was left outside in the wind and rain.  I stood in the doorway and saw the Mazda which sat like a small wet mammal wanting to come in and dry off!  It had ruined the lawn  in its crossing I noticed.


(Hubby did drive it here in the shelter of the garage.
Sandy does not have a driver's licence and you should see what she had done to other cars!)

26 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:38 AM

    That Mazda has wonderful character and lips!

    Lovely shots - though it's sad to hear of the destruction. It's been much worse though in other countries like poor Haiti and Cuba.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, your yard is gorgeous even in the rain and wind. Poor, neglected car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about global warming, and I fear we are in for more such events in the years to come.

    Sorry about the yard, which, nevertheless, looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely place you live in. Glad the damage was not too severe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely place you live in. Glad the damage was not too severe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A difficult time for all, but you have a lovely piece of property and I imagine it looks spectacular when all hell isn't breaking loose weatherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you're safe and no trees fell on your house. Amazing car ride. Did Harry Potter stop by?

    ReplyDelete
  8. People don't seem to realize when ice melts water in the ocean rises. When the ocean rises things get washed away. Will we learn and build further back, rebuild and watch it happen again, or get to work cleaning up our planet? I suspect the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't realize you were back East. Your outdoors looks spectacularly beautiful in these photos.
    Glad you were spared; but, oh so much destruction we have never seen the likes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sad about the loss of trees but I am glad that worse damage was not endured. You do indeed have a lovely piece of land.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree
    that our weather from now on
    will not be like in the past.
    I have one tree down as you come down the drive. Have not been back in the woods and will not go to investigate until someone is here. Do not need something falling on me. Everything in your yard looks so green and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. While climate change is normal over the course of time, we have sped it up, no doubt.

    It's always sad to lose trees to things like this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your grounds are lovely. I'm glad the tree fell AWAY from the house, and the car!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My gosh. Look at those skid marks behind it. As long as it is just wind pushed, it should be just fine. G and I are both pleased that the trees fell away from the house. So sorry about that septic field tho. Can it be fixed?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mage, hubby drove it next to the shelter of garage on the left in this picture, it was not blown by the winds...that would have been scary.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my! glad at least your house is ok

    ReplyDelete
  17. It does tend to rain on the just and the unjust alike, doesn't it. Sorry you lost the tree - it's hard to see them go unnecessarily, but glad you were spared the brunt of the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh. poor Mazda... But I'm glad that the damage you had wasn't worst.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness, I have really been out of touch for a long time. Loved reading your missed posts from your hook up with fellow bloggers to this aftermath of Sandy. Poor little Mazda:( Glad the damage was not worse but know the memories of this event will last a lifetime. You, of course, have captured it all very well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fantastic and fascinating post. A bit of everything. Every mood catered for. really totally delightful, thank you so much for the beauty, the sadness, the triumph and the humour of it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We had a tulip tree at our old house that always swayed, but never fell over, thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  22. We had a tulip tree at our old house that always swayed, but never fell over, thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  23. 'Global warming' is starting to make its way back into usage after being nearly pushed out by 'climate change'

    And as often happens, the voices of experts are drowned out by the noise of the crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You live in a beautiful place. I am glad you and yours are well.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Like all the others, I think your property is beautiful. It must be wonderful to look out at all the foliage year round. I know this because my back yard ain't to shabby either. :) Lots of trees and a few deer who visit often. No trees down for us this time around.

    I love the face on your car!

    ReplyDelete
  26. We have far too many poplars near the house. Did you photoshop your Mazda? I'm glad it and you are okay.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.